“I WILL COME AGAIN.”

Tropikist Beach Hotel & Resort
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Crown Point
Reviewed August 21, 2013

I have just had a second experience at Tropikist Beach Hotel & Resort. I stayed in Room # 56 between Monday 12th August, 2013 thru Thursday 15th August,2013 . My wife, two sons (ages 10 Yrs & 15 Yrs) and myself. We had a wonderful experience in July, 2011 and decided to return for a number of reasons. The pool is #1. The breakfast is # 2 and as 15 Yr old and myself are plane spotters, this location on the approach end of runway 11 at ANR Robinson International Airport was ideal. That was # 3 and I would say the dinner was # 4. The staff at this hotel is it's greatest asset overall. I have to mention Gary, the barman who made sure that the guest in the pool were all provided with drinks in quick time.He was extreamly efficient and all the guess enjoyed his friendly personality. I would recommend more variety with the dinner and the desert (which was always one flavor of ice cream or cake). Also have more friendly childeren meals on the menu. I would choose this hotel again with what I think is one of the best pools in Tobago.

Room Tip: With small children or under fit people choose a ground floor room.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank Marcellino DD D

Reviewed August 19, 2013

The Tropikist caught our eyes as a possible hotel when we were aiming to return to Tobago for a brief holiday. Having read several older reviews I almost discounted it until with a bit of reseach I discovered that it had been under new management and seemed to be getting better with more recent reviews hinting at better things. We decided to take a risk and am really glad we did.
Yes, some of the grounds show the need for renovation and there are some niggles but overall we loved the place and have already decided to go back next year!

I have a short list of things that are important to me on holiday and near the top of that list is the nature of the staff and the general atmosphere of a place. Tropikist had this nailed as the new manager (Anderson) has a great 'can do attitude' is a good leader of his team and is not adverse to getting his sleeves rolled up and helping his staff when an extra pair of hands are needed. Any holiday place can have the odd issue or problem to resolve but for me it is not the problem that is important but how it is resolved and the efforts that are made. The staff at this hotel were always cheerful, keen to help and very friendly which helped to make this one of the most enjoyable holidays my wife and I have ever had.

I got the impression that the hotel is working very hard to become the No.1 in the area and if they carry on the improvements and effort clearly made over the last 6 months then they will do it I am sure. They had a touch act to follow with us as the last visit we had to Tobago we stayed at the Turtle beach which cost us a lot more and when I analyse what Tobago has to offer and the differences between the two hotels then, for us, the Tropikist delivered well in comparison.

Thank you Anderson and your lovely team for giving us a lovely holiday that really was very memorable for all the right reasons ;-) We will return!

Negatives
The food could be a little more creative for sure but I like my food and the quality of what we ate was actually very good and nearly always tasty. We were AI so it was nice not to worry about growing bar bills or lots of extras building up over the week.
Its a shame that you cant really swim from the beach due to the rocky nature (but there is a sandy beach). This is something I think they could fix but it would need some investment. There are very nice beaches a short walk away so it really was not a big deal for us.
Some of the room fittings were tired but I understand that they have a refurb plan in place to upgrade all the rooms eventually and again, it didnt spoil our holiday the rooms were always clean and the beds comfy.

There was not a lot to do (no water sports for example) BUT again all available a short distance away.

Pluses
It was really nice to not have a continuous stream of beach sellers bothering us like they do at Turtle beach. This can get quite annoying and even a little intimidating sometimes (see my review of Turtle beach).
Friendly staff, a really good feeling that we were safe and did not have to worry about security for our belongings.
Rooms were a good size too and the views stunning!

Other comments
I would like to see a bit more fish on the menu and a better selection of fresh fruit for breakfast (Turtle beach and even a B&B some people we met stayed at had a much better choice, and when you are on a tropical island you do not expect to be short of fruit choice ;-) The breakfast did get better and better over the week while we were there and by the end there was a great selection of cooked breakfast including eggs done to your liking (lovely omelettes) and some bacon too.

Room Tip: 2nd floor rooms looked better I think
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank daFooddude
Reviewed August 17, 2013 via mobile

Myself & my Danish partner & all our kids aged 13, 11, 10 & 7 stayed at tropikist from 3 July for 2 weeks & had the most relaxing enjoyable holiday. The bad reviews have prompted me to respond, it's very unfair & can't believe the things people find to complain about. Yes the rooms are basic & in need of some TLC but if you pay for 3 star don't expect 5 star. Don't see why a room not being ready is a problem, whats the hurry, its Tobago & your on holiday, we left our cases & waited at the pool & relaxed with a drink at the bar. We stayed all inclusive & I can understand why you get a wrist band to differentiate between B&B, HB or AI, it's not a problem & makes life easier. Pool towels were always available & you are given a pool card to exchange the towels, not a problem.

