“THE WORST HOTEL IN TOBAGO”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Crown Point
Surf Side Hotel Tobago
Ranked #17 of 20 Crown Point B&B and Inns
Trinidad
“THE WORST HOTEL IN TOBAGO”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2013

I Stayed in this hotel recently ( june 2013) and i must say i was very displease with everything . The receptionist was very impolite. Six people had to share 1 bathroom and toilet .The a/c unit was very noisy and old! The cable was very poor,they beds ws very uncomfortable! The people there are very misleading , they say one thing and is totally the opposite. I would never recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
8 Thank denr726

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Port of Spain, Trinidad
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 26, 2012

I stayed to this hotel September this year and the service was reall poor. When I got there the receptionist was really impolite, rough tone of voice and not helpful at all. not to mention the room which we stayed in. It had no ventelation, no windows. The a/c was not cooling the room properly and it was noisy, which had us up for most of the night.

The linens were green and old looking and smelled dusty. The curtins wrer also the same.

We were supposed to check out at 12.00pm, but my partner was in the washroom amd the receptionist came into the room at 12.05pm and said to get out of the room NOW.

The picture which is online is misleading. It does not reflect what the place actually look like.

I will never stay in this place and never recommend it for anyone to stay there.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
7 Thank kyle_kareem

Travelers are raving about these Crown Point hotels

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2012

i visited surf side hotel in may 2012,it was the best for my husband and i.great accomodation and privacy.the ppl were great and i plan to visit there for my anniversary.excellent service and amenities are in walking distance.the beach is clean and serene.any one goes there would enjoy themselves.i did.adilah jawara

Room Tip: rooms on the south side are quieter
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank adilah j
Princes Town
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2012

I had stayed at Surf Side two years ago and to be honest for the price we paid the place was not that bad. It located right on pigeon point junction near Cheff BBQ, near supermarket everything. So it was ok. Transport easily obtainable and you can walk from the airport to Surf Side or take a 3 minutes drive with a taxi(not airport taxi too expensive).
My problem with Surfside is their attitude. Firstly we were greeted by an elderly gentleman whom we thought to be pleasant however that faded as the days go by. The girl in the office was not to pleasant to see us apparently as she clearly showed us that we were disturbing her. We requested putting valuables in the safety deposit box and this was not a problem for the at the moment pleasant gentleman. We were showed to our room (quite equipped) and then enjoyed Tobago.
When was time to depart we requested a late check out to which she replied ( yes I remembered it clearly) "well yuh know it have a fee for that, you could pay". With that we requested our valuable in the safety deposit box and the gentleman acted as though he did not know what we were talking about. Offcourse when he looked twice at my facial expression then he automatically remembered.
Now after two years I decided to give them another chance and the attitude still has not changed. This time I got it earlier. I got it while i was making reservation. So luckily I did not go to Surf Side.
If you don't care about attitude you can visit Surf Side however if you can do without the attitude of the workers in the office stay away.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
5 Thank CaribbeanQueenA
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2012

My girlfriend and I stayed here in 2009 and had a fantastic stay. Saw the negative reviews and feel compelled to give a time-neutral review (though obviously things may have changed since 2009). The a/c and tv worked fine, as did the full kitchen which allowed us to make many meals. The location doesn't get any better and the pool, though tiny, was clean and refreshing. The walls were a bit thin, we could hear our neighbors, but we're heavy sleepers. For the price, we wouldn't really expect more but have definitely had worse. We would stay here again and continue to recommend the Surf Side to friends.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank hooliganpete
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2012

Stayed here last weekend but was totally disappointed. The location was great but the rooms needed a facelift and new beds, as well as sheets and pillow cases. I could not sleep...it was that bad. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
9 Thank s-ranj20
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2012

I have stayed at Surfside several times since 2010, mostly with a boyfriend and a few times with my family, and it has become my go-to place of accommodation when I visit Tobago. The place is by no means perfect, but I think for the rate per night that I pay, the value for me is great. I don't expect to pay a pauper's price for a Prince's palace.

- Pool: this is THE MAIN reason I love staying here. There are few places to stay in Tobago that are this cheap and offer two pools. Seriously, if they didn't have their pools, or if they were to raise their prices, I would be finding other places to stay. The pools are big enough but if you are staying at a time with lots of other visitors, clearly you'll have to share or wait.
- Location: like most mentioned, the location is great! It is right along the main road and transport is easy to get from here. Plus it's walking distance from Store Bay and Pigeon Point. It's right opposite a pizza place and a grill place, also the last time I went there was an ice-cream parlour too. The grocery is also just a taxi away. Perfect!
- Cleanliness: yes, do not be fooled, this establishment is OLD! That being said, of all the rooms I've stayed in, they have all been clean and tidy and the maid service tidies up the room daily, which is nice.
- Cable TV, A/C: both work, although the last time I stayed, only a few channels were accessible in my room. Also had trouble with the A/C some time but we told the manager who promptly sent someone up to fix it so all was well.
- Kitchenette: we have always found all we need viz kitchenwares. There are some rooms with old stuff that should be replaced though e.g. rusty graters and broken mugs. These we just don't use. The fridge and stove work fine as we always make a cook when we're there.
- Appliances: Not everything works in the rooms. In some rooms, the oven works fine for baking, in others, the oven is rusty looking so I don't bother risk my health.
- The hot and cold doesn't work in every room. Some of them have to be tampered with quite a bit to get it to work properly and yes, bathing in cold water can be quite a bother. The toilets have always been clean and functioning.
- Service: the manager seems quite bipolar to me. At times he is pleasant and welcoming, at other times, indifferent and grave. But that's by the by. Whenever we had an issue it was solved. One time my sister arrived early (around 11am) and they let her check in and enter her apartment even though it was long before official check in time (2pm). The receptionist and cleaners are pleasant enough and know us as somewhat regular costumers by now and so we have a sense of familiarity with them, which is nice and welcoming.

All in all, I work with what I get with Surfside. I have never had a horrible experience yet and it's mainly because I know what to expect with them, a clean comfortable room with the basic necessities, but I always have a plan B in terms of meals etc. So I will recommend it to others but with a warning that it is old, everything may not be functioning, and it is only equipped with the basics, but if you're looking for a cheap, ideally located, clean humble room (with pools) then this is the place to be.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
#1 of 1 in Mount Irvine
Bananaquit Apartments
Bananaquit Apartments
#3 of 13 in Crown Point

Been to Surf Side Hotel Tobago? Share your experiences!