“Improved”

Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Crown Point
england
“Improved”
Reviewed June 3, 2006

We have been back to the Tropikist for a second visit and we were delighted at the improvements. I can't understand the moaners, maybe they should try to treat people as they wish to be treated themselves.
Nothing was too much trouble for the staff and Mr Singh was wonderful, he made our stay special and I will definately be returning.
If you want 5* accomodation, then you need to pay for it, Tropikist is not 5* but the staff definately are.
If anyone has booked to go there,don't worry. It seems like some people want the earth without having to pay the price.
The rooms are clean, the food is ok and the pool is lovely, the hotel is in a great location for getting about,enjoy!

9 Thank jeanham

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (208)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 2, 2006

I was very concerned prior to arriving at this hotel at the bad reviews it seemed to have been given and expected the worst! However this was not the case. We arrived early afternoon to pleasant reception staff who were helpful and polite . We had booked a superior room but had been upgraded to the deluxe room which was lovely and big.
The balcony overlooked the ocean and it had all all that we needed. Staff immediately bought a cot to the room for my son . Housekeeping was excellent and on a daily basis and there was no shortage of towels!
Breakfast was the usual buffet style and my only complaint was that the one toaster they had was very slow! Lunch was a selection of fast food ie burgers, hot dogs with fries or you could opt for the salad. Evening meal was different everynight sometimes a la carte and sometimes buffet and was mostly good. They provided a plate of chips every night for my son who wouldnt eat anything else.

I would say that most of the bar and resturant staff are lovely. There were a couple that seemed to wish they werent there but you expect that in most places. The Manager Kechie (I think) who had worked hard to turn this hotel from a run down Fawlty Towers to a reputable 3-4* hotel needs a big pat on the back. He was always rushing about serving and encouraging staff members to pull their weight yet still had time for a chat! I am sure he will be missed ! There is meant to be new management taking over this week so I cannot confirm that any of the above comments will still apply I hope they do as this hotel is quiet and peacepul and you get more indivual attention then the large complexes.

My only complaint is that even though we were all-inclusive we werent allowed all of the types of drinks available and had to watch what we ordered.

I am a travel agent so I do know what a good and a bad hotel is and I would have no problem in recommending this hotel as long as all the hard work that the Manager Kechie has done is kept up.

7 Thank madamcholet
Reviewed May 30, 2006

I stayed at Tropikist with my wife for 4 days to celebrate our Wedding Anniversary. What we ended up with, however, was a horrible experience. This has to go down as the worst hotel I have ever stayed in. I am surprised that the hotel still attracts vacationers. If you are considering the Tropikist, look somewhere else.

The highpoint of our visit was checking in. The receptionist was very polite and welcoming. From here on, things went downhill. The second high-point was checking out.

We rented the deluxe room, which overlooks the sea. This is probably the only thing going for these rooms. Nothing really special about these rooms.

NOTE the following:

Ironing Board: The ironing board cover was stained all over, and all bent up. Very difficult to iron on.

Ironer: The fixture where the ironer is kept practically fell apart. It totally detached from the wall.

Face Sink: The link mechanism for the stopper in the face sink was non-functional. It was always in the closed position, so we had to continually lift the stopper to prevent the sink from over-flowing with water while using it.

Ceiling: This is probably the worst. After it had rained, water was leaking from the ceiling. We were out that day, and when we returned, we were shocked to find water all over the floor. Water was dripping from 2 spots in the ceiling, as well as from several areas along the walls. After complaining to the manager, we were given another room. However, no apology was given from the Manager. It seemed they were doing us a favour.

I will never set foot near this Hotel ever again. I will also make it a point to contnue to inform prospective visitors to Tobago about my experiences with this hotel, and this is a promise.

In summary, Do Not Stay There!

• Stayed July 2005
1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Travelers are raving about these Crown Point hotels

Reviewed May 21, 2006

Having stayed here justa week all inclusive was the worst holidays ever,

the same food was dished out all day just mixed up into something else but it all tasted the same , when we would ask for a cocktail the staff behind the bar would tut as if it was too much hard work , sometimes u would ask for a drink and the staff would not even come back!!

