“Amazing....”

Tropikist Beach Hotel & Resort
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Crown Point
“Amazing....”
Reviewed May 3, 2006

I have recently returned home from The Tropikist and I had a fabulous time. The people in the hotel, especially Mr Singh and Keisha were more than helpful. I would definately go back. The rooms were cleaned every day and the caretakers and gardeners were out each morning tidying up, fixing something and grooming the place. Overall I found the people of Tobago very friendly - treat people how you would expect to be treated and you can't go wrong.

I felt very much at home in Tobago after a short time. Watch out for the taxi drivers - they always try to get that bit extra from you but just put your foot down - or agree the price before you get in - that's what us geordie girls done anyway!!

There isn't much nightlife in Tobago full stop - things do close early but a holiday is what you make it. Shade Nightclub is a must (wed, thurs, fri & sat) - lots of locals and tourists. Go to the Tropikist and enjoy it for what it is....

• Stayed March 2006
6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (208)
Reviewed April 21, 2006

I made reservation at this Hotel in December 2004 to spend my honeymoon after I got married that same month. For the most part I was pleased with the environment except for the meals provided. When my wife made reservation, she was clearly told that since we were reserving a honeymoon sweet, all meals, including drinks were included. However, when we did have dinner, we didn't get any alcoholic drinks. This was not a real problem since neither of us drink much so we settled for sodas. For lunch, we ordered chicken sandwiches as listed on the lunch menu only to to told the following " the chicken van eh pass today " What an embarrasement for a reputed hotel.
When we checked out, I was told we had to pay for the drinks - the sodas we had with our meals. I reflected to the attendant at the desk that we had the honeymoon sweet and all drinks were included. She said no drinks were included with our package and sodas had to paid for seperately. She said we could have drank water if we didn't want to pay for the drinks. This is false advertising and robery and is not acceptable. How can your package include drinks and not delivered as promised without charges? I spent almost $3000 for a 3 nights, four day package. Drinks shouldn't have been an issue here.

I will take my $ US elsewhere.

• Stayed December 2004
4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Travelers are raving about these Crown Point hotels

Essex, England
Reviewed April 20, 2006

We went to the Tropikist with some trepidation after reading some of the reviews, but it could not have been more different.

Our room was lovely (Deluxe) with a big king size bed, plenty of space along with a balcony overlooking the sea. The bathroom was OK, with a bath and shower over. We had clean towels every day and did not have to ask once for them.

The hotel is trying to redecordate certain areas, but this does not cause too much bother.

The pool is not as clean as it should be, but they are trying.

Food. We never had a bad meal in the 2 weeks we were there. the choice is not great, but what there is, is always hot and edible. It was a mixture of a la carte and buffet in the evening, which was nice. Breakfast is OK, but this could definetly be improved and lunch was again of the menu and served to your table.

The only problem we had, was that the Management in Trinidad tried to make us pay again, by telling us our travel company had gone out of business and that we would have to pay before we left. Obviously we refused, as we had our Invoices stating that we had paid in full, they then cancelled our All Inclusive, which caused a major arguement, but eventually this was reinstated. I cannot fault any of the staff especially the Manager Mr Singh, who did everything possible to make our staff perfect.

The entertainment leaves a lot to be desired, and if they can improve on this, then the hotel will be even better.

If you are expecting 5* amenities and food, then you will be disappointed, but it is trying and working towards a 4* rating.

If you want a bit of pampering, go to the Spa downstairs, I had a lovely predicure and the lady that runs the spa is wonderful.

