“great honeymoon.....”

Coco Reef Resort & Spa Tobago
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Crown Point
Reviewed May 16, 2010

My husband and I went to the Coco Reef for our honeymoon trip. It was really nice and enjoyable. As we arrived they greeted us at the front desk with smiles and complimentary drinks. Checking in was simple and done quickly. We came in late after nine in the night was escorted to our room and changed quickly to head to dinner (certain nights dress code is in effect). Nice dinner wine dessert etc! Our room was really nice and the bed was king size and most comfortable. The even wrote with flowers and leaves on the bed ‘a special welcome congratulations’. It was lovely. We had a bottle of wine with glasses waiting for us and a fruit plate. The view is incredible and they even had night performances also which was entertaining. Plenty towels, cream, shampoo in the bathroom which was also well decorated with flowers. Everything in the room worked properly. Plenty space for us. The highlight of the trip and stay was the breakfast and the lunch....lots of things to choose from to eat...buffet style. Different lunch menus every day we stayed. The private beach is really nice and safe and calm not to mention relaxing to just sit and enjoy the view at. They have waiters coming and asking if you need to get drinks when relaxing on the beach. Maid service was around throughout and whenever we came back to our room after the beach it was cleaned and smells great. Drinks were great also especially the coco reef mix cocktail. We had the all-inclusive package and didn’t regret it. Check out time was at 12pm but we needed to be at the airport for 3pm we phoned the front desk and told them this and didn’t even have to pay for the extra time. They were really kind and caring for us. Friendly staff and not once did we hear the staff complaining about anything. I LOVE THE PLACE!!!

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,555)

Reviewed May 10, 2010

I apologise fort his late review as we experienced this beautiful hotel back in November 2009. Anyway, better late than never. Four of us went to Coco Reef hotel from 12/11/09 to 27/11/09. In the brochure this place certainly caught our interest and I had heard that Tobago was a beautiful place with very friendly people. We were not disapointed.The hotel was a brilliant choice. The manager, Eric Ferniet was always about to make sure that everything was going well. Eric, do you not have a home to go to? Have you eaten all your maltesers?
We enjoyed our stay at Coco Reef and would certainly recommend it to anyone. The highlights of our stay included:
-lovely rooms on the ground floor overlooking the ocean,
-great food in both restaurants with great choices. One of our friends had a 50th birthday at Coco Reef and the staff pulled out all the stops to decorate the table with flowers, balloons etc to make the birthday dinner very special for him.
-very attentive staff especially Sonia, Naomi(couldn't spell her proper name), Altea from Guyanna, Sharel and loads of others in the restaurant and on the beach.
-location of hotel is amazing and the lagoon is just like a giant swimming pool
-half day out with Peter on his (smashing)boat Zoe.Thoroughly recommend the trip. We all enjoyed the snorkeling and one of us even saw a turtle.
-we were brought canapes and champagne to our rooms as we were getting ready for the managers cocktail party.

All these little things mean so much and really make a good holiday great. The hotel was extremely clean and if there was anything wrong in the room the maintenance man was down to fix it fairly quickly. I liked the colonial style of the hotel but would understand that it may not be to everyone's liking. I liked the trip from the airport - 5 minutes at the outside yet at the hotel there was virtually no airplane noise.
There were however a few points that could improve this hotel. Firstly tea and coffee facilities in each room as standard and secondly, for the all inclusive guests use of the mini bar in the room without further charge.
We enjoyed our time in Coco Reef so much we have just booked to go back with the same friends. Both my wife and I and our friends are all celebrating our 25th wedding anniversaries this year. Thanks for a gerat holiday in 2009, looking forward to visiting again in 2010.
Colwyn & Sharon Griffiths, Donaghadee, Northern Ireland

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled with friends
2  Thank colwyn_griffiths
Reviewed May 9, 2010

Coco Reef is one of our all time favourite hotels, and we've stayed in quite a few! The location, the rooms, the atmosphere, the staff, the management, the beach, the activities, the food, the drinks... all perfect!!

We've stayed at the Coco Reef probably over 20 times in the past 3 years, its been an easy trip for us considering we currently reside in Trinidad, but even if we were back home in Scotland we would still travel to Coco Reef as often as we could...

