“Please Please DON'T Go!!!!!!!”

Tropikist Beach Hotel & Resort
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Crown Point
Trinidad, West Indies
“Please Please DON'T Go!!!!!!!”
Reviewed March 19, 2011

First of all I would like to say that we read some of the most recent reviews (all of which were negative) of this hotel and unfortunately disregarded them as we went on the advise of a friend. Also we have stayed at other hotels which had received negative reviews and ignored them and were pleased with our experiences. This was not to be the case with this hotel.

My husband, son and I booked an all-inclusive plan which by the way is a joke, because you have no say in what you eat for lunch/dinner. Breakfast is the only buffet service offered. There were so many restrictions to the plan itself that we wondered why we even took it in the first place. Dinner is always plated and you can't ask for seconds, lunch is always fast food selections and only a few at that. So much so that we kept ordering the same thing for lunch every day. We satyed for five days.

Staff seemed more interested in chatting in the corner and then quickly whisking your plate away as soon as you take your last bite. It was quite unnerving to be asked every minute are you done?

Our booking was made over the phone, and after having let the receptionist know that we were travelling with a toddler, we were quite surprised on arrival to find that we were on the 2nd floor of the hotel and with no porter service had to tote our three suitcases and hand luggage up three flights of stairs, all the while trying to make sure our toddler did not roll down same.

To be quite honest the grounds are lovely, the pool is fantastic, the views from the rooms are breathtaking, unfortunately that is where the romance ends. The service (or lack thereof) is horrible, the food (I cook better than the chef) is lacklustre at best, and the drinks I swear were watered down.

I will try to keep this short because we really are echoing just about every negative review this hotel received.

1. Service with a smile is non exsistent
2. Bar staff always missing in action (except this one particular bartender, it was a shame we did not get his name, was qute pleasant and eager to please)
3. Food is horrid, no variety, no taste (please know the menu descriptions are out of this world until the food reaches you.)
4. Breakfast is okay if you enjoy having black birds eating right along with you. I mean one in partiular landed on my glass and was happily drinking my orange juice. We are not finiky people in any way and we expect that with tropical vegetation there are bound to be some uninvited guests. What unnerved us was the staff's complete non chalant attitude by doing nothing to discourage them.
5. Shower did not work properly water was gushing out of the wall (i'm not joking). Needless to say the plumber arrived promptly when were checking out to fix same.
6. Servicemen seem to think it is their right to just enter your room to fix any complaints, thank goodness we had the chain on our door the whole time.
7. Maid service is terrible, the sheets were clean I suppose, but our bathtub was never cleaned.

I could go on for days, but to keep this short, just don't come here.

The only highlight of this trip was the sun, the pool, the great guests we met and watching our son have a fantastic time in the water. The sad thing is this property has such great potential with location, scenery and vegetation. Management needs to seriously look into running this place better. For those persons who think that we expected five star quality for three star price they are very wrong. All we wanted and needed was a comfortable room, decent food, and a friendly smile now and then.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank BuunySmoochesJune17

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (208)
Trinidad
Reviewed March 15, 2011

Went with my wife after seeing the pics online and the rates. It is a beautiful hotel unfortunately poorly managed, terribly staffed and no idea whatsoever about customer service, morals, honesty or etiquette.

1. Shower was tiny - I literally could not fit in it facing the shower. I had to shower sideways the entire time. Yes I know it's funny. lol
2. The glass in the room had lipstick on it.
3.Staff changed towels daily on time at 11am. However you still had to beg for a fresh towel at 1pm. Also when you asked for the new towel you were looked at as though it was a major task and you were asking for a favor.
4. The food was horrible. We took an all inclusive package. The first day the breakfast was great. The second day I am almost certain it was leftovers with a few new items. My wife got instant food poisoning. The dinner was horrible and I immediately had my package changed to breakfast only. (I changed on the first day of dinner not knowing that breakfast the next day would be that bad).
5. For the refund, luckily we are Trinidadians because I had to go to the head office in Trinidad for the cheque. HA
6. The best of all. LITERAL ROBBERY - On the first night when we went to the HOTEL's restaurant for dinner, we came right back to the room and the next morning went to breakfast in the hotel and back again. Then we realised ALL of my wife's money in her purse was GONE. My wallet luckily had none as I use my card for everything. We reported it at once as only a staff member could have taken it as the room was locked. The manager reassured us that she was not admitting liability but would refund the cash. This was a petty opportunistic thief as my laptop and digital camera was left in the open untouched. A real thief would have taken everything, this is my reason for believing it was a staff member. Mind you the next morning bright and early at 7am I was awoken by the loud sound of gossip in the hallway outside our door where all the staff were talking loudly about how our room and another set of guests were robbed and the manager didn't want us to meet up to exchange stories lol.
7. ROBBERY ALMOST? - Also at 6AM the very first morning, before we realised we were robbed (or probably before it happened) somone opened the door. Yes opened the door. Luckily we chained it so it swung back closed and I jumped up. I thought it was the maid service but no one answered when I called out. HMMMMMM. The manager replied that he (yes a different one) had problems with house keeping trying to finish work early to leave. WHAT? House keeping knocks, they don't fling doors open.
8. After returning to Trinidad a co-worker of mind went to Tropikist a few weeks later and the exact "money missing" incident happened to her.

The hotel is beautiful and with the right management can be one of the best in Tobago. But as it is right now, I will tell everyone I ever meet NEVER to go to Tropikist.

