“Neutral opinion”

Tropikist Beach Hotel & Resort
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Crown Point
Reviewed November 15, 2013

The location was good enough to walk to the beach but there is nothing much going on here. You will need to rent a car to be able to get around if you want to do more activities other than just the beach.

The pina coladas were great and the hotel was clean and right on the beach (although not a part of the beach you could use) But still, waking up to the morning and looking out at the beach on the balcony was good.

The food is not that great. I would recommend perhaps eating elsewhere. The staff seemed nonchalant at most times and I can not really comment on them because they did not have much interaction with us. Convenient nice play pool in front. They also have a bigger pool if you want to do laps etc

Room Tip: Request a room with a balcony facing the beach. Great view to wake up to.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Tropikist Beach Hotel & Resort

Reviewed November 7, 2013

Just got back after a lovely week at Tropikist.
Made special by Linda and Junior, Jerimiah, Gary and Merlin, the staff who so looked after us.
Concur with previous comments regarding TLC, but we felt the service, weather and price compensated for this.
We will be going back.
Jen and Larry, UK

• Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank jennyh19
Reviewed October 12, 2013

Good afternoon all!
Haven't been in Tobago in many moons so I decided to go & try the Tropikist Hotel. I had a look at reviews & there was nothing to jump over the moon about but I wanted to give it a try since I got a reasonable deal.
First of all this is not a 5-star hotel in anyway so do not have any expectations of such.
Overall, this is a 3-star for the most. I think all because of the staff :)
Stayed for a week at this Hotel and I must say that it was an ok place to stay. The rooms needs a facelift for sure. Rooms were clean but the bathroom was shabby. Needed a lot of work in there. And the bar had no top shelf or premium drinks.
We only had brekky which happened to be quite tasty & enjoyable with the beach in the background.
OK! so we tried dessert & coffee one evening & that was a disaster. The cheesecake that I ordered was frozen solid. I saw icicles on the strawberry topping. I told the waitress who was nice about it & offered to thaw it out. OK! I didn't catch the concept of that so I paid for what I had and left.

Its an easy 5-7 min walk to access the main area where you can get food & transport & Store Bay beach (lovely) and the airport is also a stone's throw away.
Ocean to the back of the hotel. But its a reef so no bathing in there but Store Bay is about a 7 min walk from the Hotel.

We hired a private taxi who also did tours of the Island for our tour & we customized our day. He took us to Jemma's Restaurant for lunch. The food was unbelievable!

Hotel in need of some TLC but not a bad experience for me.

Enjoy if you decide to go!!

Cheers!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank kimmykim12
Reviewed October 10, 2013

My family, friends and I (15 persons) went on our little time off vacation at Tropikist hotel, This would of been our forth time to this place and our last time, Our rooms were clear and comfortable, the ambience were great, however the food is very poor, the bar lack drinks (thank god for Gary's great service) and not to mention the staff that serve our dinner (exception of Linda) they lack customer service really bad. On one of our night we were served our dinner however there were no cutlery on our table, we had to wait at least 15mins after constant reminders to our server to get a fork (not sure how they wanted us to eat our dinner).Other members of our group had to wait more than 30mins for someone to take their order (not busy). No one seems to be interested or concern about you that night. What makes things worse is at breakfast it had roaches under the teacup, I was disgust and cannot eat.That said night at dinner there was roaches crawling all over the wall. This place need to be closed it not for people to vacation. No manage on duty.....Poor, poor, poor.
Please stop thinking of making money only, people pay for a vacation not an experience of the dump yard. (All inclusive package not worth it)

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
9  Thank Neisha S
Reviewed October 8, 2013

