“Loved every moment of my stay would go again”
Review of Coco Reef Tobago

Coco Reef Tobago
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Crown Point
Suffolk
“Loved every moment of my stay would go again”
Reviewed January 17, 2008

I have to say that I disagree with all the comments I have read about this hotel
We arrived on the 21 dec 2007 after being in the Grafton Hotel (that one was rubbish) for a few hours in the afternoon and one evening. On arrival at the Coco Reef we were told about the hotel and shown our room this was roomy and clean with a flower message on the two beds. I would agree that the shower was a bit tired but worked it was also a good size.
We were on the ground floor with a small patio overlooking the lagoon, The room was plenty big enough hey you only sleep and get changed it it after all.
The beach was man made but the rest of the islands beaches the sand is quite dark and the water in the lagoon was a perfect place for children to play even with the boats coming and going. It was great to feed the fish, the beach bar service was good and after a few days they you got to know what you drank it was there before asking, The beach was cleaned daily there was loads of water sports to do and the dive centre was also very good my partner did 14 dives he would have done more but they were shut on sundays. The were buckets and spades and a few air beds for the children to use. We liked the choices in the beach bar food was nice the staff were friendly and happy.
The food in the evening was also great but you did have to book one of the evenings it was my birthday I had balloons at the table and my pudding had happy birthday written in chocolate sauce and candles this happened a few times to other people and you did not have to tell them it was your birthday they just did it. I never found the service slow but they did not rush you either.
Entertainment was great Especially new years eve where we had a huge party with a live band and fireworks. the entertainment finished at about 10.30 pm news years eve it was 3.00am I came down for breakfast early and the place was as if nothing had happened the night before the staff must have worked all night to clear up.
All the staff were not rude but very helpful. Maybe it helps to be polite to them I found that it was never too much trouble to help you what ever the request.
Only complaint the mini bar was overpriced but then you did not have to use it and that if you wanted fizzy wine with your meal you had to pay for it at about £5.50 a glass you soon drink something else.
We can only say after being in one of Tobago's other hotels you would be more than pleased to be at the Coco reef . Would go back again.

Stayed December 2007
4 Thank WestySuffolk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (399)
Modena
Reviewed January 9, 2008

Just returned from a disappointing 2 weeks at the coco reef.
We found the rooms a drab and the rug on the floor was filthy.
Bathrooms small with noisy fans and dirty hairdryers.
The beach is completely man made which is fair enough but what they don't tell you is that this narrow stretch of imported sand is almost entirely enclosed by 2 side walls which means you are
swimming in a shallow pond. Lifeguards are on hand on jet skis so be very careful if you want to have a real swim or snorkel outside this lagoon. I was very nearly run over. Tobago is fantastic and we found the only surly tobagonians were the staff at coco reef particularly in the beach bar restaurant which they run like mafiosi
deciding who will sit where and at what time. Some were, in fact, extremely brisk and discourteous so don't step out of line! Food in the main restaurant was overworked with sauce on everything. All in all the hotel is fine for the gullible british family tourist - it offers an extortionate exchange rate (TT$6) and gave us false information regarding the bank rate (TT7) when in reality at the bank next door to the property we got $8.5!
We found them quite rapacious - over charging for water, charging for lost room keys and sending out "cocograms" politely requesting you to settle your bill once over TT$3,000. (having pocketed a huge amount for the room already are they really worried you are going to sneak off the island without paying for your little extras)? Pathetic. What is worse is that the bell boy who delivered the coco gram comitted the cardinal sin and ignored the do not disturb sign. No apology either. We were also misinformed about timings for the fruit and vegetable market in Scarborough which was annoying as, like many caribbean hotels they only offer melons (which does not grow there) and pineapple, banana and pawpaw. We asked for some lime for our drinks to be told they were out of season which was strange considering we had seen a rainforest full of them.
And talking of cocktails forget it. The bar staff are trained only to mix & serve cocktails from huge plastic bottles of ready mix and concentrate. A fruit punch made of fruit was beyond them.

Unfortunately for Tobago which does not benefit I can only recommend the all inclusive rate. There was a mix up over our rate and for the first 10 days we were half board and were treated like second class guests who were n't allowed the beach cocktail etc. We only received the "welcome" letter once they realised we were all inclusive. We were also annoyed to learn that the hotel takes a commission from some of the tours and guides that they offer so I was really glad that I kept on refusing
the many social director's suggestions and booked direct.

Having said all this I must add that my teenage daughters loved Coco Reef. There was lots of entertainment and music and the grounds are tropically fabulous. The groundsmen were the most courteous and the beach was beautifully cleaned.

No way could I recommend Coco Reef to my Italian clients.
I think it should be downgraded.