• Stayed April 2006
1 Thank MAZ1406
Reviewed April 19, 2006

It all began the moment we stepped foot in the hotel: Our rooms weren't ready. Our group of 6 had to split up - Fine, no problem; that's something that's expected during a busy time in any country. However one room had a leaking AC (which the caretakers had to replace a towel underneath daily) and a leaking tap and one had no telephone.
We were told that when we returned from the beach everything would be sorted out. It wasn't. We waited another hour in the lobby while they switched the beds in our rooms to make space for us to sleep. Still - we did not complain, we're not paying for a 5 star hotel anyway, but we at least hoped we were paying for rooms that could be locked when we left; in both rooms, the sliding back door DID NOT LOCK!!! When we reported this, we were told someone will be sent to look at it. And that's just what they did - look at it. Being all girls we sure felt safe!
When time to leave they had revoked their promise to accomodate us for a couple more hours until our flight left because it has seemed they had overbooked and were getting really busy (and confused). They had us walking back and forth with our luggage unable to figure out where to put us. When we finally did express some upset they decided since we had already paid them we were no long thier problem. We were left with no where to go. This is when we drew the line. When asked for some sort of help of compensation they refused us and stressed out my firend so much that she fainted, fell outside by herself and started vomitting. When asked to call an ambulance, they called the police instead...to get rid of us. The police officers laughed. If they didn't come I'm not sure if we would have been able to say another 30 min to care for our friend until she was able to walk. This was the scariest part; I have never experinced such heartlessness and non-professionalism.
I would like to mention however that the cleaning ladies were caring and helpful. There were also several workers who did extend thier sympathy and who could not do anything about thier manager's decision.
Some people may have had good stay, but I sure as heck didn't!!

Oh, and to top it all off, they phoned us in Canada to ask if we had taken thier beach towels!!!!

• Stayed April 2006
1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 3, 2006

Found this website after I booked my stay at the tropikist and boy was I worried.

All the reviews had something to complain about, be it the rude management and staff, threats of violence, rooms left filthy, water not running, charged for tv, hotel looking like a demolition site, charged for towels, being charged extra on top of your all inclusive deal, food poisoning etc
Needless to say, my stomach turned over after paying a lot of money for an all inclusive deal, for two, at a hotel that's reputedly the 'Faulty Towers of the Caribbean'.
but.....

I found not all of what was said to be true.

My girlfriend (a really fussy japanese woman) and I got to know almost everyone at the hotel, from our short stay, by name and even went out to party with a few.

The food wasn't always great (burgers/hotdogs/flying fish sandwiches with fries for lunch.
Dinner: roast, stew, curry etc
Weekend: Buffet of freshly grilled fish, pork, beef or chicken), though a good effort was made for the weekend menu Strong on local flavours and produce.

They gave me a pool towel when I asked but they had to be in at reception by 6pm as the pools were closed at this hour.

We paid £7 for a safety locker and that was our only extra charge on top of our all-inclusive deal.

Breakfast is from 7 to 9 am with pancakes with maple syrup, omelettes made to order, some seriously crispy bacon, tomato choka (tomatoes with onion and garlic and a touch of chilli), fried plantain and other local food (including fruit and juices).
No food poisoning,but rather feeling more content. Hurrah!

All local drinks are free on all inclusive. If you want a Budwieser you can wait until you get back home or you will get charged extra. Besides, the local drinks (VAT 19 Rum, Carib, Stag, Old Oak etc) are all very addictive stuff and hit the spot when relaxing by the pool bar or after dinner.

There is a waterfall by the pool. It's aesthetically pleasing but don't swim around there. The fall creates a current and drags everything that's floating on top the water (flowers and insects) to that area.
The jacuzzi is well hidden and overlooks the ocean. The water is hot so try not to go in if you have been drinking. I learnt the hard way…nearly drowned.

The beach has sandy front. In the water there is coral which will cut you. Swim at Store Bay which is five minutes walk from the hotel. The hotel beach (or sun lounge) is designed to watch the most magnificent of sunsets.

The room had two double beds with a sliding glass patio door, overlooking the ocean, which is breathtaking to wake-up to in the morning.
Working air con, which could turn your room into an icebox within minutes when needed.
TV if you want it, with HBO cinema and other American and local channels.
The bathroom has a marble wash basin with a hot and cold shower and bath. The shower was hard to figure out as you had to pull a pin that is actually in the bath tap (where the water comes out to fill the bath) to get the shower working.

