“Condescencion ruined atmosphere, but food good”

Tom's Pan German Bakery
Ranked #1 of 1 Dessert in Nuevo Arenal
Cuisines: German
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Takeout
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Takeout
Reviewed October 22, 2013

Kind of like "South of the Border" in the US, we passed the multiple signs for the bakery for many years until we were finally compelled to stop and check it out. It was mid-afternoon and the rains were due, so the selection of fresh baked goods was poor. We ordered from the menu, and the bratwurst was excellent. However, the owner was so condescending that it ruined the experience for me. Granted, I don't know much about German food, but when I asked questions he would simply read the entire menu to me as if I were a schoolchild, and did not answer the questions I posed. When I asked if there were any plain croissants, he pointed and recited everything in the display case, all of which were obviously stuffed, which is why I asked him if he had plain ones. We let it go rather than take offense, took advantage of the wi-fi, put up with the cat that climbed on my lap and got between me and my food. As for the cat, I really like that sort of thing, but Tom's manner was so superior it even made me dislike the liberties he gave to the cat - but no slack for us. Maybe I was having a bad day, maybe he was, but after paying $42 for our lunch, I vowed not to return.

Reviewed October 20, 2013

After a fun drive around Lake Arenal we decided to stop at this colorful and festive looking bakery for some lunch. Not much to report. Average food. Average atmosphere. Way below average service. We asked a few questions and were bored with the answers. Back in the States, we know a few German style bakery/restaurants with way more flavor and style. Tom's left me unimpressed. As a final note, there was a cat that kept coming up to us and jumping on nearby seats and poking his head towards our food. Not a cool cat at all!

Reviewed October 16, 2013

helpful owner , great cozy place , wonderful Sauerbraten and fantastic bread ( and free WI FI )
love the place !

Reviewed October 8, 2013

I lived in Arenal for 4 months and visited the Bakery many times as their coffee was almost addictive! Their baked goods were all delicious with melt in your mouth pastry.

Reviewed September 2, 2013

One would expect more from a German owned bakery. While the sweets were good, the sandwiches were at best, average. Not that many choices around town, but don't knock your socks off to eat here.