“Average Resort with Excellent Staff”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Crown Point
Sandy Point Beach Club
Ranked #7 of 20 Crown Point B&B and Inns
Reviewed March 11, 2014

This is a great resort, it’s unfortunate that there are no other resort options under RCI in Tobago or even Trinidad so there is nothing to compare too. In the end its a standard 3 star resort in my opinion.The staff is extremely friendly, check in was fast and easy. We stayed in a 1 bedroom and it had enough beds for like 7 people. It had 1 private room with a queen bed, then a large open room with a set of bunk beds, 1 twin bed and another queen or full all in the same space. It’s very close to the airport and if you know where you are going it’s an easy walk to the resort. We felt very safe at this resort (even walking outside at night) and had no complaints or issues with our overall stay. The ground was well kept for the resorts age. The room was very spacious and the kitchen was extremely stocked with pots, pans, cups, etc. However, basic hotel items such as shampoo, conditioners, shower cap, lotions etc was not available. I also wished the patio had lounge chairs so we could have relaxed on the patio. There was a mini market you can buy such items but one would expect an RCI resort to provide these items in the room. They had a washer and dryers but they was very old and the dryer didn't dry hot so it took forever to dry my clothes. (I believe maintenance was trying to fix the dryer after we told them about the issue). There is no 24 hour front desk so after 8 or 9pm you had to speak to security which would tell you to call back in the mornings to speak to the front desk when they open (which was around 8-9am). The had a small tennis court which you had to buy your own balls (again not expecting to buy balls at an RCI resort) and basketball court (I believe they provided the ball to play). The bar was nice. It was ashamed the water was too rough to swim in it but it was nice just to relax on the beach and watch the weaves come in. They do offer a beach shuttle with very limited pick up and drop off schedule. I really wish there was more resort activities. This resort is only a short walk to local restaurants and shops. We enjoyed Chef’s and Jade. Overall, we will be back (mainly because there is no other resort) and we enjoyed our trip to Tobago.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank CeCeVacation
There are newer reviews for Sandy Point Beach Club

Reviewed March 7, 2014

This holiday overall cost me the same as staying at Turtle Bay Beach Hotel all inclusive for 14 nights, which i did a few years ago. Although shopping and cooking in, i do drink, and we needed to hire a car really to get around, shop at supermarkets, etc. Although a shuttle to all the beaches was very good it was not necessarily at particularly convenient times, ie. not independent as having a car. I would also have preferred to eat good restaurant food, but needed to keep costs down!

Some staff very good. Clifton always at the bar, and excellent, makes a mean pina colada! Acousha the manager key to getting things right. Mini mart staff on site also pleasant and helpful. Other more junior staff needed some customer relation training!

I do think families fare better on this type of holiday, and Sandy Point Beach Club accommodation quite adequate and clean. However, some aspects very tired, ie. room towels worn out, pool could do with a resurface... Entertainment quite good when it was available but sad that it was rarely supported well by residents!

On site restaurant a bit sad, but next door hotel restaurant better, charges more, and very slow, but fantastic ocean views. Get there early! Only managed a couple of salad lunches there again due to spiraling costs.

Cheaper i am sure if you are a family on a budget and all sharing small apartment!

Beaches all fantastic and on site beach not bad except you cannot swim due to coral. Beaches locally were the highlight of this holiday for me personally.

Room Tip: Stayed in 3 different types of rooms, studio for a couple of nights then upgrade to a garden one bed...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 22, 2014

Would not really recommend this place.

Positives are - great and fun bar and bartender. Make sure to attend African drum and limbo night. (But if you are in the 3 bedroom unit, don't expect to get to sleep until the bar closes). Unusual floorplans accommodate large parties. Nice hot tubs. Mini mart on the grounds has a lot of food stuffs.

Negatives are - rude staff. Made us change rooms with only 12 hours notice. With little explanation. We had to be packed and ready to go by 10 AM. (But they did move us to a nicer unit with ocean view). Grumpy staff nags about shoes left on the lanai

Room Tip: 3 bedroom unit huge but noisy - right next to bar Other units have nooks with bunk beds and can acc...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed February 10, 2014

I stayed in Sandy Point Beach club with 5 of my work colleagues for 1 night. The hotel is a good choice for a big group of persons who are on a budget. There is a nice jetty with a bench that you could relax do some introspection etc. The grounds isn't bad, you could relax on the lounge chairs , sit in the hot tub or just watch the waves on the beach.

