“A Family Paradise from the Perspective of a Child”
Villa Encantada Lakefront  40 acre Eco-Nature Preserve. 'You'll think you died and went to heaven'
Villa Encantada ~~ A vacation DESTINATION~`~ one you won't forget Villa Encantada ~~ Tri Level Architectural Masterpiece for your enjoyment
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Inquiry
Excellent
Villa Encantada ~~ A vacation DESTINATION~`~ one you won't forget
Villa Encantada ~~ Tri Level Architectural Masterpiece for your enjoyment
Side View ~~Huge Terrace w/ Lake Views. Perfect for your family reunion or wedding celebration
Your Hosts at Villa Encantada ~~ Family Photo of Glenn, Patricia and Gloriana
Kayaking in your Backyard.. too much fun!
Kayaks for up to 10 persons (included~~ no extra charge). Kayak on the Ponds or 5 min walk to lake
Brand New (June 2013) 100 ft Waterslide at Twilight
5 yr old enjoying the Waterslide. Fun for all ages. Little people don't go too fast. It's safe!
Priceless Moments.. what a Blast!
Spring Fed Swimming Pool (no chemicals)
Pool at Twilight ~~ Chemical Free Crystal Clear Spring Water ~~ A Dream Come True!
The Owner and your Host, Glenn.. enjoying the fruits of his labor. This is where YOU need to be!
Waterslide.. Awesome adventure! Want to go fast..lay down ~~ 100 ft in 4 seconds..WOW! Gravity Rules
Villa Encantada Magical and Mezmerizing photo by Guest Randy Gribbin taken  in Jan 2012
Another Fabulous Sunset at Villa Encantada
Meet Chalupa, our resident 2 Toed Sloth ~~ scroll down for more pics of this tame, sweet animal
Chalupa lives in the tree next to the Pool/Slide.. she's free and not a caged animal
Chalupa climbing her tree in the gardens.. right next to the Pool/Slide. She's free and happy !
Lindo ~~ our Axanthic (Blue Morph) Green Iguna is a regular visitor to our gardens. ,more pics below
Glenn w/ Lindo, our tame Blue Morph Green Iguana..Awesome colors to be found only in Nature
Howler Monkey on a daily visit ~~chillin' out on the Preserve.
Villa Guest with Bass caught in our backyard pond.. delicious dinner.. YUM!
Your kids will forget where the left their Ipods/Nintendos
Your kids will have a blast swimming in this huge pond over 120 ft X 100 ft
Refreshing outdoor shower prior to entering the swimming pool. This young man is a happy camper!
Villa Encantada Private Waterfalls in the Rainforest
Awesome beauty of Nature found on our Trails
Villa Encantada Guests enjoying a massage
Nature at its Exquisite Best
Your own Private Paradise
Tame Peacock meandering thru the gardens of Villa Encantada
Peacock in it's Mating Ritual at Villa Encantada
Master BR Suite w/ Queen Sized Bed,  Fireplace, Full Bath & Incredible Lake & Garden Views
Master BR Suite 2nd pic perspective from front view.
Swan Towel Sculpture ~~ Deatils of a fine hotel await you
Newly Remodeled Master Bath
Mini-Master 1 Suite with Queen Sized hand carved bed overlooks manicured gardens and Rainforest
Front view of Mini-Master 1, exquisite hand carved furnishing
Mini-Master 2 Suite with Queen Sized hand carved bed overlooks manicured gardens, Ponds & Rainforest
Mini-Master 2 ~~ ALL suites elegantly furnished w/  full length drapes, & private entry from Gardens
Fine Hand Carved Doors throughout Villa Encantada
Master Loft, sleeps 4 or 6 using the Sofa Bed, awesome views of the Lake and Gardens
Master Loft has a Double Bed, 2 Singles and a Double Sofa Bed.. ALL new Furniture and Ortho Beds
Dining area w/ Unique Carved Table for 8, w/ glass walls to enjoy Nature at your fingertips
Wet Bar and Kitchen overlooking the Ponds and Garden, Hand Craved Doors and Hardwood are everywhere