This probably would be rated three were it not for the exceptional staff. As previously advised, this hotel could do with a bit of TLC. It was great to be upgraded to an Ocean View room on the second floor so perhaps it is a bit churlish to complain about the safety barrier on the balcony being in a state of decay with a large nail; sticking out. Ditto, the water in the bathroom just stopping for a few minutes a couple of times. The breakfast was goodish, with a nice egg man who appeared to be quite happy doing a boring job. I am not quite sure whether some of the other ingredients were very fresh and the jams were little more than sugar water. At least they had Nescafe! We were on a B&B basis but still had a few lunches. They were awful. My salmon was grey and tasted like economy fish fingers. The chicken was like a McDonald's Nugget. Best to go to Sypps (next door) or wander further afield.
Whilst trying to get something edible after dark I came across a Rasta (with his Ali G lookalikes posse) in the local park who was happy to give me a cheery "white filth...the black man rule this planet". The next time he promised to "cut (my) throat" with nice hand gestures in case I did not understand. No doubt there are duckheads like him throughout the world, including London, but hassling every white person in a tourist area is a bit strange. Still, when he is in some overcrowded cancer ward with his fellow sociopaths he will have something else to grumble about! The chicken/Pizza takeaway on the other side of the parks also hate whiteys. Half an hour wait for food which then comes with bits missing because they "have run out". No chance of a refund though!
They were the only nasty people that we came across all holiday. I am not sure how Tropikist get such good staff, but if we do return it is because of them. My other half hurt her calf on the flight over. Christina, the first receptionist, kindly arranged for her husband to drop me off at the pharmacy. All the other staff were really efficient and looked like they were overjoyed to be serving us. The cleaners were reliable, and if we needed anything it would be brought up within a few minutes. My wi-fi worked everywhere except the reception. There were no real problems, and Tropikist's prices are very cheap. Perhaps they could charge a few more dollars and make everything excellent.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Bis+Chris
Reviewed September 18, 2013

Im a young adult who like exploring my country so I took a mini vacation to Tropikist which was also recommended to me...On arrival, i met the receptionist and she was very professional. Check in time was at 3 pm and we arrived at 12pm but they accommodated us as I inform them when i booked my room . The ambience of the hotel is beautiful and my room view was wonderful...nevertheless my room...I booked a superior room and it was disappointing....the bed spread was dirty as it was stain with something red on it and omg the tv was already small but no tv control. ...that was a turn off...didnt let the room get to me as my day was spent in the pool...breakfast time...as we sat having our morning meals a bird decided to fly in the room and landed above us and let out his waste...it fell right in the middle of my friend plate. ..I was disappointed but couldn't help but lol...last as I told myself bye bye to the hotel rain was pouring heavily the morning....no shelter or cover for the third floor but we were already late and couldn't wait so we took the room towels and cover our heads ..wet tiles and slipper don't work. ..after reaching the second floor I was thankful for the fall above suddenly I fell straight down 2nd floor to hakf if ground floor stairs...EMBARRASS but it was the quickest I get up. ..Thank God it was after 5...after that incident, I vow never to return...

• Stayed: September 2013
3  Thank fawnesolo
Reviewed September 14, 2013

We have just got back from Tobago and wanted to say thank you to all the lovely staff at the Tropikist, especially the girls at breakfast, Gary for his cocktails, including mango daiquiri and the Hulk and lovely Anderson for looking after us so well. Yes the hotel is in need of some modernisation but the location is great, the breakfasts are so wholesome that we tended to not to eat until the evening and we walked it from and to the airport within 5 mins. The rooms are cleaned daily and the grounds are lovely. We met a lot of people from Trinidad in the hotel and made quite a few friends from the UK that were on the Monarch Gatwick flight. We had amazing times at Sunday school, even though we did have a little bit too much of the rum punch lol and we went on Daryl's amazing boat trip on the Tuesday before we came home, see his facebook page - Daryls Tours Tobago - our fotos are on there. You can find Daryl either on Store Bay Beach or Pigeon Point Beach - which is absolutely fantastic and well worth the 15-20 minute walk from the Tropikist and the $20 fee (£2). I would love to visit here again as one week just wasn't enough. Anderson we would like to apologise for not saying goodbye properly but thanks to all for such a memorable holiday - Cheryl and Eileen

Room Tip: Golden Holidays (UK) get a good deal with the Tropikist and get a superior room upgrade. We stayed i...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
Grafton Beach Resort
Grafton Beach Resort
#2 of 2 in Black Rock
Le Grand Courlan Spa Resort

Been to Tropikist Beach Hotel & Resort? Share your experiences!