“Unfriendly Reception, too far from the beach and airport”
Review of Hummingbird Hotel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Crown Point
Hummingbird Hotel
Ranked #7 of 20 Crown Point B&B and Inns
New York City, New York
“Unfriendly Reception, too far from the beach and airport”
Reviewed March 17, 2012

Though the hotel is clean and reasonably priced, I would NEVER stay here again. We were treated very poorly from the start, there is poor circulation in the rooms--our swimsuits were still wet after 2 days, we were charged for items in the minibar that we had not consumed, and the hotel is about a 20 minute walk from the beach and the airport while there are other, comparably priced guesthouses situated only 5 minutes from the beach and the airport. When my friends and I decided to stay an extra night in Tobago we packed our things and lugged them 15 minutes down the road to Banaquit, which was better in EVERY way!

The lack of kindness and accommodation we received at the Hummingbird Hotel was actually startling---and the antithesis of the warmth and kindness that characterizes Tobago. I checked in with two friends with Linda at the reception desk and she was very rude and unwelcoming. We had just come in on the 6:30 am ferry from Port of Spain and as we were talking amongst ourselves to see if it made sense to check in early (which has an additional charge) Linda interrupted and asked in a harsh tone "What, do you think you are just going to hang out here all day?" We decided to check in because one of our friends had become ill on the ferry ride from Trinidad. We were told we had to wait a bit while our room was prepared and had a seat in the eating area and attempted to order breakfast. A few minutes later Linda came and told us that breakfast stopped being served at 10 am. It was 10:05 am at this point and there was literally no other guests in the restaurant at the time, such that serving us a muffin would set a bad precedent or cause a stir or major inconvenience. A moment later we saw a relative of hers walk out of the kitchen area with a huge plate of croissants and fruit. When one of my companions asked Linda if there is somewhere close where she could grab some food and tea for our sick friend--despite that fact that the kitchen was 20 feet away--she instructed us to walk the 20 minutes (each way) to get food for her. It was very mean-spirited. I wouldn't advise any one that expects to be treated kindly and respectfully to pay money to stay here.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank PatCW_12
lindam011, Owner at Hummingbird Hotel, responded to this review, March 20, 2012
It is difficult when you are expecting guests (3 single young women on a budget) to arrive at 10a.m. to drop off their luggage, go to the beach and then return to check in the afternoon. Then when they arrive they have had an unpleasant ferry crossing and want to check in but do not want to pay any extra and very often the room would not be ready or it may still be occupied as check out is 12 midday.
Then as in this case you have to get the room ready yourselves, the guests ask for breakfast when they see your breakfast , it is 10:20 breakfast finished at 10:00 the kitchen has already been tidied and tables cleared. Then another guest arrives from the same boat and also wants to check in early, so that room has to be got ready, luckily they did not see my breakfast, which I eventually ate at 11:30.
Hoteliers are only Human, as are our guests, but sometimes not everything goes to plan and when people are not feeling well and unhappy there are misunderstandings on both sides.
Due to unexpected early check in, routine things like replenishing the minibar was forgotten. Hence the mistake of putting the waters on their bill. Once the mistake was bought to my attention, the money was deducted from their bill, with apologies. Their accommodation was (85X2)X6.4 +120=1108TTS plus 25TTS for the waters=1138TT$. The 25TT$ was taken out and they only paid 1108TT$
Most of our guests find our location ideal, as they say it is near enough to get to restaurants and the beaches and far enough from the hustle and noise of Crown Point. We are a 15 minute walk to the airport; we will drop people off at the airport on departure and take them to the nearest 2 beaches on a daily basis after breakfast approximately between 10 and 10:30am
Rooms are serviced on a daily basis up to 12noon. Their room was still serviced even though it was not vacated until the afternoon. Towels are changed every day, you are asked to put the used/dirty towels in the shower tray if you want them changed. The above guests only stayed 2 nights which would mean only one towel change so how is it possible to not change the towels and the changed towels to be dirtier, as implied.
Ask yourselves would a guest who are having such an unpleasant experience ask to stay an extra night in the same room, but not stay as only more expensive rooms were available. Would there have been any problem if the guests ferry journey had been a pleasant one and it was a warm sunny tropical day.
As can be seen, we have many good reviews and we try to accommodate every ones needs but there will be times due to extenuating circumstances when this is not 100% possible after all we are human.
I would also like to state that I disagreed in trip advisors policy of allowing 2 reviews for the same one room two night stay especially when all our good reviews are not doubled as well.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 1, 2012