Dining Room with Living Room ~~ Casual Elegance at it's Best!
Sunken Living Room has Fireplace and Super Comfortable Sofa
Hand Painted Mural of Lake Arenal. Guitar and othe instruments for your enjoyment, play some music
C. Garvey's pic of Spiral Starcase at Villa Encantada
Garden view from Master Loft deck.. great spot for some R&R
Main Living Area w/ Wet Bar, Sunken Living Room/ Fireplace and Awesome Lake Arenal views
Sunken Living Room  with Fireplace & Awesome Lake Views ~~ Cable TV ~~ WiFi ~~~~ SWEET!!!
Lake View from the Master Loft has outside deck to take your coffee or read a book, or suntan
Full Kitchen w/ Granite Counter Tops, Wet Bar, New Appliances & Refi w/ Ice Maker. Everything U need
Wet Bar/ Kitchen overlooking our Gardens, Ponds and Lake Arenal. Nature at it's best!
Full wrap around kitchen with plenty of space.
Our Lovely Tame Peacocks wandering thru the Gardens
Your Host ~ Glenn showing off a 9 lb Guapote Bass caught in the pond at the villa ~ and released
We have some 10 Lb Bass to catch and release right in your back yard ~ Awesome Fishing
Fly Fishing on the Villa Encantada Preserve. You CAN catch fish on our streams... Awesome!
Lake Arenal & Rain Forest view from our 1200 sq ft deck perfect for Weddings and Family Reunions
Spacious Terraza overlooking Lake Arenal
Miles of Manicured Gardens ~~ Everywhere
Villa Encantada ~~ An Architectural Delight
Villa Encantada ~~ Front View
Villa Encantada... an architectural delight
Huge tiled deck for catching a tan. Great place for your family reunion or Wedding!
Comfy furniture for a relaxing day. Fire up the BBQ and enjoy life ~~ you deserve it!
Your own private Paradise. It's our pleasure to share this with yor group/family
Sit under this waterfall for a great massage.
Our private pool on the river for a nice swim.. concrete lined.. and so refreshing.
Your Host Glenn at the Waterfalls Pool
Pristine Waterfalls  and swimming area
Volcan Arenal~~ a safe 15 miles from Villa Encantada..Awesome & Spectacular to watch Lava Flows
Huge BBQ overlooking the Ponds and Gardens
Villa Encantada Front Terraza pic by R. Gribbin 01/12
Magical Full Moon over Villa Encantada
Pond at Villa Encantada to Kayak, swim and fish
Swimming Pool Waterfall ~~ Crystal Clear Chemical Free Water ~~ You can Drink this Water.. honest!
Swimming Pool Waterfall...details like this everywhere
Puma Woodcarving on our trails ~~  a work of Art
Arbol Encantado (Magic Tree) Old Growth Primary Forest Tree at 300+ ft tall on our Nature Preserve
Arbol Encantado only a 5 minute hike from Villa Encantada. Over 400 years old ~~ simply INCREDIBLE!
Rainforest Stream ~~ Waterfalls everywhere! Thanks Scott for some great Pics!
The Tanden Falls after a Rainshower.. the force & beauty of Nature
Let me take you on a Trail Hike..the next 10 pics of Primary Rainforest, Manicured Trails, Waterfall
After 16 Years nothing delights me more than an early morning hike.. always new critters and Nature
Monkey Trail.. along the River w/ waterfalls,lots of wildlife, including Howler & Whiteface Momkeys
Awesome scenery at every turn
Primary Old Growth Rainforest still amazes me after 15 years
Mini Falls.. a great spot to relax and enjoy Nature
Miles of Manicured Trails... well marked ~~ you can't get lost
Easy access trails ~~ for explorers of all ages
LadyBug Trail.. well manicured with lots of Orchids and  photo opportunities
Bridge to the Island
Rare... Poison Dart Frog found on a trail hike
Surprises like this tiny Tree Frog around every corner
White Tail Deer on a frequent visit to Villa Encantada
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Reviews from our community