Drinks were not limited, we could have anything we wanted, even the kids had Garry the barman making up special blue, green or red drinks, they loved it. The cocktails were fab & the service was first class & friendly.

The food on offer was great but I would say in its in need of a bit more choice & variety & a kids menu would have been a good option to have, but again this wasn't a problem as the kids were keen to try the local dishes.

At breakfast the choice was plentiful & the chef was always very helpful & would make special omelettes for the kids & nothing was too much trouble, his english wasnt the best so maybe thats why a previous review said he looked grumpy, i can assure you our experience this was not the case. we arrived late one morning as we thought breakfast was available until 10.30 but it finished at 10am & they were clearing it away, we said we would go somewhere to have breakfast but the staff very kindly set a table & let us have breakfast & couldn't do enough to assist.

Can't believe some of the not so good reviews about this hotel, it all depends on the individual & what you expect, you get out of it what you put in to it!!! I've never met such friendlier people than the staff at the hotel & tobago in general, yes it's very laid back & things don't get done in a hurry but we found it all very amusing & the lifestyle is so relaxed. Our rooms were cleaned daily & always had clean towels.

Overall we had a fantastic holiday & yes we would go back. Just to point out also, wifi I believe is now available throughout the hotel, it was getting connected the day we checked out. The rooms are basic, the food is great but lacks variety, these are just minor complaints but the friendly staff, tropical views, yummy cocktails, tropical sunshine made it such a relaxing enjoyable holiday for all of us.

• Stayed: July 2013
8  Thank Janecal
Reviewed August 6, 2013

We took our mum there for her birthday from July 31 to Aug 4 2013. A family of 6 stayed at the hotel in 2 rooms, one on the ground floor and the other on the first floor in the same building. We arrived at the hotel at 4:15 pm, check in at the front desk, the staff was pleasant. However we had to wait for our rooms. Mind you that rooms should have been cleaned and ready for us because hotel check in is 3 pm. I took a breakfast package and the rest took all inclusive. At the front desk, firstly we got tagged, yes tagged, with wrist bands with specific colours and secondly we were given 5 4" x 6" laminated beach towel cards to collect pool towels. Off course, the front desk made sure and stressed that if lost, a US $50 fee is required for replacement, how absurd. We decided not the take this RISK and collect pool towels right away. There weren't any at the time but the hotel's intern(Vanessa) kept 5 for us upon our return to the front desk.
Whilst waiting, we went for a complimentary drink at the bar. Our rooms were average looking but alright. The room on the ground floor had 2 double beds, and the second had one king size bed. There was only one towel in the first room and no remote control for the TV. The other room was fine.

So we got settled in and proceeded to explore the hotel's facilities. I must say it is nice. The primary pool is the primary attraction. It has a tropical feeling to it, shallow area for the kids to play, swim-up bar, waterfall feature and curvy shaped. It in centre of the pool there were plants. So regular cleaning of fallen leaves were required. There is another pool close the breakfast area that was rectangular in shape. A Jacuzzi, secretly located for privacy. A terrace, overlooking the Caribbean Sea, jetty with a shed, which you can walk out onto. There is a little beach area with sand but you can't bathe because of rocks in the water.

We had a blast in the pool. The drinks menus was limited to say the least. All inclusive drinks were to the extent of local drinks ONLY, which included puncheon, white oak, black label, carib, stag, that's all. I am no big drinker but the drinks list was disappointing. The first night we went for dinner around 7pm. Dinner is served from 6 pm to 9 pm. We had the most wonderful waitress, Daniel. She was so pleasant, had a beautiful smile and always met our requests. She took our order and we waited for 15 minutes to get food. Okay, first night, not busy, I wonder when it get busy how long it would take. Time for dessert, all the cheese cake ran out. ONLY ice cream we got. Mind you, this was a Wednesday, restaurant was not even full far less for the hotel.

Thursday we have breakfast, which was good. Buffet had a wide variety of food and again the staff was pleasant, EXCEPT for the old guy who what preparing the omelet. It looked like somebody pissed him off or probably got up on the wrong side of the bed. We spent the entire day at the pool. Lots of fun!

I had been to an all inclusive resort before and my impression and expectation of an all inclusive is unlimited food and drinks. So when I had dinner the first night, ordering food from a menu was strange, I am thinking it would be like breakfast, a buffet. Time for lunch, the next day, Thursday, we waited for an hour to get food. Staff was pleasant though. Friday at lunch was the worst, we decided to be the first to order food, yes order food for an all inclusive. No one was there to take our order. We were at the pool and we couldn't be seat at the restaurant wet and we didn't wanted to change our clothes just for lunch, so we would order and eat on the terrace. 12 pm reach, no one to take our order, 12:30pm, still no one, so I went and complained at the front desk. I am flabbergasted, how can you advertise all inclusive and no food in there at the stipulate times for meals. The waitress came and told us that NO ONE was seated at the restaurant so NO FOOD was prepared, prepared I say. Mind you thanks the the bartender then (Barry...good service) couldn't understand why the food was taking so long. Also not until after our order was taken, then they went and started preparing food. RIDICULOUS!. Dinner again was the same. waited long and ONLY ice cream for dessert.