FS

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Trini_Victim

Travelers are raving about these Crown Point hotels

San Juan
Reviewed March 10, 2011

Firstly, I must congratulate the female waitresses and kitchen staff on a satisfactory attempt on demonstrating a good customer experience. It was not upto international standard but very casual and unprofessional at times.
One of the main incentives when on a vacation is the fact that you don't have to cook, but sit in a restaurant and order the meal of your choice not the meal which is available.
On my first day when I arrived, I enquired about lunch, they mentioned, dhal, rice & curry chicken. Hey, I left all that only to come on a vacation and told that is what the guests asked for, so that is what the chef cooked. So who am I? Aren't I a guest aswel? Later on the evening, I asked about dinner, only to be told by the kitchen staff they are now trying to put something together. When I confronted the front desk, she said they are not sure yet. This is about 6.00pm. Every other day, dinner and lunch was not optional. Even if they sent you a menu, all that was o the menu was not even available.
I asked for LIGHT BEER from the bar staff and at no time, they had any available. Imagine carib light which is the main native brand, not available. There were other drinks I requested which was also not available but it is to many to name. I traveled with my 18 month old baby, who had to endure the scent of insecticide due to roaches in the room. I had to go down to a guy to ask him if he can assist, he just provided me with a can. No assistance. He even mentioned to me, that management should ensure every room is equipped with a can (that tells me they are aware of the situation).
The should also ensure at breakfast time, the black birds which pester patrons are controlled. You can't leave your table otherwise they will invade your meal and juice. Yes, i saw a black bird drinking from my glass. The hotel room is cosy but my television stations were not clear so watching television was just a waste of time. They also need to check the light fixtures over the bed.
This hotel has alot of potential, a prime spot, very nice facilities and view. I just need proper management and staff needs to be trained.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
Chesham, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 3, 2011

We planned this trip for our Anniversary and Valentine's Day. On arrival we were greeted by a friendly member of staff on reception who then let us find our way to our room and carry our own bags upstairs after a 12 hour trip from London.
The room was pleasant and the views were stunning & quietly situated. We had no safe key so that was the first complaint. Next day, give reception staff their due, they arranged for a complete new safe to be fitted. However this was not consistent after talking to other guests as there seemed to be no keys for any of the safes in the sea view rooms.
Our 2nd complaint was the lack of menu variety. Breakfast is limited and no bacon served at any time, lunch menu set and after 10days gets boring. No starters or sweet, dinner- no traditional dishes. I found a catapillar in my salad and the staff found it amusing!
Bar staff leave the bar unattended and you could be waiting for a drink for a long time as they all gather in the restaurant area and chat. No excuse when you are paying all inclusive prices!!. The staff should be jumping through hoops!! Staff are not trained to any customer service standards. We had 2 meetings with the Manager and some of the above improved but quickly fell back into normal trend when staff are not supervised or properly managed. Some of the grounds round about the beach and pool need a good clean up. It's such a shame as the hotel could be good. A lot of the reviews on here that praise the hotel and staff are from locals visiting, especially at weekends. It certainly isn't up to UK or European travellers standards.

Port of Spain, Trinidad
Reviewed February 28, 2011

First of all I must say that am glad that we did not let some of the reviews we read before our trip stop us from visiting this lovely place.
I decided to take my girlfriend to Tobago for her birthday and we had been planning a trip there for a couple of months prior to that. The bookings were made over the telephone and we opted for the all inclusive package for two nights.
When we arrived, it was (literally) a 5 minute walk from the airport and check in took all but another 5 minutes. Before you knew it, we were relaxing in the Jacuzzi and just enjoying the tropical ambience of the surrounding area. A quick shower and down for dinner. Nothing too extra ordinary, just some local food which apart from being a little cold, tasted great. The service at dinner was good, with smiling faces always willing to serve you. After a great nights sleep on a comfy queen sized bed, with proper working A/C we arose to a majestic view of the very well landscaped pool and backdrop of the ocean. breakfast was served buffet style and everything on offer was fresh and well prepared. There were a couple of disturbances for the local avian population, but nothing to spoil our wonderful day. Fresh caribbean breeze on a warm sunshiny day, could only becon us to the nearby Store Bay beach. Again, a very short walk and we were there. Back to the hotel where we had a quick rinse and we were into the pool.(Quite easily the best feature of this place) I spent (and this is no lie)....7 straight hours in the pool exiting only to releive my bladder from the multitude of cold Stag myself and new friends Lewis and Tracy consumed over the marathon session at the swim up bar.
Generally I could say that for the money we spent, we definately got value for our money !! I suspect that some of the negative comments about this place came from people who want to pay 3 star price and get 5 star quality. In my opinion, this hotel, despite needing a minor face lift, has what it takes to see us there again, with friends and family, which by the way is already being planned.

4 Thank NICK147389
Tobago
Reviewed February 27, 2011

I celebrated my engagement and my birthday at this hotel.
We could not have chosen a better place to stay.
My fiance and i were surrounded by a romantic setting and staff who showed warm and friendly faces.
The rooms were properly clean as well as the hotel facilities and surroundings.
The landscaping was simply amazing.i will like to thank the following staff for their high level of hospitality: Kylash,Cindy,Jana,Colleen,Nikki,Ram,Ms. Jay,Gary,Natasha and Chereen.
I would definitely go back for my honeymoon.
If u are looking for a nice, cosy , friendly getaway i would highly recommend tropikist hotel.

1 Thank sagram
San Fernando, Trinidad
Reviewed February 23, 2011

Friendly, Courteous & proffessional staff from reception to catering. A very relaxing and comfortable vacation. I would highly reccommend this resort to anyone where i am assuring you that it is value for money. My fiancee and i are seriously considering having our wedding there.( R. W.- 307)

Also consider these accommodations in or near Crown Point
Grafton Beach Resort
Grafton Beach Resort
#2 of 2 in Black Rock
Le Grand Courlan Spa Resort

Been to Tropikist Beach Hotel & Resort? Share your experiences!