Any
Var C
Toronto
“A Family Paradise from the Perspective of a Child”
Reviewed March 12, 2013 for a stay in March 2012

I was 9 years old when my family took me to Glen Mc Bride's "Villa Encantada". SInce "Encantada" means enchanted I found his place more than enchanted. The day after we arrived I saw the two baby peacocks and a female turkey sitting on the ground. I thought this was peculiar at first but then my mum told me that she had talked to Glen and he and told her that the female turkey was helping raise the baby peacocks.

Now I will share with you an experience that I had with the peacocks. At first the peacocks were running away from me all the time but then, after about 4 or 5 days I had tamed the baby peacocks and they were able to stand on my hand with no problem. This experience (from a nine year old's point of view) probably changed my life. Leaving the property was hard since I was very attached to the baby peacocks. Then, when we returned to our home in Canada on Easter morning Glen sent us a video of two new baby peacocks (that were eggs when we were there) hatching! What a lovely surprise!

The pond was also very beautiful and I kayaked and fished. There are also a lot of beautiful fish in the pond. The trails he had made that led into the rain forest on his property to the waterfalls and to the 400 year old tree were also very beautiful.

Apart from that there was also a bird feeder that we put our fruit and veggie scraps on and the most beautiful birds including toucans came to and we watched them eat and took pictures. WOW!!!!

I would definitely recommend this place to anyone travelling to Costa Rica with children that love nature.

from Giacomo

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: Glen McBride and everything about the property!
Liked least: Leaving the property!
Traveling group: Young Children
Friends getaway Older travelers
Families with young children Large groups
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
Mar 11, 2013
Hi Giacomo,

Gia, I am flattered that you would write your great review a full year after your family visited Villa Encantada. That your special memories are still in your minds eye after so long makes me very happy, and this is my special reward for all that I try to do here at the villa.

I remember you very well my friend, and will never forget that incredible enthusiasm you showed when encountering nature and all that it has to offer. Yes, you tamed those baby peacocks and thanks to you, our guests can interact with and enjoy them. It was incredible that you had the baby pea chicks actually sitting on your arm, and following you around ~~ very impressive, and I'm so glad that this experience changed your life in such a positive way.

I hope you'll find your way back here to Villa Encantada Gia.A new project that I'm starting this May (2013) is the building of a 100 ft. Water Slide onto the swimming pool. I think this activity will be alot of fun for our young guests and I'm sure you would have a blast on this slide. I'll send you pics when it's finished.

Thanks for sharing your feelings with me and those guests that follow you. We'll keep the light on for you amigo.

Your Friend,
Tennessee
Reviewed March 12, 2013 for a stay in February 2013

A romantic getaway Older travelers
Luxury-minded travelers
Mar 12, 2013
Dear Kathy and Family,

Thank you so much for taking your valuable time to express your sentiments regarding your 2nd visit to Villa Encantada, and for posting your excellent photos of the villa and grounds. For myself and our staff there isn't anything more personally rewarding than your 10 Star review as a Repeat Guest. It just doesn't get any better than this and I do share yours (and all) guests reviews with the staff, as they give us all such a wonderful feeling of accomplishment and make us all work even harder to maintain a standard of excellence and to ensure that our guests come away with positive and long lasting memories to be always cherished, and tell friends/family what a special time that was experienced. The upgrades that you mention are to give our guests all the comfort and luxury that they so richly deserve. I am excited about our next "project", the building of a 100 ft Water Slide. This should provide lots of fun and thrills for kids (and adults) of all ages. I hope to have it completed by early May 2013. So, yes ~~ we're still a "work in progress" after 16 years. This is alot of fun for me... the opportunity to meet great folks, make new friends and provide a slice of paradise on our Nature Preserve that you just don't find very often in todays world. We're looking forward to your next visit amiga. . Hasta Pronto Amigo, Your Host, Glenn
patsyruth
“Fabulous”
Reviewed March 3, 2013 for a stay in February 2013

What a great place to have the perfect vacation. The house is so comfortable and nice. The best part are the grounds. Not to mention the pools. Glenn has created a vacation paradise. This was our second trip to Villa Encantata and we plan on returning. Glenn is a great host and if you have a request rest assured he will make sure it happens. Thank you for another great vacation.