The negative about this hotel is the service. I am a stickler for Customer Service hence these details stood out for me. The front desk is untidy and old fashion which does not give the customer a good first impression. The Customer Service representative was not rude but not entirely friendly either. If you pay your security deposit in cash, you will get it back the deposit in a cheque. So credit card is the way to go. However we got back out deposit because all 6 of us badgered the customer service rep indicating to her we are just staying overnight. Sandy Point does not have the customer best interest at heart. And this is core if you are looking for somewhere to stay.

Room Tip: The rooms close to the hot tubs are nice
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank hotfudge2013
Reviewed January 31, 2014

We enjoyed our stay here very much. It had a calm, tropical, friendly feel to it and was not that busy over the Christmas holiday. We stayed busy with things around the island and just used this as our point place to center things from. They have snorkeling gear, kayaks and fishing poles to use.....which we tried all. Next time we will remember to bring some of the resort's snorkel gear on some of the island's snorkel trip tours, as they usually did not provide fins on those. Transportation from the airport to the resort we just hopped a taxi as it took us and our belongings right there, and was inexpensive for what we accomplished - less than $10usd. For departure, we just walked to the airport after seeing the location of everything.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank outrigger22
Reviewed January 2, 2014

I was nervous setting out on this trip with my family. Reviews the prior week ranged from Paradise! to Disaster! yikes! I was prepared for the bad. 1. Your room will not be ready until 3 or 4pm so bring a bag with your beach stuff. They have a changing room and great pool and nice beach to enjoy while you wait. We napped off the red ey on a lounge chair by the pool very happily. 2. Don't rent a car. The roads are bad and if you are not British, the cars drive on the other side of the road on the other side of the car WITH NO RAILS and LOTS OF CLIFFS. No room for error. Get a driver and for about $25 hour you will enjoy your tour and see things you never would have found! 3. They take a $200 deposit at registration and it covers all kinds of stuff.They refund it at the end. 4. They only give you more towels if you ask for them..and they might not have more right away. It's like your house. Do you get fresh linens every day? Hang up your towels and use them more than once. Same with the beach towels. And be gracious if they haven't done the laundry yet. It's more like visiting friends than the staff at the Ritz Carlton, so if you approach it that way, you will have way more fun. If you are mean and grumpy, you will suffer. 5. The food everywhere is inedible, except for Patsys, which looks like a laudromat. Go at least once, by day because I'm thinking night walks outside of the resort are not a great idea. Order china doubles and you will be very psyched. Also at the Port of Spain airport, there is like a farmers market at the end of all the terminals with stands and one lady sells the most yummy doubles she makes at home. We bought 3 doubles and 4 waters for less than $5 US. Holy Moly!
6. Internet is expensive and per device. We knew this in advance so I arranged to get my work emails and calls on my husbands phone and it cost about $37 US for the week and it saved a lot of trouble. One device. AND our kids were more socialble and actually played games with us due to lack of technology.. a blessing in disguise.
Great things I did not know: 1. Our apt was spacious even though just one bedroom, it had a loft for the kids and if we had wanted a murphy bed downstairs, and it was DARK and we all slept till at least 9am every day..bizarre for a family that's hopping byt 7.. so restful! Room 206. 2. The air works GREAT, cold like a meat locker if you want it that way. 3. The grills are wonderful and they will light them and clean them up every night for you so minimum fuss. We brought seasonings with us, Monteray steak and Monteray chicken, and we got steaks from the mini mart the first night with some rice side we made YUM, mini mart chicken YUM!, we walked almost to Pigeon Pt stopping at Patsys for lunch on the way, and hung out where the fisherman bring their catch. You pay the fisherman for the fish or lobster (9 lbs of blackfin tuna for $20 with no haggle) and grill it up on the grill you reserved. This is the way to go. Only wish I had been more aggressive and gotten some lobster same day as the tuna and frozen one and ate the other cause I did not see lobster after that and it's not a fun every day thing. Jet ski guy right next to fish guy so we did that too for $25 for half hour, guess we could've haggled but why? 3. The beach very nice unless you want to swim out to sea. I didn't think it had a beach when I read the reviews. It's super nice for laying out or swimming near the shore line. Just not ocean swimming, and they have free shuttles to Irving Beach for great swimming and snorkeling and Pigeon POint which I heard was gorgeous and calm but we did nt get there. 4. Island tour with cab driver was great and economical for a family of four on Christmas day paid $25 hour and climbed Argyle Falls (addl fee) and saw almost the whole island in about 5 hours. Awesome! Don't try to drive even if you are British because you wont get to sightsee and enjoy. It's treacherous! Get a driver and don't leave the resort at night. 5. The recreation desk gives you so much free stuff: a hammock to hang in while you watch small planes land, a fishing pole and you buy bait at the mini, snorkeling gear for goodness sakes great for Irving beach, hoola hoops and sand toys , boogie boards for heavens sake, tennis rackets but you have to buy balls somewhere or bring them cause I could not find any to buy. WOW!!! 6. We left for Port of Spain early our last day so we could get a flavor of Trinidad and had a great time at Asa Wright Nature Preserve. Rainforest spectacular as was the nature like purple birds with yellow feet, giant lizards, swimming in a natural pool and access to showers before our long flight, afternoon tea too..not cheap but totally worth it, or maybe save $ and get a cab from the airport dispatch to Asa Wright. Awesome!! Great trip, great family time, totally worthwhile!

