First of all I would like to say that we read some of the most recent reviews (all of which were negative) of this hotel and unfortunately disregarded them as we went on the advise of a friend. Also we have stayed at other hotels which had received negative reviews and ignored them and were pleased with our experiences. This was not to be the case with this hotel.
My husband, son and I booked an all-inclusive plan which by the way is a joke, because you have no say in what you eat for lunch/dinner. Breakfast is the only buffet service offered. There were so many restrictions to the plan itself that we wondered why we even took it in the first place. Dinner is always plated and you can't ask for seconds, lunch is always fast food selections and only a few at that. So much so that we kept ordering the same thing for lunch every day. We satyed for five days.
Staff seemed more interested in chatting in the corner and then quickly whisking your plate away as soon as you take your last bite. It was quite unnerving to be asked every minute are you done?
Our booking was made over the phone, and after having let the receptionist know that we were travelling with a toddler, we were quite surprised on arrival to find that we were on the 2nd floor of the hotel and with no porter service had to tote our three suitcases and hand luggage up three flights of stairs, all the while trying to make sure our toddler did not roll down same.
To be quite honest the grounds are lovely, the pool is fantastic, the views from the rooms are breathtaking, unfortunately that is where the romance ends. The service (or lack thereof) is horrible, the food (I cook better than the chef) is lacklustre at best, and the drinks I swear were watered down.
I will try to keep this short because we really are echoing just about every negative review this hotel received.
1. Service with a smile is non exsistent
2. Bar staff always missing in action (except this one particular bartender, it was a shame we did not get his name, was qute pleasant and eager to please)
3. Food is horrid, no variety, no taste (please know the menu descriptions are out of this world until the food reaches you.)
4. Breakfast is okay if you enjoy having black birds eating right along with you. I mean one in partiular landed on my glass and was happily drinking my orange juice. We are not finiky people in any way and we expect that with tropical vegetation there are bound to be some uninvited guests. What unnerved us was the staff's complete non chalant attitude by doing nothing to discourage them.
5. Shower did not work properly water was gushing out of the wall (i'm not joking). Needless to say the plumber arrived promptly when were checking out to fix same.
6. Servicemen seem to think it is their right to just enter your room to fix any complaints, thank goodness we had the chain on our door the whole time.
7. Maid service is terrible, the sheets were clean I suppose, but our bathtub was never cleaned.
I could go on for days, but to keep this short, just don't come here.
The only highlight of this trip was the sun, the pool, the great guests we met and watching our son have a fantastic time in the water. The sad thing is this property has such great potential with location, scenery and vegetation. Management needs to seriously look into running this place better. For those persons who think that we expected five star quality for three star price they are very wrong. All we wanted and needed was a comfortable room, decent food, and a friendly smile now and then.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Medium grade hotel facing Store Bay at Crown Point close to the airport and local restaurants. 54 bedrooms - large with twin or king size beds, patio or balcony, cable TV, air-con, mini fridge, en-suite bathroom. Superior and deluxe rooms larger with guaranteed sea views. Bayside restaurant for breakfast, Sunset Bar & Grill for lunches and dinner. Set in tropical gardens with 2 pools, open air jacuzzi overlooking the sea. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Priceline, Travelocity, HotelQuickly, Hotels.com, getaroom.com, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, Evoline ltd and Cancelon so you can book your Tropikist Beach Hotel & Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Tropikist Beach Hotel Crown Point
- Tropikist Beach Hotel And Resort
- Hotel Tropikist Beach
- Tropikist Hotel Tobago
- Tropikist Beach Hotel Tobago
- Tropikist Tobago
- Tropikist Beach Hotel & Resort Tobago/Crown Point