We've stayed in just about every room type at coco reef 1) Superior Garden view, 2) Luxury Ocean view, 3) Garden view suite, 4) Royal suite, 5) Sunset Villa - All are excellent and met every expectation, all come with welcoming floral messages on the bed, baskets of fruit and on some occasions a bottle of champagne! They all come with AC, very comfortable beds, cable TV and are all very clean...

The white sandy beach is great for relaxing and the sea is nice and refreshing - The beach waiting staff are excellent, always walking along looking to serve drinks to the hot sun worshipping guests...

The lunches at coco reef are usually down by the beach restaurant "BACCHANALS", and as long as its not raining the BBQ grill with a great selection of foods are available - Lunches are always lovely and always have something for everyone...

In the evening there is a choice of two restaurants, 1) Bacchanals and 2) Tamaras - The Tamaras is the more formal of the two and always has a really nice menu and it changes day to day to provide a variety to us guests which is good...

Bobsters bar is a great place to cool down when you’re getting hot in the evening; again the staff in the bar are very friendly and always very accommodating. There is also an outdoor seating in the gallery and down through past the reception area whereby the waiting staff are serving drinks, whilst you can relax and enjoy the nightly entertainment...

To conclude, i would defiantly recommend this hotel to anyone - Many of my friends and family from the UK and Trinidad have taken me up on the recommendation, and all have said they would go back in a second... Coco Reef is perfect for all types of vacations from weddings, honeymoons, families, etc - The rooms are comfortable, the atmosphere is perfect and the staff are brilliant.

You can check out my photo's to see for yourself... Feel free to contact me with any questions about this hotel, i'd be happy to help...

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
7  Thank swmasson
Reviewed May 5, 2010

We had a wonderful holiday at the Coco Reef. The manager , Eric, and all the staff looked after us so well. We were thoroughly spoilt. We are already looking into booking another holiday at this hotel. All the staff were brilliant and we look forward to seeing Gary, Chris, Joel, Melissa and Rachel , amonst others,again. It is impossible to name them all. We felt very privileged and grateful to holiday here.

Reviewed May 4, 2010

I recently found the time to report back to the owner of this hotel after a less than pleasing stay at this 4.5 star hotel. I do still love the place but unfortunately this is now more of a 2-3 star and should be regraded. They did response well to my notes but reading on here a lot of good stuff and only some constructive comments I thought I'd post my letter.

In general my experience was that it is WAY WAY over priced for what you get. It is Tobago after all and it is very inexpensive to live on this island. Maybe they will slash prices to make a nice fit and we will all be happy again.

Dear John,

Perhaps 7 years or so ago now my now wife & I came on our first holiday together to your lovely hotel, the Coco Reef in Tobago. For memory you were still in residence at that time and we had a most wonderful stay. Cassa had been in Tobago several times in the past and I was keen to visit and see why she liked it so much. I was I have to say impressed.

Now seven years later we were married and we though why not go back to the place we loved so much, the location of our first foreign holiday together. Although we are not wealthy and we were paying for all of our wedding we still managed to save and book a full three weeks with you in August of 2009.

This rather belated letter is to unfortunately tell you of our total disappointment in comparison to the 4+ start hotel we had stayed at previously. We also meet other couples who were returning quests and they to shared similar concerns. I think perhaps I would like to get some of the frustration out of my mind by writing some of the issues we faced. I think they are important for you to know as you were no longer present in the resort.

Pre-Arrival

I tried many times to email with the front office, manager before my arrival to check all was in order. I did get one, perhaps two responses whoever this took repeated requests and 4-5 days might pass before a response was received. This is in total contact to the email I sent to your newer hotel in Bermuda. They responded in a friendly way and within about 30mins. I was extremely impressed with that front of house support.

I also tried 4-5 times emailing the dive shop before my arrival to book packages and see what gear I should bring to save me some $$. I never received a single response to those emails.

Arrival:

This I am pleased to say was fine and we were provided a nice room (upgrade) despite a roof leak (just an overdue maintenance issue). No nice pickup from airport though as we were squashed into a wreck of a car with bungy cords to keep the bags in the trunk. Not quite what one expects for a 4star and a honeymoon arrival. Guy was nice though and this was probably organised externally so not your fault.

The first issue was that we had no remote control to work our air conditioner. I did let the front desk know and left it for them to send on to us which they said they would do. This went on for a few days and despite several repeated requests nothing ever materialised. Eventually when the manager called me to see if all was OK with my stay (I think prompted by another issue) I had to say well no. This was then remedied the following morning.

