“Had a wondeful time”

Tropikist Beach Hotel & Resort
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Crown Point
Trinidad
Reviewed December 4, 2005

After reading the negative reviews that were posted about his hotel I was very positively surprised at the exceptioal standard at this hotel as well as the kind and courteous staff.

The room was clean with an exceptional view.the Jacuzzi was private and perfect for couples.The food was as expected at hotel.

we did experience some negatives at this resort, namely the poor excuse for a tea time, the lack of nightly entertainment and a very negative server at breakfast, but these points were overshadowed by the postives.I recommend it for anyone.

• Stayed: December 2005
3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

U.K.
Reviewed November 28, 2005

Shelagh & Pete UK Nov 05

Firstly I would like to say that I do not normally put reviews on any websites but after staying at Tropikist Beach Hotel. I feel that I must warn people about this terrible hotel. I have travelled all around the Caribbean and stayed in 8 different 3* hotels, so I am not just being fussy.

Rooms – the rooms are filthy and small and to expect 2 grown adults to sleep in a 4ft bed is ridiculous, the air conditioning, although we had it as cold as possible, it never got cool enough to be comfortable. A previous occupant had at sometime put a piece of paper on the floor to spray themselves with something and that had left a clean mark on the floor. (We could remove it with shampoo and loo roll with no problem) 2 mornings we got up to find we had no water. And the bedside light was broken. And I did hang the curtain back up where they had fallen off the curtain hooks. Although I did find out towards the end of my holiday that they do have much better rooms if you moan enough.

Food - breakfast was very limited they had a electric ring that they could get 2 very small frying pans on, this had to do all the omelettes and fried eggs, they also had 2 toasters to do all the toast for everyone, a covered hotplate with baked beans, chopped hotdogs, and sometimes U.S. style bacon or if you were early enough you could have cornflakes. This was the same every day. This is the first time that you will sign for the food and drink.
Lunch toasted sandwiches, hotdogs burgers chicken drumsticks all served with chips the same everyday they do have other thing on the menu but you have to pay extra for them making you feel bad for being a all inclusive guest you will have to sign again for your lunch so if you had any kind of drink before lunch this will be the 3rd time.
3pm shift change so you start signing for any drinks (even soft) all over again.
Evening meal this was not to bad if you went early, before they ran out, but be careful as you again have to pay extra for some meals and again you will have to sign if you are all inclusive.

Bar they had 2 local beers Stag or Carib but they ran out every day; the most we ever saw them bring in was 2 cases at a time this was meant to last all day. When this ran out you could have Miller lite (not very Caribbean) Vodka ran out 3 times and they didn’t have any more until the next day. A lot of the cocktails had an extra charge.

Beach although this is called a beach resort the beach is very small and not very clean, it is so rocky that you can not walk into the water from this beach. However 10 minuets walk down the road is a nice beach.

Towels They were taken from your room about 9am, even if they had not been used, and not returned until about 4.30. If you wanted a shower in the day you had to ask reception for a towel and never turned up

• Stayed: November 2005
8  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Trinidad, W.I
Reviewed November 10, 2005

I must admit like several other people I was alittle nervous about our honeymoon booking at the Tropikist Beach Hotel. After all of the not so favourable reviews that I read, I was wondering if we had made a mistake. But we had an absolutely fabulous time. The staff had our room nicely prepared when we arrived with fruit, wine and flower petals all over. The room was clean, spacious and what a fantastic view!! The pools were fabulous, as well as the jacuzzi if you just want to kick back and relax.

The staff(Natasha/Karlene) at the front desk were very friendly, courteous and displayed excellent customer service skills. The manager(as well as his assistant) were hard working and visible at every meal. The food was quite tasty, but my only suggestion would be a wider selection with your choice of entres for dinner.

I have recommended the Tropikist to friends since we have returned and I would continue to do so. Thank you Tropikist for making our honeymoon memorable. We will be back!!!

• Stayed: October 2005
Reviewed October 27, 2005

This hotel was truly wonderful! I was very sceptical with it being so close to the airport, however, very surprised. The staff, management, rooms, pools, food, everything was just perfect and they went out of there way to make us feel home from home. A definate recommendation if they keep the standards up! Good luck Mark the manager, and his staff, Ronnie and Jev in particular. A truly lovely time, with fond memories. However my title is Frankie Leander. This man is not related to the hotel however he could go into the hotel and sell tours, and rip tourists off. I understand he has now been barred from the hotel, BUT this is one name and person any tourist to Tobago should avoid! He rips off tourists and his fellow tobagans from stealing there taxi services and charging well above the odds, if he offers to take you to sunday school (a must) go with a local taxi driver TT150 Frankie Leander TT400!! Do not trust this man, steer well clear when you see him. There are many, many nice and honest tobagans that will take you all over the island and look after you, but unfortunately Frankie Leander is only looking out for himself and what he can do to take extortionate monies off unsuspecting visitors - BE WARNED !!When I finally resolve my issues, with Frankie Leander, the Police and the TTII I will keep you informed - Be aware of this name please, he sells a good story but you must be wise to him. I cannot stress how much you should not use him - Frankie Leander !

• Stayed: September 2005
1  Thank Lin3435
Reviewed October 17, 2005

Reading previous reviews we were concerned about what our hotel would be like. We spent 2 weeks at the tropikist and were very pleasantly surprised. Staff were very friendly and helpful, food was generally good bit repetative regarding lunch menu. We would definitly go back there again

7  Thank tudorpark
Trinidad, Caribbean W.I.
Reviewed August 29, 2005

I stayed at the hotel with my sister and husband for the Jazz Festaival. My first impression at the check-in counter was the staff ignoring another guest who had a problem with the door in his room. When I got to my room, the bathroom door was not closing and the a/c unit was not working. We had to beg for towels-staff would collect the dirty towels and not replace them.And there was a large cockroach in my room. If we were not early birds for breakfast, we would have gotten whatever was leftover since the staff were not replinishing the food.

The worse part of our stay was the staff's attitude. They were rude to say the least. The hotel has a nice layout and scenery but I will never stay there again.

• Stayed: August 2005
London
Reviewed June 28, 2005

With the mixed opinions of the Tropikist hotel, my boyfriend and I decided to see for ourselves on our three day trip. The food lacked variety; the room wasn't very clean (towels really are as old as some of the reviews say!). The staff was very unhelpful. The hotel itself has a lot of potential (the pool is fabulous). I think the key thing is lack of good management. The manager just seemed to be all about jokes and chats. I think Tropikist should locate a manager who, yes does enjoy his/her job, but more importantly focuses on bringing the hotel to a higher standard (cleanliness, menu variety, motivating the staff etc.). After all, without good management the hotel can’t run itself!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Crown Point
Mount Irvine Bay Resort
Mount Irvine Bay Resort
#1 of 1 in Mount Irvine
Le Grand Courlan Spa Resort

Been to Tropikist Beach Hotel & Resort? Share your experiences!