“Superb!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Gingerbread Restaurant

Gingerbread Restaurant
Ranked #2 of 22 Restaurants in Nuevo Arenal
Cuisines: Central American, Costa Rican, International
Good for: Bar scene, Families with children, Kids, Special occasions, Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Cash Only, Digital Payments, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
“Superb!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2013 via mobile

This restaurant had been recommended to me bonus Susan Haskins of IL and our B&B owner, Trent, confirmed that our visit would not be complete without eating here. Well, we were certainly NOT disappointed!! The service was outstanding and Eyal, the owner, was his gregarious warm self! And, what can I say that hasn't been said before about the food - well, it was superb, outstanding, scrumptious, and oh sooooo good!! A must do for anyone that enjoys a great meal, terrific wine selection, outstanding service, and a great atmosphere !!

• Hebrew first
Vancouver, Canada
“We probably ordered the wrong thing.....”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2013

We had the roast suckling pig. While it was good, it could have had a herb rub as it seemed to lack a bit of flavour, but was cooked to our desired tenderness. The wine selection is very good. The other couples had chicken schnitzel which they really enjoyed. The ambience complete with the cat at the bar are the best we've seen in the Arenal area. We will definitely be going back there again to try some of the other offerings. The locals rave about the place so it might have been an off night for our taste buds, not being quitters we'll be back!

• 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Hamptons, New York
“A Must Treat for Yourself and Your Guests!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2013

I have been going to this restaurant since it opened. I have been on all 7 Continents and dinned at some of the world's best. But it took an adventure to The Rain Forest to discover My Favorite Restaurant in The World! Enjoy the Food, Drinks and Staff at this Landmark! You too can travel the world looking for what others call "Their Favorite"! I believe you would agree with me on this one! The mushroom dish is to Die For:-)

Marengo, Ohio
“Don't leave Costa Rica without eating at the Gingerbread!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2013

I feel blessed to have experienced a meal at Gingerbread! Experience is exactly what it is; the atmosphere, the view, the aromas, the hospitality, the food, the friends, the wine and even the cat! All of it together was amazing!
We went after a long day at the volcano area and arrived around 6pm. We were lucky because of a friend to have Eyal open the restaurant especially for our group of 18. He greeted us at the door with a warm welcome. He served us wine from a large assortment from around the world. He let us try before until we found one to suit our individual pallet. After a time of getting to socialize he asked us to sit down so he could serve us the appitizers.
WOW! He started with 3 different appetizers, (I am not a foodie so may not have these titled exactly right) mussels, a tuna & steak salad and a mushroom dish. All were wonderful, but I would have licked the plate of the mushrooms, it was my favorite! I have never had anything like it, but would love to have every day!
Eyal came out with each presentation to explain what he had made. You could tell how much he enjoyed cooking for us. It was a love of food!
After some time to relax, enjoy some more wine and enjoy the company the main course was served.
Another WOW! We were served (again I can't explain with perfection) a mongolian steak salad dish, a pasta dish and shnitzel. All were so delicious. The steak dish was a little spicy for me, but I had a second helping anyway!
We all finished the main dishes saying we were full and would never eat again, yet when dessert arrived we acted as if we had not eaten that night! We were served bananas foster, banana bread and a chocolate/macadamian nut dish. All were amazing! I have made bananas foster myself, but it tasted nothing like this dish.
This restaurant is a must if you are in Costa Rica! You should go out of your way to eat here!
I am so glad I have had this experience!

Montreal, Canada
“Just incredible ...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 17, 2013

Some say it's the best place to eat while in Arenal, I'd say it's almost worth going to Arenal just to eat there. We stayed at nearby Villa Decary for 4 nights and ate at Gingerbread for 3. Las Delicias in town makes really good cansados, but hey, one can only eat so much cansado on one given trip. Now granted, Gingerbread is quite a bit more expensive than any soda you'll stop by, but it's still pretty cheap per north american standards. Besides the food, Eyal is a pretty colorful host. If you go, I suggest you sit at the bar. Thanks Eyal for your hospitality. And you were right, I'd rather stay near Arenal than at the beach!
PS: make sure you reserve or you just won' eat there.

• Visited December 2012