If there had been a 'Good' rather than a 'Very Good' option I would have selected that. It is a good location, very clean, nice rooms and pool. The Rough Guide directions are wrong - carry on down Store Bay Local road past Sunspree Hotel and you'll come to it. The owners seemed nice and I think they were a little tired after the Christmas rush. A good mid-price option for Crown Point.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank LK490
Key West, FL
Reviewed November 19, 2011

The hotel is close to the airport and everything in town. It can be reached easily by taxi or a walk if you are so inclined. We visited in November 2011 which is slow season so the occupancy was relatively quiet. The rooms are clean and well worth the $75US we paid. My husband spent about every day in the refreshing pool just floating around. Paul (owner) is available when needed and is happy to drive you down to the beaches. I must say, he is a fine cook and gathers the groceries the day he cooks for you so everything is fresh. Needless to say, we enjoyed the quiet dinners. Paul and Linda have a sweet pooch named Sparkle, JoJo (Joey) the kitty is friendly and was often waiting to say good morning. They also gave Rainbow the Parott who mimics electronics (too cute). Oh, and let me not forget all of the hummingbirds, there are always hummingbirds fluttering around.

• Stayed November 2011
3 Thank T2Socks
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed September 1, 2011

The room was big and very clean! We booked the suite. Owners are wonderful and try to fulfill your every need. Easy access to everything! If you're looking for ammenities, there are none...just a clean room to sleep, shower and change clothes!!! Swimming pool was kept very clean as are the grounds surrounding. Very quiet and relaxing. Perfect for the low maintenance traveler! Only complaint, pillows were flat flat flat!!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
6 Thank gjohn510
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed August 21, 2011

I grew up in Trinidad and now live abroad. I brought my family to Tobago for a quick 2-night stay and was very happy with my choice. I like the fact that the hotel is family owned. Paul was especially helpful and accommodating. The room was comfortable and clean. It was really nice to have the availability of a restaurant on site (especially for breakfast or dinner), should you need it. A car is advisable, even though the beaches are within walking distance.....but in the heat, I think I would have preferred to drive. After a long day of sightseeing, it was really great to come back and relax in the pool. We had a great stay and would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank Jacqui D
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 18, 2011

Conveniently close to airport for overnight stay. Evening meal offered at time to suit. Beware if using The Rough Guide as is listed in wrong location, which could result in a long walk in the opposite direction.

Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Lucylocket24
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed August 15, 2011

I visited Tobago and stayed at the Hummingbird in July 2011 for two nights. To me the most important qualities when looking for a place were: cleanliness, safety, good customer service (polite and friendly staff), and proximity to the beach. The Hummingbird ranked high for me in all of these areas. The room I stayed in with my friend and her child was clean and comfortable. It had air conditioning (which was needed), a queen size bed, a twin bed, a television, a bathroom with a shower, a small sitting area, and a stocked refrigerator (with water, beer, etc. available at an additional charge). The facility is family owned and operated, which gave the facility a nice, homey feeling. The hosts, Paul and Linda, were very polite, friendly, and accomodating. The facility was small, but lovely and well maintained. The facility had a small number of rooms (12- I think- with each room named after a type of bird), but this made it nice and quiet. The facility also had a pool, which you could see from any of the rooms, and a lovely, small, outdoor dining area (with tropical plants and even a hummingbird or two flying past occasionally) with food made to order by the host Paul (who happened to be a great cook). I also felt safe at this facility. The only minor downside, was that the Hummingbird is not walking distance to the beach or airport. However, it's a short drive (maybe 5 minutes to the beach) and the facility offers rides to the beach and airport daily.
I've stayed at other places in Tobago (which I will not name) and the hosts were rude and had bad attitudes and made me think twice about visiting again. However, the hosts at the Hummingbird were absolutely FABULOUS! They were pleasant, polite, and accomodating. I will definitely go back to the Hummingbird and would highly reccommend this facility! The other nice thing about this place is that the hosts respond to email in a timely manner regarding reservations or questions about their facility (which is nice because other places in Tobago either did not have email or did not respond, and when you're attempting to make travel arrangements from overseas, it's nice and musch less expensive to be able to make arrangements and communicate online without having to make phone calls).

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
#2 of 20 in Crown Point
Mount Irvine Bay Resort
Mount Irvine Bay Resort
#1 of 1 in Mount Irvine

Been to Hummingbird Hotel? Share your experiences!