Everyday we would leave that room at tip and cover everything in sand and everyday someone cleared up our mess the moment we left the room. We started leaving the room worse and worse condition each day to see how they would cope, and they left our room spotless overtime.
I tipped no one, which I am now sorry for.

Most of the hotel grounds have to be washed with fresh water every other day otherwise things get sandy and rusty so, the hotel looked in good shape.

My one complaint is that the bar closed at 11pm, but the staff have to sleep at some time.

It works out close to £32 (each) a night without the flight and I have to say that’s value for money.

To the people who wrote a negative review:
I’m really sorry about what happened to you on your stay there and you do have the god given right to complain but there is always a solution to a problem if you explain to staff, with respect, your issue. It is not a five star hotel so don’t expect the world.
It easier for us to complain than to say good thing’s about what may have happened during our stay.
Again, I’m truly sorry but I had a great time.

I would recommend this place to people of a laid back nature and would know how to solve a situation should a problem arise.

Peace and Love
NaV.

• Stayed October 2005
10 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed March 26, 2006

The Tropikist Hotel is set in a wonderful location, every room has a sea view. The gardens are beautifully manicured. The staff are friendly, although do not seem to have mastered customer liaison skills. The food is local and is well cooked. The menu lacked variety. The main fault with this hotel is there is hardly any night life, which is ok if you are going for a complete rest. The bar shuts between 10 and 11. The saving grace of The Tropikist is the restaurant manager, Selwyn. He is very friendly and helpful and is so eager to please. If you want anything, he will try his best to accommodate you.

3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed February 21, 2006

We went to Tobago to celebrate my Mum's 60th birthday. We were five people staying at the hotel. Overall, our two weeks were just lovely.
Tropikist offered very nice front desk staff, a perfect pool area, clean beach towels and good beds. Do try the jacuzzi - it's hidden but has a gorgeous view.

The spa is also excellent: Pat Faraday is a gem. Do try her massage or have a great facial done!

The Tobagans were friendly and very easy-going and both Store Bay and Pigeon Point are nice beaches.

We can also recommend going with Islandman Tours on a full day boat trip. On the trip we caught kingfish and barracuda, spotted a turtle and had a wonderful afternoon, with great food, on the paradise beach of No Man's Land. You can meet Dexter at Dimple's chair rental on the beach in Store Bay. The captain of the boat, Barry, also runs the dive center at Tropikist. A very experienced and reliable guy. Give him a call - he's so cool!

Our room (#38) was flooded three times because of a problem with the toilet. We had to mop it up ourselves and my husband who is handy managed to temporarily stem the water each time. The plumber never showed up. After the third time we asked for another room. We were moved to (#82) the second floor where the airconditioner is so noisy it's not possible to have a conversation while it's on. Also, the water tanks and pumps on the roof rumble and groan very loudly intermittently from 5 a.m. to 11 p.m. We didn't know whether to laugh or cry when we moved in. We bought earplugs and a big bottle of rum and settled in for the rest of our stay...

The restaurant manager was very eager to make us try the restaurant. We did. We were immensely disappointed. On our first night after 19 hours of travel we asked if there was any chance of having a sandwich or a light meal and they could not accomodate us. We were offered the buffet or nothing at all. The staff hardly looked at us, no less communicated with us. The food was drab, tasteless and really expensive. I felt like I was at Fawlty Towers! The signing of bills was like a religion - and when we found out a local beer was US 4 we felt utterly cheated (it's normally US 1-1,50 at restaurants). Finally, when we were checking out, the printer at the front desk had broken down so there was no summary of the room charges to review. We were adamant and asked to see the individual receipt slips. Lo and behold - a US 250 charge that wasn't ours! That receipt was not signed at all...

Have a lovely stay at Tropikist, but stay well away from the restaurant and bring your earplugs!

• Stayed February 2005
Grafton Beach Resort
Grafton Beach Resort
#2 of 2 in Black Rock
Le Grand Courlan Spa Resort

Been to Tropikist Beach Hotel & Resort? Share your experiences!