Stayed January 2008
4 Thank chiaranna
Seattle, WA
Reviewed January 2, 2008

We stayed at Coco Reef over the holidays, which is the most expensive week to stay in the area. Our junior suite cost $1000 (US dollars) a night. While the room was adequate, it was absolutely not worth that much. We did not even have a view of the ocean.

The service was spotty. When we arrived, we waited at the front desk for 10 minutes with our bags for someone to show us to our room. Everything seems to take longer, which would be acceptable if I wasn't paying so much. We were charged for items in the mini-bar, which we did not eat, because the mini-bar was not fully stocked when we arrived and they refused to take the items off our bill. Again, this was a minor inconvenience, but the customer service was poor. I expect better from an expensive resort.

• Liked — near the airport
  • Disliked — overpriced
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank EWV
U.S.A
Reviewed December 17, 2007

Spent two very forgetable weeks (Nov 28-Dec 11 2007) in Tobago while staying at the Coco Reef Resort Spa. Our superior ocean view room (reserved five months in advance) was located above the "stage" where the nightly entertainment played and the ocean was visible if one reclined on the balcony and peaked under the palm branches. We requested a more suitable location but were informed the hotel was fully booked. After much discussion with the front desk managers (Susan and Antonio) we were relocated the following day to the quiet end of the hotel overlooking the noisy public beach and in close proximity to an outdoor concert venue where amateur night "musicians" played weekdays until 4:15 AM. Drums and bass instruments vibrated throughout the room during the entire "performance".

The room was small and Spartanly furnished. The queen size pillow top mattress was an improvement over the hard standard bed in the first room. Unfortunately, sheets did not fit and wrapped around us during the night. Safety pins we brought with us proved useful to minimize nightly repeated aggravation.

Towels disappeared with nightly turndown service and had to be replenished with a phone call to the front desk where the attendant always replied "towels are on the way" but never arrived. I eventually discovered an unlocked linen closet and retrieved them myself.

Bathroom lighting was so poor we could barely see our reflexions in the mirror. After bulbs were changed, we could still hardly see ourselves in the mirror.

Toilet would not flush and required repair.

TV remote control did not function and had it replaced. Second one did not operate either. TV reception is intermittent especially in rainy weather which we encountered nearly every day during daylight hours. You can hear inbound airline conversations overlaying TV audio/video during the evening.

Water pipes ruptured in several rooms--at opposite ends of the building, on two occasions--flooding several rooms. Fortunately, our room was located on the second floor and the only inconvenience was several hours without water. The burst pipes caused all public restrooms, and probably all rooms near the incident, to be without water for prolonged time periods. One of the hotel guests I became acquainted with moved three times during a seven day stay. This was not the record with another guest moving five times during a one week visit. We felt blessed with only one move, albeit to a less than desired location.

We purchased the full board (all-inclusive) meal plan @ $99 per person per day because we had not visited Tobago before. This was a good decision as we didn't see many alternatives near the hotel. Near the end of week #2 we were constantly asked if we purchased the all-inclusive meal plan and were treated a bit shabbily as a result. Heineken beer was rationed for most of the two weeks although it is part of the meal plan. If you buy the meal plan, it must be for the entire duration of the stay which we found peculiar as we have not had this problem elsewhere.

Food was served in two areas.

The dressier restaurant (slacks for men, dresses or slacks for women) presented an image of a higher quality dining experience by ordering from an extensive menu. This is a facade insofar as the service is frequently very slow and table attendants surly, especially toward Americans, although many Brits echoed the same sentiment. Food quality was average at best even though the presentation was top notch. When we would politely ask for an ordered menu item that didn't arrive, there was a rude facial expression and the "lost" item may or may not be delivered before the end of the meal. I do not recommend ordering iced tea as this requested item seldom arrived. Desserts are very tasty, especially the nightly sorbet special. This was frequently the only salvation to an aggravating
ordeal.

The casual eating area off the beach served buffet style selections which we did not sample primarily due to the presence of screaming children and heavy smokers, each of which we attempt to avoid during vacation excursions.

This same area is where lunch is served--the exact same menu is presented every single day. Serving time is noon to 3:00 PM. Do not expect to find most of the popular items available after 1:00 PM because they are not refilled.

Meats (chicken, pork, lamb, hamburgers) are prepared on the grill as well as "vegetables". Meat was tasty however veggies
(one small slice of egg plant, one slice of squash, one slice of carrot and 1/3 of one ear of corn) were rationed and you could not anticipate each of the above items to be served. On two occasions I was informed the vegetable selection was "an either or" opportunity and only opted for the dryly grilled corn.

It rained nearly every day at noon and the buffet food was relocated to the upstairs dining area. Each day it seemed to be a surprise to the staff that the food needed to be moved. There is no forward prepartion for these common events. We found this to be evident throughout the hotel due to very weak management.