Carribean service is bad anyway but this is a budget hotel if you want something special do not come here , the pool is clean and nice but there is not much there it should be a 2-3 star.

• Stayed November 2004
3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 15, 2006

Well reading these other reviews it is fair to say that I was worried before I went. I should have realised that there are always people to moan about good things and ignored them as life is sweet at the Tropikist Tobago. Mr Singh the bar manager is great, I think he genuinley enjoys his job and the people and will do what he can for you. The standard of the hotel is not 5* but there again the island is not, it is all a warm welcoming and comfortable stay though. The rooms to the right of reception have air con and sea views, the maid cleaned these thouroughly every day leaving plenty of towels etc. Everything was safe and secure, no reason to think you are ever getting ripped off here. It is the only place that I can say you truly mingle with the locals as there is no mass tourism. Everyone wants to help you out, the only thing I can think of to be careful would be when booking excursions. Go for someone reccommended as you might pay a lot more if you agree to something from someone you don't know. Go and see Dimples or Wayne at Store Bay beach for a taxi or a tour - wonderful honest men. Go to Sunday school (although not as lively as I thought it would be). This island is different to the other caribbean islands I have been to, more of a relaxed place without being too geared up for the tourist - but that is the attraction. The wages here are crap and if you get good service from the hotel staff and tip them, I promise you the next night you will get even better service - they were treating us like celebrities for a couple of quid tip. It means so much to them though. The massage down on the beach is well worth it - I honestly have no complaints. The food was okay the drinks are good and hospitality is first class - book it and enjoy!

11 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 9, 2006

Hi,

I've been visiting the Tropikist last week with my girl-friend and 8yr old daughter and we all loved it. It's a very good mid-class hotel, and you get what you pay for ! Don't expect luxery from Hilton class, that's out of their league. The surrounding of the swimming pool is absolutely grand, so is the garden around it and the sea view. Some words of advice though:
- the hotel is very close to the airport, especially the Boeing 777's are making a lot of noise but luckely the only come by 2-3 times a day. Other plains are small and from the swimming pool side you hardly hear them.
- the standard rooms are low-budget and you get what you pay for (basically a room with a bed and a shower). Try to avoid the standard rooms at the front sight of the hotel, here the 777's land for your room door ;-( and a/c's are old and make a lot of noise.
- we've asked for an upgrade after 2 days in a standard room and the new superior rooms are excellent. They are kept more clean than the standards, have sea view all of them and airfan on the ceiling as well as new a/c's
- were earplugs if there is 'live music' ;-)

The restaurant is pretty good but somewhat expensive for island standards (all meals are quoted in USdollars and normally around 20,-). The new restaurant manager is a nice guy and does his best to improve it and keep the standards high. He can't break iron with hands though, and if he's gone for a day ... the staff is more relaxed and not always to the advantage of the guests ;-( Breakfast is well taken care of and the dining facilities are just great ... no walls, sea view and this warm caribean breeze ... lovely !

Tobago itself is just what we needed ... no huge tourism facilties, night clubs, fancy restaurants etc. .. but a pure caribean island, extremely relaxed .. but don't come by if you a looking for entertainment. Have a walk to pigeon bay beach facilities ... just great and bago bar has good sool foud !

Enjoy it in a relaxed way !

8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 5, 2006

Well Tropikist i will try to be constructive. Yes some of the things mentioned in the reviews are true. Towels & room service need to be sorted before mid day. Our room was okay, but all soon need up dating.Food good, no complaints there.The restaurant manager did every thing he could, to make our stay enjoyable. He succeded, we had a fabulous time. Yes you can get frustrated at times, but eh you must remember why you come to the Caribbean.
Cannot wait to return.So thank you to the Restaurant manager who is very much needed at the Tropikist, we will return. The flight home another story.

• Stayed April 2006
Grafton Beach Resort
Grafton Beach Resort
#2 of 2 in Black Rock
Le Grand Courlan Spa Resort

Been to Tropikist Beach Hotel & Resort? Share your experiences!