It seemed as though luck was against us. The Saturday night we went for dinner promptly at 6pm. Seeing that is was 7 of us now, all the big tables were reserved. What-the-hell, we didn't know we could have reserved a table, nor was it mentioned to us.

I will like to thank Daniel, the waitress for organising us even assisting us to our rooms with the food because the children were cranky and sleepy.

Apart from the waiting the food tasted excellent. Though they should change their advertisement from All Inclusive to Full Board with drinks. All in all I would recommend a bed and breakfast not all inclusive. First time in Tobago and every single staff member was pleasant to me and my family. Thanks to Mr Anderson for assisting in getting stand-by tickets for my family because we wanted to stay longer.Special mention to Daniel, Barry, Dianne the staff members that made our stay great.

Room Tip: "Don't take all inclusive package take Bed & Breakfast"
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
6  Thank Richard R
Reviewed August 1, 2013

Our Family of 5 stayed at this hotel for 5 days, the rooms were average but the service was the best, the staff made you feel welcome. The food was delicious but the menu was basically the same everyday, that could be improved. The pool was lovely, the children played in there for hours while i sat at the swim up bar relaxing. We did have a few problems with room service they came really late on one day and didn't even change our towels and just didn't bother to clean our room the day after.
Overall my children enjoyed the trip so i was satisfied, but they could use a little improvement.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Imtiaz M
Reviewed July 28, 2013

Our hol was from 3rd to 10th July 2013.
Pools - While the pool with swim up bar was super the lap pool needed some care and attention (floor lining was going).
Accomodation - Our room was lovely with regards to its situation. It had a large balcony with fully opening patio doors, overlooking the ocean, really relaxing and beautiful.
Comfort - Some of the decor was tired and there was the odd missing cupboard or drawer handle, but nothing too horrendous. The bed was really comfy as was the air con.
Cleanliness - Our cleaner was great and generally did a good job but she (and some of her colleagues) did sometimes forget a little bit here and there. This was probably due to the bad management of the head of cleaning. I reckon the cleanliness would be top notch if the staff were not so overworked.
Friendliness - Just can't praise all the staff enough. We really felt cared for and at home.
Attentivenes - We got just about whatever we asked for, including fresh lemons! nothing seemed too much bother.
Food - a bit samy with regards to flavour but more than adequate if you are not looking for gourmet meals.
Restaurant/bar - very nice atmosphere, next to the ocean and pool. Knew you were in the Caribbean!
Management - really looking to improve things even further so is very attentive. The manager realy listens if you have any suggestions, which I imagine are getting less and less as this hotel gradually improves with each review I have read.
Overall, the deal we got with Golden Holidays was very good value.

Room Tip: Request an ocean view room. You will face away from the pool area and bar which might be a little n...
Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
6  Thank Jules S
Reviewed July 26, 2013

I, along with 6 other members of my family booked for 2 nights stay at Tropikist in July of 2013. Our stay was beyond terrible. So much so that we stayed one night and asked for a refund for the other night and transferred to another hotel. To sum it up a living cockroach was found in one room, the door knobs were flimsy and one family got locked into their room, the lights in the room wasn't working and hotel staff had to be notified twice over a period of time before anything was done, there was no water in the bathroom to shower which resulted in my family and I waiting for over an hour in wet bathing suits as we had just come out of the outdoor Jacuzzi. Eventually 3 of us took showers using a cup before the water problems were fixed and the batteries in both TV remotes were dead. There was also a limited selection of food for my vegetarian family members and no dessert (not even fruit) at dinner which was included in the cost of our stay. The food was overall bland. When we brought our many concerns to the night manager she and another staff member seemed entertained and smiled as we voiced our concerns. We then spent over an hour being showed more rooms that we could transfer to, all of which were of the same quality, and after nearly two hours we finally convinced the manager to refund us so that we could check out. Never have I had a worse experience in Tobago, even in standard apartments I received better service. I would never recommend Tropikist as a hotel to stay at. The only thing that we enjoyed was the outdoor Jacuzzi. For this same price we were able to enjoy the luxuries available at Magdalena Grand which certainly did not disappoint.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Grafton Beach Resort
Grafton Beach Resort
#2 of 2 in Black Rock
Le Grand Courlan Spa Resort

Been to Tropikist Beach Hotel & Resort? Share your experiences!