“Reputation upheld - little slice of heaven!”

Kariwak Village Holistic Haven and Hotel
Reviewed January 19, 2009

Booked with Caribtours for a good price travelling in December 2008 - No problems. I'm quite a cautious person, checking reviews and doing research before I go anywhere. The glowing reviews for Kariwak make you wonder if someone is being paid to write them! Well, Im not being paid and it was wonderful. All A grades to staff, food, rooms, atmosphere, genuine concern for guests. I am SO glad I did not succumb to the glossy adverts for the bigger hotels. The gardens are lovely and well kept. The menu is written on the bar every day so you can choose to eat there, or go out if you dont like the dishes of the day. If I absolutely have to find fault...I suppose it's those very firm beds. Didn't bother me much but husband did finally pull out the double sofa bed and we slept there for the last few nights to keep him happy. By the way, we organised our renewal of vows when we were there and booked Captain Power's boat, (yes, that IS his name), going out to Nylon pool from pidgeon point, saying our vows - just husband, me and the captain - then going snorkelling! We chugged back into the bay at sunset. Incredible. Cynthia, the hotel owner should be able to find Captain Power for you, he is apparently licenced to actually Marry you too. I had some bad blisters after hiking (through a river in a rainforest!) and Cynthia gave me a spray to keep for a few days until the blisters were healed. I really can't see that happening at a Hilton...I have never relaxed so much in a hotel and we are both determined to return to a great hotel in a useful location. It is 10 minutes walk to a small beach or about 20 minutes to Pidgeon point, although the hotel provide a free mini bus there every day. Finally, the hotels own car hire is convenient and competitivly priced. Talk to Frank. We used the car all over the island and it was kept in a very good condition. Fuel here is cheap versus UK prices. I will try to add photos of our trip at some point. I must warn you though, if you stay here, you are spoilt for life. We miss Suzettes lovely morning greetings every day. I just wish Kariwak would open a branch in Canada in time for our trip there...

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Gillypink

Reviewed November 28, 2008

What's not to love about Kariwak? I stayed here for eight wonderful days and from the moment I arrived and was greeted by Suzette I knew I'd made the right selection. Kariwak's website is well done, but being there is absolutely amazing! I will return to Kariwak over and over and over again. First off, the staff is friendly and warm and made me feel totally welcome. I loved my cabana which was clean and spacious. The grounds are so beautifully well kept and I was surrounded by birds and vegetation--truly a slice of heaven! It's a gorgeous place to be on holiday. I spent hours each day swinging in the hammocks, just lounging and being at peace. The food was amazing as I am a vegetarian and they were very accommodating. You're within walking distance of the airport and Store Bay Beach. I can't say enough about this place. I'm looking forward to returning and Kariwak is the only place I'll stay! LOVED IT!

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled solo
1  Thank rumboogie
Reviewed November 13, 2008

This is a wonderful oasis in a crowded area. Best points - the friendly and helpful staff, the excellent and reasonably priced food and drinks and the great room (we were in the garden area, where I think the rooms are bigger than those near the pool). There is also a nice area with hammocks to relax in and the biggest jacuzzi I have ever seen. It even has a waterfall going into it. You will be sharing your breakfast with the local bird population and seeing everything from (harmless) snakes to giant snails in the gardens.

All water - both in the pool and the taps - is ozone treated. This ensures that drinking water tastes good and that the pool does not smell of chlorine. There appeared to be some chemicals in the jacuzzi water though.

There are things like stretching and exercise classes most mornings. We did not manage to get to any of these.

There is aircraft noise - it is only a few metres from the side of the runway. We did not find this intrusive - mostly just the propeller driven shuttle to Trinidad. We really liked our (air-conditioned) room and its huge bed, but this is not an international business hotel - don't expect TV or little bottles of shampoo in your room.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Paul7888
Reviewed August 28, 2008

My husband and I stayed a week at Kariwak and every day was wonderful. The food in the restaurant was always so fresh. All of the staff were very friendly. Many of them learned our name and really made us feel special. The rooms were kept very clean and were the perfect size for the 2 of us. We spent this time really taking in a lot of local culture. The bar down the street from the propertity had pool tables and good company. Make sure to brach out away from the property to have a shark and bake. Watch out for the red chile sauce though...it can get pretty darn spicy! We loved this vacation so much and recommend it to anyone considering Tobago!

• Stayed: March 2004, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 15, 2008

I have sampled many other Tobago hotels, but this one is in a class by itself. I was impressed by several things. The grounds were really well manicured, no bugs or mosquitoes anywhere. I loved the smell of the local seasonings in the air. I did not see so much as a speck of dust anywhere in the room. It was spotless. I loved that the lighting was mild. Unlike some of the other guests whose reviews I read, I did not have any problems with the service. The only setback, though, was that the pool needed to be cleaned, but I did not mind at all, because the jacuzzi was great! I should mention that there is no TV in the room, but who goes on vacation to watch tv anyway??

• Stayed: March 2004, traveled as a couple
1  Thank rosebud100
Reviewed July 7, 2008

We stayed at the Kariwak for 2 weeks and highly recommend it. We had one of the garden rooms, comprising of a large bedroom with bathroom and separate toilet. It was extremely clean and the high ceiling made the room feel very airy. The AC unit worked perfectly and it was a cool retreat away from the heat. The grounds are gorgeous and peaceful, with a variety of colourful bushes and trees, and are well kept. The hammock area is a wonderful for a quiet read or snooze and the jazzuci and waterfall nearby provide a cooling dip. We attended a few of the early morning stretch / yoga classes which were a perfect way to start a day in Tobago. Breakfasts are excellent with fresh fruit, cereal and a different cooked choice each day, as well as toast and beverages. Dinners comprise homemade soup, salad, main course and a choice of desserts including the delicious banana cream pie and a selection of homemade ice-creams. The main course is a choice of 2 dishes (typically fish and meat) beautifully cooked in a variety of ways, together with local vegetables. After trying a couple of other local restaurants, we decided the food at the Kariwak was so good that we transferred to their meal plan for the 2nd week. Service is extremely friendly and we found the owners attentive. There is a complimentary service to and from Pidgeon Point beach each day and the local Store Bay beach is a short walk away. Although the Kariwak is a mere 5 minutes walk from the airport, we found the noise from planes to be minimal. The over-riding sound is that of birdsong. Overall, a beautiful haven that we would love to visit again.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Travellers21
Reviewed June 1, 2008

Just spent a fantastic relaxing week with the Kariwak 'family'. Best breakfasts ever! excellent courteous helpful good humoured staff, we will definately be returning.You know a restaurant is good when locals frequent it!.Wonderful well kept gardens. Lying in a hammock with the best peanut punch ever after returning from Pigeon Point on the courtesy bus then a dip in the pool, what could be a better way to recharge your batteries! David and Patrick

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple
#1 of 1 in Mount Irvine
Grafton Beach Resort
Grafton Beach Resort
#2 of 2 in Black Rock

Been to Kariwak Village Holistic Haven and Hotel? Share your experiences!