Value Location
Mar 2, 2013
Dear Patsy,

Return visitors (like yourself and your "Gang of Four") to Villa Encantada are the "Icing on the Cake" in my efforts to make Villa Encantada a Very Special Destination for my guests ~~ and that you plan on coming back for a 3rd visit is more than I could hope for. In fact, I do recall that you had a tear in your eye when you had to leave... Very Sweet and Touching for me to experience! Thank You so very much, and I will keep the lights on for you. Hurry Back Amiga!

Your Friend,
Bermudas
Reviewed March 3, 2013 for a stay in February 2013

A romantic getaway Older travelers
Luxury-minded travelers
Alicia P
Chicago, Illinois
“An Awesome Vacation - Very Highly Recommended!”
Reviewed March 1, 2013 for a stay in January 2013
person found this review helpful

We stayed at Villa Encantada for a week with a group of 11 family members. The Villa is a beautiful, spacious retreat that offered so much that it was difficult to leave. The accommodations are accurately described but the photos can't possibly do the beauty of this place justice. You can spend hours exploring the grounds - more to see than I can even describe here. The hospitality we received from the homeowner was truly top notch. We felt that our every need was attended to immediately. We were assisted with all planning of excursions away from the villa, complete with car service (who happened to be the nicest married couple that treated our family like their own). Our kids (ages 8 and 9) had plenty to do around the property and didn't have a moment of boredom - kayaking in the pond, feeding the peacocks, swimming in the pool, exploring through the forest, and much more. I can't recommend this place highly enough!! It's such a beautiful, secluded location that feels like a true getaway.

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Traveling group: Extended Family
Friends getaway Older travelers
Families with young children Large groups
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
Feb 28, 2013
Thanks so much Alicia for taking the time to share your sentiments about Villa Encantada. It was an honor hosting your lovely, enthusiastic family, and especially watching the kids exploring the grounds, enjoying the swimming pools, fishing and kayaking on the ponds, hiking the miles of trails through the virgin Rainforest, seeing the monkeys and sitting under the waterfalls ~~ the shrieks of laughter and joy are music to this Nature Preserve and I'm convinced that this enthusiasm really does create an energy that makes this place seem Larger than Life ~~ a Nirvana in it's own right! I can hardly wait to see you all again.
Send pics please Alicia ~~ I know you have some awesome ones that I'd love to post.
Hasta Pronto Amigos!
Your Host and Friend,
Alabama
Reviewed February 1, 2013 for a stay in October 2012

Recommended for:
A romantic getaway People with disabilities
Older travelers Luxury-minded travelers
Feb 1, 2013
Thank you Very Much Herr for your kind words and detailed Guest Review. In the 15 years of hosting guests at Villa Encantada I've had the pleasure of meeting so many wonderful people and families, and making lots of friends in the process ~~ and your familys' visit was one of those that was very personally rewarding and will always be memorable for me. I strive to make a difference in your Costa Rican expereince ~~ to help you "hit the ground running" and to be available 24/7 to ensure the best possible experience for our guests. And my reward is seeing the smiling faces of our guests and in your familys case,,, an unbridled enthusiasm that "makes my day". I especially enjoy it when our guests spend as much time on the property as possible (as you did) enjoying the spectacular nature preserve at your fingertips. We'll keep the light on for you amigo and hope to see your smiling faces again as soon as time allows.

Cheers, Glenn
San Diego
Reviewed January 19, 2013 for a stay in January 2013

A romantic getaway Luxury-minded travelers
Jan 19, 2013
Greta, Thank You so much for your kind words and taking your valuable time to recap your time with us at Villa Encantada. Reviews like yours are what all villa owners strive for and are a feather in our cap at Villa Encantada. Creating all that Villa Encantada has to offer is really a Labor of Love for me, and after 15 years is STILL a work in progress. I keep trying to add new amenities, and to give our guests a great value for their hard earned dollars. My reward is seeing our guests enjoying the villa, the extensive gardens with miles of hiking trails, waterfalls, swimming pools, kayaking on the ponds, firing up the BBQ and enjoying all that nature has to offer. It was an honor to host your lovely family Greta. "We'll keep the light on for you" and hope to all of your smiling faces again as soon as time allows.
Your Host, Glenn
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a vacation rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travelers
Set up your free listing