Golden Thistle Hotel
$273
  • Breakfast included
$99
Good 3.5/5
Magdalena Grand Beach & Golf Resort(Lowlands)(Great Value!)
$257
Average 3/5
$188
$154
  • Pool
Blue Haven Hotel(Bacolet Bay)
$125
  • Pool
Mt Plaisir Estate Hotel(Grande Riviere)
$170
  • Beachfront
See what travelers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed April 23, 2011

Upon checking in Service was pleasant from (owner) michael & (csr) jamie, but as the days passed it became evident that this place is in need of a serious upgrade & repairs.
1. The entrance to the compound does have a smell of goats & dogs. I know this because i decided to take a walk & on my way back the little wooden structue of a house on the right hand side just before the compound had 2 little scruffy dogs that rushed out at me & wouldn't let me pass until i picked up 1or 2 pebbles for them. (beware of this if you have kids or toddlers.)
2.The A/C units in the rooms did not work properly, had to keep adjusting & it was noisy. Which on our 2nd to last day it started to drip water & we had to wait for the repair man (who only arrived the following morning)
3.The water pressure in the shower was very low. Granted! there was a water supply issue but this should have been told to us upon booking & before arrival.
4.We had a major issue with RED ANTS and bugs, even though all our groceries were properly put away in the cupboards provided. We ended up having to put everything & i mean everything in the little miniature fridge that really couldn't hold anything.
5.I was told by michael that the pool is Never...Ever drained, it's only treated. And it was only after we had this conversation that the next day for our entire stay (5days) that i saw this being done.Which by the way, didn't make it look any cleaner than it was before.
6.Parking was limited.
What i did like-
!. Room service did their job well.
2. Place was nice & quiet
3. Staff especially michael was friendly.
4. Rooms were cozy.
5. Location is close to 2 major beaches.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed April 19, 2011

Customer Service with patience, sincerity and a smile is what to expect at Golden Thistle. Mr. Micheal sold the hotel's charm very well, his staff was equally friendly and gave good service which made you feel comfortable allowing you to enjoy your stay.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed March 7, 2011

The management and staff were hery helpful. Whatever I needed, they were willing to help me at all times. The kitchen prepared my various request for me and had it waiting for me at lunch time or early dinner time. The room was quite sufficent, it had a bath, kitchen and sleeping area. Included were pots, pans, and utencils. Microwave was available upon request. If anything else was need, you could always ask the management. The location of the hotel were only minutes walk to the beach.
I would recommend this hotel to anyone. I have stayed there the last eight time.
It's like being home among friends.
Dr. L. Rosales

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed March 3, 2011

This was our 4th stay at Golden Thistle. (The first one was in 1998).
First of all: if you're looking for five-star luxury or nice seaview, this is not the hotel for you.
But if you like it more simple and quiet (and cheap) you should consider Golden Thistle.
The rooms are old, but well maintained and CLEAN. You get clean towels etc every day, the AC, TV etc is functioning well, and not at least, the hot water is HOT. To us, one good thing with the rooms, is that they have a small kitchen (with frig, oven etc) so you don't have to go to a restaurant or bar every time your hungry (or thirsty!). The hotel is located at Crown Point, with all facilities close by. The closest beach is 10 min walk away. But you also have a small pool at the hotel (the rooms are gathered around the pool).
The best thing about Golden Thistle, however, is the staff. They are great people, polite, serviceminded, honest etc. We always feel relaxed and safe when we stay there (security is importent to me as i always bring a lot of expencive photoequipment when i travel. I've never had any problems with that at Golden Thistle).

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank myskreen
Reviewed March 2, 2011

My husband and I visited this hotel for Christmas 2010. We read all the previous reviews and were unsure of what to expect. Well, here goes:

1. Pool - despite the fact that this is never mentioned, anyone who is visiting you must pay $50 a head to use the pool. Keep this in mind because the csr doesn't seem to know anything about this.

2. The food was very very poor and expensive. Thank God it's located near restaurants..

3. The pool closes at 6pm, so for you late bathers, Store Bay it is.

4. The trek to the hotel smells like latrine. Maybe it's all the goats and dogs that live on that street.

5. Management fell a little below my expectation. I didn't realistically expect 5 star hotel due to the fact that we paid $390 a night, I however didnt expect an attitude when simple requests were made.

6. At night, all sorts of weird noises were heard, which caused me to sleep restlessly.

7. The chairs that were poolside could've used a facelift.

8. Be advised that upon arrival, you may feel for three quarter of your stay that you are the only person on the compound besides the csr and the manager.

9. The a/c was not working properly, and the "cable" only had a few channels.

However,

10. The sheets were made daily and the towels were exchanged upon request on time.

I doubt that we will stay at this hotel again, considering that other hotels around the airport weren't much more expensive and the quality of service is much better.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank DissatisfiedTrinidad
Goldenthistle, Manager at Golden Thistle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 4, 2011

We are always thankful for reviews as they usually help to improve us. This review may highlight a weak communication system with our customers which we will work hard to improve.

There is no charge for guest at Golden Thistle Hotel for the use of the pool, however there is a charge of TT$50 per day for visitors.

Pool hours are prominently displayed. Requests for late closing are entertained up to an agreed closing time.

Pool chairs.- We note that our reviewing guest stayed at Christmas time 2010 and reviewed their stay in March 2011. Our pool chairs were already refurbished in early February 2011.

Cable TV channels - Our Cable company provides 60 channels and we make all available to guests at no additional charge.

We hope to see you back at Golden Thistle Hotel to review your review.