Nightly local entertainment provided by the hotel is excellent and was certainly the high point each evening.

Beach was small and overcrowded most of the time.

I am a scuba diver and enjoyed diving with Undersea Tobago located on the resort property. Quality of diving is average with the exception of nine foot long nurse sharks. Current is quite strong especially on the Atlantic side. Visibility is 50-75 feet.

Driving in Tobago is dangerous and nerve racking. I have driven cars on every island we visited during the past 15 years and never had I regretted it until Tobago. Inhabitants are reckless, roads are deplorable, with very few road/street signs.
Despite what locals tell you, it is easy to become lost on this island. As an example, no one at the hotel front desk could tell us the name of the street the hotel is located on!

In summary, our time spent on the island and in the resort, was not up to our expectations (and price paid!). We all have pet peeves from time-to-time, however we felt cheated with shoddy and rude service from most employees. We will never return to Tobago/Trinidad or the Coco Reef. Every problem we encountered was monumental for the management to resolve and repeat patrons were most assuredly courted with vigor. If it weren't for such poor treatement, we could possibly have become one of their "repeaters". Not now--no thank you!

24 Thank happytraveler0000
Midlands UK
Reviewed December 10, 2007

What a shame this hotel has all the right ingredients to be a first class hotel.
It has it's own private lagoon which is good for snorkling. It's quality of food in the restaurant is very good and it is close to the airport but does not suffer from plane noise.
On the down side there there are no room safes, you can use a safety box behind the reception but most of these are very small and inconvenient. I emailled the hotel on numerous occasions prior to arriving to ensure all my documents and video camera would be safely stored. When I arrived I was offered a secure box that could not store my video camera, when I asked to speak to the Duty Manager the meeting was very hostile and she basically told me it was my fault for not confirming my camera size prior to arriving.
Come on Coco Reef, my camera is a normal tourist size not a professional monster. The attitude of the Duty Manager straight away alienated me from the hotel especially when she said there are no plans to include room safes and I should come back in 5 to 10 years if I expected a change! Needless to say I won't rush back.
The attitude of the Duty Manager appears to have rubbed of on a large number of the staff who do not appear to enjoy their work. This is a real shame when the Carribbean is noted for it's life and sense of fun.
This may sound as if I had a bad holiday, I did not. The hotel is probably best suited to the older less demanding guest but if you are looking for something more keep going to another page in the brochure as the Carribbean if full of better Managed hotels, but few offer a better location.

• Liked — The lagoon location
  • Disliked — The attitude of many staff members
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
7 Thank Alan C
Kent
Reviewed November 29, 2007

Just got back from Coco Reef after another wonderfull week (we were there in June).Staff could not be more helpfull and with their smiles who could not be happy just looking at them. We had been upgraded to a suite on arrival which was a nice surprise. We did have a small complaint one evening in Tamaras resturant but staff and management resolved this immediatly what more could you ask.On reading other reveiws posted we cannot understand some of the poor comments although some people will never be satisfied. We will be returning to Coco Reef in the future for the brilliant food great snorkelling in the lagoon and just Liming on the beach with someone bringing fruit and cocktails to us while we soak up the sun. Great Caribbean hospitality.

• Liked — Location,Hospitality,Staff
  • Disliked — Coming home
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
14 Thank sitch
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed November 28, 2007

Read many reviews beforehand and was pleasantly surprised. Resort was of high quality for the area. Staff were helpful and cheerful, particulary the Social Director who helped organise some great day trips. The Off Road Jeep Safari and Glass Bottom Boat to Bucco Reef and Nylon Pool were highly enjoyable. The waiting/bar/restarant staff were efficient and delighfully cheeky. And I loved the smiles I always received from the porters/bell hops every time I passed thro the front entrance.
Breakfast was a culinary delight with increadible variety, something to suit everybodies taste and lots of it. I was only on B&B so cant comment on other meals.
Stayed in one of the Villas which was always kept clean and cool with surprisingly few mosquitos. Bathroom suite and kitchen area outdated, not up to modern standards, but hey Man, its Tobago! it was still better than expected.
The Tropical Gardens and landscaping were beautiful and impeccablely kept.
I never used the pool or gym facilities but with the warm Caribbean waters gently lapping up the white sand (from Guyana I believe!) was all that was required. To 'swim with the fishes' takes on a different meaning here. Snorkling equipment, boards, canoes and small sail boats are available free of charge. So much to do but sometimes all I did was sip a cool Carib and just enjoyed some Limeing.

• Liked — Beach
  • Disliked — shower
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
9 Thank Carotini
Le Grand Courlan Spa Resort
Mount Irvine Bay Resort
Mount Irvine Bay Resort
#1 of 1 in Mount Irvine

Been to Coco Reef Tobago? Share your experiences!