“Great holiday at Coco Reef”
Review of Coco Reef Tobago

Coco Reef Tobago
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Crown Point
Bedfordshire
“Great holiday at Coco Reef”
Reviewed April 20, 2006

Just before we set off many negative reviews were posted and we were REALLY worried……..if you are due to go to Coco Reef, do relax, you will enjoy it. Like many things if you look for faults, you will find them, if you look for a good holiday you will get one at Coco Reef.

On arrival we were allocated a garden view room instead of the 1 bed ocean view suite, so obviously after a long journey with 2 children we were not happy. I have to admit the hotel were BRILLIANT at sorting it out, we were shown the correct room and sent to the beach for a drink while it was cleaned and all our luggage moved across. The staff were really helpful and if anything did go wrong they went out of their way to sort it out and compensate. Due to the mix up of rooms we were allowed to keep our room until 5pm on the day of check out. They also got our anniversary date wrong and on top of the normal things they gave us a bottle of sparkling wine and a really nice flower arrangement with a card.

We have stayed at several 4 star hotels in the Caribbean and Indian Ocean and using them as a benchmark we considered the best bits this hotel has to offer to be:

1. Service – I don’t understand the previous comments about slow service, we did not experience any of that. We found the staff to be very friendly, helpful and quick. The only thing we had to wait any length of time for was the highchair; they must have been stored at the other side of the hotel!!! Plates and glasses are always taken straight away, drinks and wine always filled up and staff who would chat and pass the time of day. I don’t think you will find better service in the Caribbean!!

2. Food in Tamara’s was really good, a little repetitive and the dress code a bit OTT, but good quality and well presented and the dining room in the evening looked nice with a gentle atmosphere.

In terms of what we have experienced better elsewhere:
1. Beach – this is the only private beach in Tobago, as it is man made and classed as a garden! Personally I found it too small and the beds far too close together. I didn’t like being able to hear other peoples conversations, I would prefer more space. The rest of my family didn’t seem to mind too much, but I even felt a little claustrophobic as there are walls at either end and rocks in front so you can’t walk a bit further away to sit to get away from the crowds. Pigeon Point is beautiful and in walking distance…worth a visit.

2.Rooms – I was really disappointed with the room, mainly the size, they are quite small! We had a 1 bed suite, which would be classed as a deluxe room in many hotels. There was no bedroom door just an archway to the sitting area; it was like one large room. The room was in good repair, the décor just not what I would choose; I prefer clean white rooms as they look bigger too!!!

If travelling with a baby it is worth knowing there are many stairs in the hotel, to the beach and both restaurants, which we hadn’t realised before arrival. The staff are really helpful and accommodating with children especially babies and toddlers. Don’t squeeze beach toys into your suitcase as there are plenty on the beach which have been left behind. We were worried about taking the baby in the restaurant in the evening. We always went early if she was awake and she was always very good. Most people staying at the hotel were lovely and always spoke to us, there were a few couples we felt looked disapproving at us.

You have no control over who stays at the hotel at the same time, you might wish you could as it can make such a difference to the atmosphere. Our first week was quiet, mainly couples and some families. There was no need for towels on the beach, getting tables was no problem and the whole resort was quite relaxed. In the second week there were more families with an extra 70 children and the hotel was full to capacity and what a difference it made. People were putting towels on the beach at 6am, waiting for tables at busy times during lunch and beach was very crowded. The level of service remained high, but you could see how busy everyone was and they did run out of certain foods.

The gardens are gorgeous, all grounds are well kept, there is service on the beach which included cold towels, ice lollies, water, drinks and fruit. There will be some little things about every hotel that you don’t like, such as the entertainment, way of doing things or décor. Little frustrations can spoil your holiday, adopt the Tobago approach, chill and enjoy your time at the Coco Reef…we did!!