Room Tip: A one bedroom comfortably sleeps a family of 4 or 5. It's like a lilliputan house. A 2 br adds a...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank peoplesfamilytrips
Reviewed December 14, 2013

The staff was ok but honestly this trip was doomed before it started but I just didn't know it.

The Arrival:
Prior to leaving Chicago or booking the flight I emailed the Sandy Point staff to make sure that we would have transportation from the airport and that we would have access to our room. I received confirmation from both Denise and Usha (I still have the emails) that they would arrange transportation (they don't have cabs like the US) AND recommended we come in on the last flight out of Trinidad. I also went as far as calling Sandy Point several times to confirm this and received verbal confirmation that the keys would be left out and transportation would be provided to the resort.

We followed the recommendation provided by the Sandy Point staff and arrived in Tobago around 1:30AM. They HAD NOT arranged transportation for us and the airport closed after our flight arrived! So then we were two women left outside in a foreign country at 2AM. A kind young man gave us a ride to the resort but we were TURNED AWAY IN PITCH BLACK DARKNESS AND HAD TO GO BACK TO THE AIRPORT BECAUSE THAT WAS THE ONLY PLACE WE COULD STAY! She also snidely suggested we find another hotel. Please keep in mind it was closed and we were exposed to unspeakable danger!! There was a man walking across the street watching us all night and the only thing I think that kept him a bay was the overnight maintenance man at the airport. If it were not for him this may have turned out much worse.

All this is due to not only to the incompetence of the Sandy Point staff for not following through on what THEY advised by leaving the keys out and arranging transportation but also the not so intelligent security guard. I told her my name (which I later saw on the board when we finally arrived in the morning), I gave her the names of the staff that I had correspondence with but she refused to let us on the property or call a manager. The fact she refused to call a manager is unbelievable to me but.....

Our original flight was supposed to get into Tobago at 6:10AM and we still didn't get transportation then! I called security several times to ask them where the driver was. He had been there since 5:30AM looking for us with no sign! So we sat an additional 2 hours at the airport waiting for transportation and the man didn't have a sign as we were advised he would.

The Facility:
The rooms are ok, there isn't a couch but two uncomfortable chairs. The mattresses are hard as well but it could have been worse. I had to kill 2 to 3 ants on the kitchen counter everyday and there was a roach in one of the mixing bowls. The funny thing is I asked one of the maids to help me with the itemized checklist they give you upon check in. While checking the kitchen items she saw the roach but didn't think I saw it so she was going to put it back in the cupboard until I asked her to let me see it. She then says they keep spraying and spraying the place but there are still bugs! There are cracks in the upstairs floor so large you can see downstairs and there is a gap under one of the walls and you can see the light from the next unit.

The hot tub consistently had leaves in it and there is some sediment at the bottom of the pool. They need to be mindful of this.

Both vans used to transport guests to activities are in desperate need of brake jobs. When the drivers try to stop there is a loud grinding noise. While traveling several guests, including my mother, voiced concern. Also, one of the vans needs a windshield replacement due to a huge crack going straight across.

The Checkout:
You may want to get your money exchanged at the airport because the front desk tries to rip you off. Everywhere else we went had an exchange rate of $6 TT dollars to $1 US and would give you change. Not the front desk. They don't give change and if you have small bills expected you to leave them. When checking out the I had $61 they needed to refund, the girl at the counter seemed irritated that I wanted my dollar (it was the principle). The sad part is after a few minutes they gave me my change so don't let them take your money.

The last ridiculous episode was the driver came up us as we were waiting for my change and transportation to the airport and says "I have this $10(US) bill but the banks won't take it here because it is torn, can you give me two $5US and take this back to the States". The bill was counterfeit and it was obvious by looking at it!!!!!!

Long story short, do not go to this resort. I do not recommend it!!! Everyone asks me where I went and I tell them Tobago. Then they as do you recommend the resort, my response "ABSOLUTELY NOT!!!!!"

Room Tip: Find a different property to stay during your vacation.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Grafton Beach Resort
Grafton Beach Resort
#2 of 2 in Black Rock
Turtle Beach by Rex Resorts

Been to Sandy Point Beach Club? Share your experiences!