The Breakfast:

I have to say that while the food was fine, and the days the Owl and Falcon were present so was the setting. The blackbirds had become totally crazy since our past visit so I am not sure what you can do about that. The staff in general though shared a tunnel vision when you tried to get coffee, toast etc. I often had to go and get the coffee pots for myself. None of this matters but when you are paying the rates you do for your hotel this DOES matter. We were basically getting 2 start service and paying for 5 and that was the annoyance.

Bacchanals:

On our first trip we ate most meals in this area as we liked the informal nature and the varied menu, especially the flying fish Caesar salad (no longer on the menu). We were disappointed that this time the Bacchanals was not open every night and when we did go there the menu was the same as upstairs. It seemed to have lost it's identity as a different place to eat. Instead we took to going out more for dinner, even several times to the pizza restaurant next door (which is worrying when you kitchen was putting out quality food). The combination of service and the waitress attitude did even result in us also taking several meals in our room. This was the food was hot and the staff who brought it nice when they did so. Maybe this was as we tipped for that type of service.

Bobsters:

We never went in once in our entire 3 weeks. There was not atmosphere of incentive to enjoy a nice relaxed ink in there. In 2002 we were in there often.

The Beach:

Firstly almost all of the water equipment, sail boats, windsurfers etc were broken. I am quite keen to use this type of equipment and none was fixed in the entire 3 weeks we were there. In fact they looked like a hurricane had hit the area and nothing had been done since. All full of water and ants.

On our prior journey we had enjoyed paying the local guy who came in a small boat with water skis, wake boards etc and would take you to the lagoon beyond pigeon point to have a go. We were disappointed that although this was still listed as an activity he was no longer there. Instead no less that 5 jet skis with 7-8 locals running them hogged the private beach making swimming a hazard.

Add to that there seemed to be about 100 sun lounges on the beech for 50 quests. In fact the guests used to joke about it each morning as we were sure they multiplied each evening and slowly invaded the shoreline to the back wall like soldier crabs each morning. This of course is just a management issue.

On other days 10-15 children from the neighboring beach would climb onto the wall and the dive and swim into the hotel area. They steadily got more courageous and at times took over the entire swimming and beech area. Eventually security would escort them away but only after considerable time and annoyance to the guests. We and other guests reported this constant annoyance to your general manager whose only comment was 'oh they are only kids'.

In general the guys in the diving shop are friendly and are good guys. I dive most days but I did feel it was me drumming up the business with the other guests (internal and external) to convince them to all come with me to make some nice groups. Generally the atmosphere for any beech activity was at best flat.

The pool

The pool although small is nice as it is deep and provides a refreshing change to a day on the beach. Unfortunately the level of water in the pool was low and the cleaning was very irregular. My wife stopped going in as she could not bear the children's bandaids/plasters etc that would be floating either on the surface or suspended just off the bottom

The room cleaning.

As the days went bye the cleaning of our room got later and later. Despite the hotel being at most at 50% capacity our room was getting cleaned about 5pm. I went to the front desk to ask nicely at what time should we consider that the room should be done. Generally if it was before 4 that's fine as we're on the beach. I think they said 2pm so I then did not consider to let anyone know unless it was after about 4pm and still no one had been. On one day (the day I swore to find your mobile and call you directly) our room was not done at 5pm. I rang the desk and asked for someone to come and do it. They said they were on their way. At 6pm no one had come so I rang again. At 6:30 still no one so I went to the front desk and told them face to face this was not good enough (I was on my honeymoon for gods sake and I am a reasonable person who never complains). I said I would go to the gym for an hour and so they could sort it now. Of course on my return at 7:30 to the room still no one had appeared. I just couldn't believe it. Eventually as we returned from the evening dinner we meet with the cleaners leaving.

I think this is not the cleaners fault but the managements failure to run a tight ship. The general manager kept complaining that he couldn't hang onto staff, that they all leave when there's a party weekend and never return. That he just can't get the right people. This is not something to discuss with us as an excuse. His job is to fix it and I can only say that he is not doing his job.

There had been some reported issues with burglary so we were rather annoyed one evening to return to the room after cleaning only to find the door open and not pulled to. As our room was on the store bay side of the hotel we did not know if this was an innocent error of if in fact it had been done to permit someone a quick entry over the fence. Nothing was taken and the head of security did follow this up immediately once we notified them. In general though we felt like the hotel management did not have a grip on the running of the hotel and that anything could happen at anytime.

