“PURRRRREEEEE HEAVEN!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Nuevo Arenal
boston
“PURRRRREEEEE HEAVEN!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2009

My husband and I drove by this hotel while on our way to check- into Tabacon Hotel (uggh) (see review - very disappointed and overpriced Tabacon was!) We were mentioning that THIS (La Mansion) was the type of place that we wished we had booked instead. ... just by its looks alone - we gasped at its beauty while driving by. We promised ourselves that we would look into it when we got home. Well,.. we did look into it, and booked it for a 5 night stay and was not disappointed! - it was EXACTLY what we were looking for on the first visit and certainly didn't get at our other place.

It was,.... literally,... pure heaven, and everything we were hoping for - peaceful, beautiful, quiet, & tranquil!

The pool area is an infinity pool that overlooks beautiful Lake Arenal. The view will literally take your breath away! It has a long skinny pool if you like to do laps - me, Im a plunger :) -just to keep cool while sunning. The infinity pool overlooks the mountains and lake. It has overturned terracotta pots all around it with water features running thru them. There are pre-columbian influenced concrete sculptures all around the pool as well as the whole lounging area. The best is, you can not hear a pin drop, - just the birds and water features trickling thru! There is also an area next to the pool, that is a large covered spa which resembles a small size rectangle pool with banquette seating. Leo the owner will be glad to turn the jets on for you, but it is all spring water and warm/hot regardless if you dont turn on the bubbles. The regular lap pool is natural spring water as well. There are many tables and loungers available. Towels you get in the lobby area which is very close.

First, people mention the location being far - yes its a bit further from the others, however, we really didn't agree that it was all that far?? - we found that surprising. We rented a car and it was less than 15 min. to Nuevo Arenal (where there is restaraunts, shopping galleries and stores are) and approx. 35-40 min. from La Fortuna (larger shopping area). There is also so many restaurants close by to La Mansion itself - within minutes drive, so it did not pose a problem for us. Also, about three restaurants in walking distance from the hotel, - literally next door. One place was the dive-y "soda rey" restaurant which had a tico couple (husband & wife) serve us very inexpensive costa rican food over a wood burning stove! It was great. The view is crazy. Beer wasn't on the menu but we asked for Imperial beer and they gave it to us :) no problem! Loved the authentic feel. We actually loved that the hotel was further away from all the touristy area stuff- and, that it had the BEST view of Lake Arenal - bar none! you will find nothing as good as this view and from each priv. cottage as well - that is for sure! It is literally breath taking! - one you never get sick of seeing every day. We drove by several hotels, checking them out for future visits, and none had what this hotel offered as far as view. It makes up for the lack of touristy stuff and the value for what we got was just excellent.

The main hotel is located up on the mountain-side along with all the priv. cottages overlooking the lake. You drive up a hillside with horses and grazing cows. You have your own private cottage/villa (everyone does!) It is authentic Costa Rican. If you are looking for the slick modern rooms that resemble a Hyatt in Miami airport - well... then pls. stay at Tabacon. THIS, La Mansion, IS the real thing. The rooms were just charming. I didnt' really understand the past review about thin sheets(?). Ours were great. The cottages are clean, and decorated adorably. Each cottage had its own private terrace and a view to die for no matter which one you got - we had cottage 23! All of them over look Lake Arenal and the mountains so you can't go wrong.

The value was also amazing. Thank you economy! We reserved a couple months in advance and they were having a special promotion! We stayed Mar 30th until April 7th. Wow. We were told they run great promotions (especially lately with the economic issues - so, hey, can't hurt to ask) we got a two bedroom cottage (all the cottages are 2 bdrm actually) for $195 which included breakfast and dinner! We didn't have any use for the second bedroom but wished we did as they do not charge you for additional people. The unit has cute hand-painted murals of monkeys, coaties, rainforest, waterfalls, painted on the walls. The beds were very comfortable and extra pillows in the closet which I always need. Each cottage had a pretty good size refridgerator which was really nice - we kept our water, bottles of wine, some Imperial local costa rican beer and snacks in there. Rooms had hair dryer, coffee maker, 40-channel satellite tv which worked great - majority were english channels which was also nice :) Even got CNN and Fox News. All cottages had ceiling fans and air-conditioning which all worked fine. The shower had one of those big rain heads that was awesome. The tile was authentic in the bathroom and just so pretty and quaint. It was a pretty good size bathroom with double sinks too. Terracotta floors. A sitting area with a couch in the small living room area below (bedroom is up a level). We had a beautiful large bouquet of fresh local flowers on the table inside when we arrived. Also, every day we were surprised with this adorable towel-art shaped as animals that looked so real! You'd find one on top of the bed, then we'd go into the bathroom and on the sink was another!- then one on the floor to the shower stall. The maid must of spent so much time just making these and she is a true artist. The eyes and noses, and special effects were done with fresh flowers!! It was such a cute surprise every day. One of the best parts was that every cottage has a KILLER view! Did I say that enough?! :) Again, each is overlooking Lake Arenal and takes your breath away. Each cottage has its own priv. patio terrace outside with 3-4 rocking chairs, and a table with chairs for eating. Each cottage is surrounded by beautiful fauna & flora. and you can not see the neighbor or hear them which was more important to us. Lots of lush greenery and flowers/bushes separate each cottage and you really feel alone. My husband and I sat at night (no bugs to boot!) and had a glass of wine nightly and just talked - the silence is deafening. You overlook the lake and the rolling hills. Horses are grazing with their babies 100 ft. in front of you. It looks like its out of a movie.

