We returned to Coco Reef having spent a lovely week there last year and we weren't disappointed! Many of the staff remembered us and we were greeted like long lost friends. Eric the manager seemed genuinely pleased to see us. We were upgraded to a suite with our name on the door, given flowers, chocolates, free internet, tea and coffee machine and 2 meals for 2 at the cafe Coco round the corner. The hotel has had a coat of paint (indeed the painting was ongoing) since our last visit and looked much fresher. The beach and lagoon were lovely as ever. Plenty of sunbeds and shade under the palm trees.
Breakfasts are amazing - you can eat enough for the day! And the presence of Coco the hawk and his friend the Eagle Owl make it even nicer. There is a wide range of salads and other dishes and usually a Barbeque for lunch and dinner was also excellent (although dining late runs the risk of the most popular dishes running out).
All inclusive is the way to go. In addition to the main meals, sandwiches and cakes and ice cream are available most of the day together with as much as you can drink and all manner of cocktails. The measures of spirits are enormous! Cafe Coco is excellent and a nice change from the hotel.
The entertainment was indifferent but it is perfectly pleasant sitting it the upstairs open air lounge after dinner chatting to other guests.
We had quite a lot of rain (although it was mainly at night) but that did seem to encourage the mosquitos so I would take a decent repellent.
The island itself is lovely. Unspoiled, friendly and very safe. We drove round the island which took all day and was quite an experience (beware landslides and fallen trees although in the north west other cars are unusual.) Driving is on the left and not difficult. Petrol is really cheap (around 40p/litre) Do go up to Charlotteville if you get the chance, it's lovely but don't bother with Scarborough - bit of a dump!
Of course the best bit about Tobago is the birds. Around the hotel we saw pelicans, frigate birds, laughing gulls, terns, humming birds, tanagers, antshrikes and of course the bananquits. (Put some suger on your balcony and a bit of banana in the bushes then sit back and watch).On the wires around the airport look out for the little lovebirds (parrotlets). Look in the tree outside room 201 around sunset and you'll see 2 motmots turn up regular as clockwork! We stumbled on Adventure Eco in Arnos Vale, home of Ean McKay where there is an honesty box and you can sit and watch the humming birds feed (5 out of the 6 species on the island) so close you can hear their wings hum. (Ean is trying to train them to feed from your hand). We also saw woodpeckers, motmots, tanagers, antshrikes and of course bananaquits. Ean rings a bell and suddenly the birds appear from nowhere! Whilst out driving we saw more motmots, a Jaquamar, a treecreeper, black hawks, boobys, a brown winged hawk, chachalacas, orange winged parrots, and best of all an osprey carrying a fish.
We will definitely return I've started saving already!
The area is very safe - I went running every morning round by the airport and although the source of some amusement, all the locals waved and said hello.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Exquisite architecture and well manicured grounds warmly welcome you to the enchanting paradise that is Coco Reef Resort. Tranquil turquoise waters caress the white sands of our private beach with magnificent snorkeling just outside the breakwater. Enjoy kayaking, pedalos, diving, tennis, gym, in-house shopping, massages, manicures, pedicures and much more. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Priceline, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Cheap Tickets, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, Cancelon, Evoline ltd and getaroom.com so you can book your Coco Reef Resort & Spa Tobago reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Coco Reef Tobago Hotel Crown Point
- Coco Reef Tobago Crown Point
- Coco Reef Resort Tobago
- Coco Reef Resort & Spa Tobago Crown Point