Just got back from Coco Reef. This hotel was sold to us as the top hotel in Tobago. 4*+.
Absolute rubbish. We booked a Superior Deluxe Room - Ocean View.
Well the Ocean View part is correct. Absolutely stunning view of the Carribean Sea.
However - the room was a disgrace. The bathroom was very old and tired. On arrival I entered the shower to find the taps came off in my hand. It took two hours for anyone to come to the room to stop the flow of water and repair (and I put the word repair but bodge them together would be more adequate).
The bedding had holes in. The curtains were grubby and very old. The room itself was not particularly clean.
The mini bar (a little fridge) did not even have a bottle of water in it for our arrival. We were told this facility is no longer available!
The food quality was very poor and the menu repetitive. When leaving full plates at dinner only once were we asked why, and would we prefer something else. Most of the time the mantra was "can I clear that now".
A few evenings there were two guys singing with backing tapes. Excrutiatingly bad. Other nights there was not even background music. Most people had to leave the hotel to find entertainment in the evening.
The staff did not interact with guests and made us feel we were being a nuisance.
We reported (along with other unhappy guests) to the management our concerns on the second
day of our holiday. Nothing was done. They showed no interest whatsoever.
Our representative reported to the General Manager that she thought our concerns were justified and still nothing was done.
The hotel was only 40% occupied during our stay. I WONDER WHY!!!!!
Coco Reef states on its website that it has won awards and is the best hotel on the Island. I think they probably won those awards twenty years ago.
The building is in dire need of repair and update. The swimming pool is tired and dirty.
Either side of the private beach at Coco Reef are two public beaches.
BEWARE - Locals start swimming and shouting at 6 a.m. The music starts around 7 a.m. and goes on until 2 a.m. EARPLUGS ARE MANDATORY.
I have travelled extensively in the Carribean and this is the worst place I've ever stayed and not cheap either.
COME ON MANAGEMENT OF COCO REEF - STOP RESTING ON PAST GLORY - YOU NEED TO UP YOUR GAME IF YOU WANT TO SURVIVE.
Tobago is desperate for tourists but if this is the standard you get when expecting 4*+ I do not think the future looks bright.
Another tip. Make sure you have plenty of drink and food when going to the airport. We were stuck in the International Departure Lounge (looked like someone's front room) - no cafe open or anywhere to get a drink.
The duty free shop is tiny and has very limited goods.
Would I return? Not even if they offerred it for free!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Exquisite architecture and well manicured grounds warmly welcome you to the enchanting paradise that is Coco Reef Resort. Tranquil turquoise waters caress the white sands of our private beach with magnificent snorkeling just outside the breakwater. Enjoy kayaking, pedalos, diving, tennis, gym, in-house shopping, massages, manicures, pedicures and much more. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Priceline, Orbitz, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets, Travelocity, Cancelon, Evoline ltd and getaroom.com so you can book your Coco Reef Resort & Spa Tobago reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Coco Reef Tobago Hotel Crown Point
- Coco Reef Tobago Crown Point
- Coco Reef Resort Tobago
- Coco Reef Resort & Spa Tobago Crown Point