The restaurant in La Mansion is a coverted Barn - its rustic and has a look of casual-comfortable. Open-air. Not formal fancy. The dinner which was included in our stay was surprisingly gourmet and delicious, but, with decent portions. You got a choice of appetizer (out of 2) , entree (out of 4) OR have Dessert (choice of 3) instead of App. The food was so good - we were thrilled as it was included. Wow. We had better meals here than when we ventured out. Had a good wine list too. The breakfast was crazy good!! It is also complementary and I honestly dont' know HOW they can offer this much and turn a profit! First, your given a silver platter of sliced tropical fruits, papaya, mango, pineapple, watermelon and cantelope. Then you get a basket of breads (warm) with butters/jams. A small cheese plate also accompanies this. Very european. Then, you get endless juice of choice and Coffee. Since I am a coffee person! I asked for a pot of coffee to leave with us at our table the first morning, rather than run the poor waitress ragged with my constant requests of refills. They happily put a thermos pot of coffee at our table every morning after, without asking. It was great. After all this food, they give you, a menu! You can order what you want. Sausage, bacon, omelettes, macadamia-banana pancakes! just too much to mention. I dont know how they do it. Everything is made to order and so fresh. A couple of mornings, I forgoed the menu breakfast as the fruit/breads/cheese were enough for me.

They have free high speed wireless internet in the back and front lobby area. There is a pool table in back . It has couches, flat screen tv, bar, and computer internet terminal available for free use if you do not have a laptop. I found it to be fast. My husband would sit in the front lobby couches which is open-air overlooking the lake & mountains while using his laptop. A little slower internet than the hard computer terminal offered, but was really pretty close fast-wise. People wrote in here that it was dial up but that is not true.

The owner Leo, from Belgium, was so accomodating. We had our own car so we didnt' need tour help, but I saw him help others cheerfully. He has lots of printed info. on Tours or you can drive into town for more tours offered. The tours will pick you up and drop you off at the Hotel if you do not have transporation. (for free) Leo went out of his way for every guest and he is truly, not only a good businessman, but a very gracious host. He made sure to follow-up on anything we asked. I see why his place has been so successful in over 21 years.

Overall, I have to say, that this place one in our top three places we've ever stayed on vacation. Period. I am in my late 40's and my husband is 52 and we thought this was just perfect atmosphere for us. I consider myself a bit of a tough critic (see my past reviews) and this place just made us feel so relaxed. It was a really nice hotel ...but also very casual, clean, comforable, - real, and what we wanted. We loved it so much, we decided to extend our stay to 7 nights (was suppose to move on after 5 nights but decided this was too good to beat and didn't want to take the chance) We also booked for next year before we left. La Mansion is for a people who likes the "real experience" - authentic costa rican and relaxing atmosphere. It is very natural atmosphere. It is higher-end, but not a flashy, fancy-scmancy and cookie-cutter hotel, so, if that is what you like, go to Tabacon. It is casual, comfortable, tranquil, quiet -but high-end in the same breath. Also make sure you hit the Eco Thermales hot springs - its so unassuming, perfect with natural hotsprings. Much quieter than Tabacon (which resembles a water park to me) at six flags. People crawling over you!

God, I can't wait to return next year.

2 Thank angelaoneBoston

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Hua Hin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2009

The hotel is cool and charming, very easy-going atmosphere, staff is extremely helpful and friendly. The design- layout of the room was superb, perfect combination of form and function.
Great food; rich breakfast and delightful gourmet dinner. The best I ate in Costa Rica.
Very comfy bed. Bathroom was lovely. Spectacular view on the lake, magnificent garden, with lots of hummingbirds.
It was truly a relaxing and enjoyable experience. I will be back.

Smyrna, Georgia, USA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2009

I give La Mansion 3 stars as a compromise- my wife would give it one star, I give it four. I thought that the hotel was a great value- it was $195 for a deluxe room, and when we stayed they had a promotion that if you stayed 3 nights the fourth night is free AND breakfast and dinner are included! The hotel has cooked to order breakfasts and dinner which tends to focus on locally available ingredients such as jumbo shrimp and beef. There is free wireless internet available in the lobby (at dial up speed, however), and there is a computer terminal that guests can use for free as well.

