“Amazing Hospitality on a Beautiful Property!”

and 1 more site!
Toad Hall Hotel Arenal
Ranked #6 of 14 Nuevo Arenal B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 24, 2013

I stopped in at Toad Hall two afternoons and developed a deep sense of regret that we did not stay here! The guests, owners, and workers are all amazingly friendly and fabulous. The grounds are immaculate with a bird refuge area, walking sticks leading down to a federal owned trail that is amazing.

We also went for a phenomenal horse back ride, had amazing food, fabulous margaritas, a dip in the stunning pool. I highly recommend staying here, or at least stopping by for some fabulous conservation, fun, views, and adventure!!

Reviewed July 22, 2013

We stopped in here for lunch on our way from Arenal to La Fortuna! Don't let the 5000 signs fool you...it is not just up ahead. I have never seen so many signs to a place. Great marketing tactic but they may have over done it a bit! They have a stunning view that you get to sit and enjoy while dining and the is pretty good as well.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 21, 2013

I had a good meal of sea bass for a good price. Cute place, with fabulous views. People were very nice. The signs I had seen since before hitting La Fortuna were a bit annoying, but they did the job they are meant to do and made me curious enough to check it out. Reminded me of the signs for "The Thing" on the freeway in the States.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed July 20, 2013

I live in Nuevo Arenal.
Moya's is the best value.
Gingerbread is where we go for special occasions.
Delicias is good for a late night snack.
Tom' Pan was better when I first visited the area 8 years ago.
Lucky Bug is good for lunch.
The best lunch place I have found is an old coffee factory at the Cruz to Tierra Moranas. Can't remember name exactly at the moment.
Cafe y Macadamia, fifteen minutes from town, is in the top five best in the whole country. Good food for okay value.
When Toad Hall first reopened, I went. I want to know all the eateries in the area. I found it over priced for nothing special food.
Since then, I will not return due to the increasing visual pollution of the advertising signs that are ugly sloppy red spray paint on cheap yellow plastic or bamboo. And for the greater part, well no really all that I have had the conversation with in the local Tico community, agree.
As well, one of the signs actually lies when it says there are no more places to stop for miles, when the next, much nicer hotel, is just around the corner, less than a mile.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank Arednalie
Lydia V, Owner at Toad Hall Hotel Arenal, responded to this reviewResponded July 22, 2013

Hi Folks,

Another review about our signs from an "anonymous" local. Lets see that's 3 bad and 25 great :)

I would like to point out again that although this person claims to live very close by they have never stopped to inquire or complain about the signs. I wonder if they are aware of the jobs they provide and the happiness they provide the tourists,the money they bring to the community and the children they help .If they had read the reviews by the tourists (and other locals) they would find that they are in fact not only well received but appreciated.

The "sloppy" red paint is because little children from our community actually paint these signs and love doing it. I spend a lot of time with these children helping them to learn many different things including english, mathematics , care , respect for others and a different way of life so that when they grow up , perhaps they will have better opportunities in life.

If they had stopped to ask , they might know all of these facts.

It is so hard to deal with people who are outright cowards and do not possess the intestinal fortitude to speak to you face to face but would rather hide behind pseudo names and try to cause problems by writing a bad review that is clearly not based on anything but them being annoyed. I agree that there are other wonderful places to stop in our area and the ones they mentioned are in fact wonderful. I am so happy they are here, it gives us all choices and good ones too !

I wonder if this person donates time and money to our community , like helping to repair our police station, supplying items for auctions to support our schools , provide employment and support for the folks who live here and who's country it actually is or do they just sit around and find things to complain about like so many I have encountered here.

It's also amazing to me that this person doesn't realize in trying to cause damage to us, all they really succeed in doing is to provide the opportunity for me to respond and reach our Trip Advisor audience who have been here and clearly also welcome the opportunity to respond with positive reviews to back us up.

Whomever you are , I wish you well and welcome you to come on by. I am available anytime to chat with you and show you all the good things we are doing here, from helping small children to our bird rescue operation. WE CARE and are thankful to the Costa Ricans for the opportunity to be here.

Warmest regards,
Lydia

Reviewed July 15, 2013 via mobile

This place has an amazing view and the food rivals that view! We were so surprised by the huge portions! The owner kept checking in with us and even brought a basket of plantains for Free while we waited for our food! He was great with the kids even gave them a toad hall coin worth a buck to spend on an ice cream. Of course my son picked out a more expensive ice cream but the owner said no worries. My daughter left her whistling toad she bought on the counter and he ran out to bring it too her. I could have down without the whistle but thanks she loves it!

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed July 14, 2013

Advertised like South of the Border, if you are traveling from La Fortuna to Tilaron, this is a great place for a break.. Never tried the hotel, but the food was all very good and quite inexpensive. Great view from the dining area of the lake. Recommended for the traveler who needs a break.

The hotel looked nice but never used it..

Reviewed July 14, 2013

The signage for this place is all over the area. So we stopped for lunch and had a great time. It is really a small B&B with a big shop, good restaurant, funky bar, great views and great people.
Fun stop between La Fortuna and Nuevo Arenal.