• Stayed April 2006
13 Thank LuluJai

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (409)
Reviewed April 16, 2006

We went to Coco Reef in Feb 2006, there were 8 of us to attend my daughters wedding.
On arrival my youngest daughter realised she had lost her passport between the airport and hotel,the staff got onto it at once and within 10 mins they had found it on the bus!! Nothing is too much trouble at this hotel,the staff are amazing,always smiling especially Hannah, Breezy,Trev and Steve,they made our stay one to remember.
The wedding co-ordinator Kevah made sure the wedding day was as perfect as can be,even though they have alot of weddings they make each one special. The food is wonderful and service on the beach second to none.
Would we go back??? You bet we would!!!!!!!!
This place is PARADISE!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

• Stayed February 2006
5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 11, 2006

We had seen different reviews so arrived with trepidation I am giving my opinion. The transfer to the resort is swift which is a bonus after a long flight. The approach to the hotel through the beautiful gardens was lovely and the welcome by the hotel staff with a fruit punch reception and a view of the sea immediately on arrival is wonderful. We found the staff friendly and courteous. The beach area is nice with good service for drinks and water. The breakfast buffet was good although the birds are a bit of a pest. The lunch was a bit repetetive especially if you are 14 nights. Dinner at Tamaras was nice but the menu didn`t change too much and was a little bit pretentious, slightly too formal and the option of the beach restaurant slightly too informal. I would say the negative points were the rooms. Ours was poor with no view and very dark, we asked to change (as did quite a few people), we eventually managed this and got a nicer downstairs room but It smelt of damp. The evening entertainment was poor, just some decent piano or background music would have been nice but it was mainly middle of the road reggae style. All in all though not too much to complain about although I wouldn`t go back. The beach at pigeon point is wonderful and just a nice walk away. Scarborough isn`t worth a visit, I can`t say I thought the locals over friendly unfortuantely I felt they had their eye on the dollars. All in all a nice holiday but for the money you could probably do better.

5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Norfolk
Reviewed March 25, 2006

We had a wonderful holiday in this hotel. To fault it would be very picky indeed. We have been to many top class hotels all over the world and feel qualified to say this one is excellent. Staff friendly, food good and pretty location. Best rooms are ocean view rooms. Would be nice to have a safe in the room though you have to leave your valuables with reception. You will not go wrong booking this.

7 Thank sjedwards
Crawley, West Sussex
Reviewed March 13, 2006

I went to Coco Reef with some trepidation having read one or two derogatory remarks on this website.
I was overcome by the welcome shown to us on arrival at the hotel and by the genuine friendliness of all of the staff throughout the 2 weeks we were there. Nothing was too much trouble to the point where they sent for an additional wheelchair for me as the one they had was being used by another guest. This was only to use for a stroll out of the hotel.
My husband & I have been to Barbados and Antigua several times and had really good holidays but this surpassed them all.
We couldn't have asked for a better location, better service and nicer guests.
We'd go back there without hesitation.

• Stayed November 2005
9 Thank Geordiegirl414
Reviewed March 11, 2006

We went to cocoreef for a relaxing time and we certainly got it. The staff were superb. Food especialy in tamaras a la carte was of a very high standard. Entertainment at night was good not the usual tacky variety we ve experienced in other caribean resorts. Rooms were a little tired but we only spent a short time in them. My partner celebrated his 60th while we were there and the staff made it very special for him they couldnt have been more helpful. The beach was so clean and safe with good service drinks cold towels fruit etc. We didnt like having to reserve a sunbed but that was a small inconvience. We would definatly return just for the chill out and the wonderful food !!

7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed March 11, 2006

Oh my godness, I've been to thousands of 4-star hotels but, this one you'd think it was a 5-star. The food was the best alittle pricy but, it was worth it.the room is lovely the beds have flowers on them they made it such a nice presntation. The people are friendly, the only thing I would advise is packing long sleeved and long pants pajamas.Its over all score. 4.99 out of 5.00

• Stayed July 2004
Le Grand Courlan Spa Resort
Grafton Beach Resort
Grafton Beach Resort
#2 of 2 in Black Rock

Been to Coco Reef Tobago? Share your experiences!