The upstairs bar area:

This was almost deserted although the occasional pianist was nice for the 5 of us sitting there. Their was one great, young ?Indian looking boy who was an asset to the hotel and so that should be mentioned.

Gym

Only once did I see anyone attending the gym. Often towels we not available and guests had to take them from the beauty trolley. On our first trip I did enjoy some facial treatments and a massage. This time nothing was actively promoted to us and therefore there was no sense of wanting to use this service. Perhaps it wasn't really running anymore.

General Maintenance

In 2002 the hotel looked fresh and new. It seems nothing has been painted since. The beach umbrellas we falling apart and struggled to keep out the rain, the woodwork was fading under the sun and the place just looked tired. In fact it looked like no one was investing any money back into the upkeep of the place. We would love it still as a 2-3 star hotel but it is far from the 4star resort we knew from old. That said the food was generally good. Although on that note sometimes the menu didn't match what came. e.g. a fish on a bed of rice might come as a fish with mash and steamed veges. On one occasion my wife was told that that in fact what was meant by a fish on a bed of rice and this was a language issue.

Overall Comment

In general my wife and I were very disappointed with the hotel on our honeymoon. As a director of several businesses I can only blame the manager for much of what we found to be lacking. If you don't employ the right people you don't get the right results but then if you don't manage people they will slowly reduce their activities to Caribbean pace. We love that pace, but that is not what you expect in a high quality, expensive hotel. It was suggested maybe the hotel needs foreign workers but that would be a shame as the locals were working beautifully when you were around in 2002.

Security is an issue and you need a few good people there with large balls to sort out the local situation which is out of control and will stop people from returning to the hotel.

I could go on, especially if I asked my wife to remind me of some great examples of the poor service but I think you get the idea. We are fans of the hotel. My in-laws are even moving to Tobago for 12 months in July so we will be visiting the island many times again. Unfortunately unless the Coco Reef drops it's rates to that of a 3 star hotel then we won't be staying with you again. What of course we would like is for them to fix the problems, lift the spirits of all the staff and create the atmosphere that we enjoyed in its earlier years.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
4  Thank perfphysio
Reviewed May 3, 2010

Wow we are amazed at the other reviews have these people not been to other Caribbean Islands?
This hotel had it's good points but we have severeal times been to other islands paying far less money and had better facilities, better rooms and better service.
We arrived at the hotel and were ushered to reception whilst the repeat guests were taken to a table marked "repeat guests" how welcome did we feel?
We booked a deluxe ocean view room but beware the room configuration's are different - some are able to accommodate 2 adults and some 3 adults + 2 children. It appears the repeat guests get an upgrade.
The food was good but with only two restaurants (some nights only one) there was not much variety. The entertainment was boring and finished at 22.30 so as not to offend other guests. The staff in Bobsters bar were always too busy & it looked like a store room - this is the "Champagne Bar" with only 18 seats -it also served as the "Gallery Bar".
The staff at the beach bar were always happy & smiling and the drinks service on the beach was good . The beach was adequate and is safe for swimming.
We think this hotel is overgraded due to the fact that "Celibrities" choose to visit - it needs a review.
Having looked at next year's brochure the prices have been increased by another 20% - this is definitely over priced.
It is a relaxing holiday and we did enjoy ourselves but we won't be joining the repeat guest queue!

3  Thank MarilynSouth
Reviewed May 1, 2010

Returned to the Coco Reef again this year to find it as we expected. It was wonderful. The staff are brilliant, the hotel was clean, the rooms very comfortable, all in all the standards set by Eric are high and the staff exceed them.
Tallie, who is he Bar Manager is fantastic as are Chris and Gary, in fact the staff are fantastic!
We would recommend this hotel to everyone. The location is perfect, the bay ideal for bathing. There are plenty of sunchairs, the beach is swept every night and spotlessly clean.
We liked it so much we have booked for next year, can't wait to go back

Also consider these accommodations in or near Crown Point
Le Grand Courlan Spa Resort
Mount Irvine Bay Resort
Mount Irvine Bay Resort
#1 of 1 in Mount Irvine

Been to Coco Reef Resort & Spa Tobago? Share your experiences!