The views from the room over the lake were amazing, and the cleaning staff added quirky touches such as making the towels into animal shapes. There is satellite TV with the usual CNN, BBC and Fox News Channels in English as well as quite a few Latin American and European channels. The rooms were very large and ours even included a separate second bedroom. There is a small refrigerator in the room and a hotpot for making coffee or tea.

But perhaps the best asset was Christopher, one of the managers of the hotel. He spoke flawless English and was very helpful in booking excursions (such as the one to Cano Negro, which I highly recommend) and he was very pleasant to talk to.

So what was wrong? As the person wrote in the "A major disappointment" review, the hotel badly needs to be renovated. The decor was probably in fashion in the 1980's but it hasn't been updated since. The rooms did smell musty, but that it probably due to the high humidity in the area. And the sheets were rather thin and not of the best quality.

So if you can overlook these minor defects, as I did, then I recommend La Mansion- the views were amazing, the price was right, and the staff were helpful. If it is really important to you that a hotel be recently renovated and have 200 thread count sheets, you should probably look elsewhere.

• 2 of 5 stars
Walla Walla, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2009

My wife and I stayed at La Mansion Inn in mid-February 2009. From the time of our arrival to departure the owner Leo and his daughter Peggy and their staff all provided us with excellent friendly and kind service. At one point when my camera battery went missing Leo loaned me his camera. That is genuine service. The room was very large, clean, with a cozy feeling. All the rooms face the beautiful Lake Arenal and have a private outdoor sitting area for watching birds, nature, and the beautiful sun sets. The location, about 30 minutes from La Fortuna, has a rural, relaxing feeling. This is a plus in that it is far away from the noise and crowds in LaFortuna. There is a small pool with an smaller adjoining "hot tub" area with a gorgeous view of the lake. A full service complementary formal breakfast made to order from a menu was served each morning in the open air dining area. We had dinner at La Mansion two night. The food was excellent. Complimentary internet is available. There is a pool table in the back room, reading room, and full service bar. If you plan on taking tours the operators will pick you up at La Mansion or you can easily drive to La Fortuna and go from there. We did both. We enjoyed La Mansion very much. From what we saw in La Fortuna it is a great respite from the crowds of tourist who are all staying at mediocre hotels and eating mass produced meals. This is a gem in the LaFortuna/Arenal area.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank zantern
UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2009

I found the rooms generally clean, beautiful views of the lake, fine dining menu and helpful information about local activities. Service generally good, although the TV in my room and jacuzzi/hot tub was not working on my visit.

The draw back is the location, it maybe take 40mins to drive to La fortuna, howvever with a car it is not so much an issue as you tend to be out most the day on excursion/sites. The drive itself is scenic with good road.

Really enjoyed the Selva Leona tour.

• Stayed December 2008, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 stars
Rye Brook, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2009

We stayed at La Mansion Arenal for 3 nights in cottage 11, which was amply spacious for our family of 5. The cottage had a queen bed in 1 room, and 2 doubles plus a daybed in the other. The view towards Lake Arenal and the volcano from the patio was spectacular. We really enjoyed the pool and hot bath, the very comfortable bar/ restaurant/ game area, and were so relaxed there that we ended up eating all 3 dinners right at the restaurant-- this is very unlike us, so you know it was good!

Only real negative is the distance from La Fortuna (main town) and the volcano-- this property is about a 45 minute drive, compared to many of the other hotel/ resorts which were half the distance or less.

Overall, just what we were looking for... be sure not to miss trying one of the zipline tours- we did Adventure Mundo Canopy Tour and it was the highlight of our trip.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank bradfordRyeBrook_NY
Miami
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2009

I stayed at the La Mansion Inn with my family, grandparents, Aunts, Uncles, and Cousins (14 of us in all). We stayed for five days and were really taken by the beauty of the Arenal area. We booked four double rooms. The rooms were huge and it was almost like staying at a museum with beautiful murals painted all over the walls. The view out of our room was incredible- overlooking the mountains and the lake. There was wildlife all around the hotel. We saw coatis, hummingbirds, horses, monkeys, and many other wild animals. The restaurant at the Inn was incredible with a made to order dinner menu and an amazing spread of food at breakfast time. I definitely would love to stay there again. I know that everyone in my family enjoyed their stay as much as I did.

Stayed December 2008
The Springs Resort and Spa
The Springs Resort and Spa
#7 of 67 in Arenal Volcano National Park
5.0 of 5 stars 2,109 reviews

Been to La Mansion Inn Arenal Hotel? Share your experiences!