“Kariwak - Not that great”

Kariwak Village Holistic Haven and Hotel
Reviewed July 21, 2013

We stayed at Kariwak after many years. We were excited to be there in Tobago again and other than the location - near Store Bay, we were disappointed with Kariwak.

Where to begin? The front desk people/reception are unprofessional and grumpy - not impressed with their attitudes. A family on holiday expects people to be welcoming and happy. They were not and always busy on the phone when they have in-person guests in front on them. So that was a turn-off.

The rooms are dated and need a serious updating. Lighting is dim - and there is no tv (trying to be an oasis, but yet they have a tv room). Internet is slow and spotty, which is annoying.

We did the breakfast and must say it was delicious - food on the whole was quite good. Natalie the only waitress there always had a superb attitude (others could learn from her).

Would we stay there again - so siree bob - unless they get serious about customer service and renovate those tired rooms.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank voyagerprof
There are newer reviews for Kariwak Village Holistic Haven and Hotel

Reviewed July 17, 2013

Stayed just one night for business but so impressed by this hotel that I plan to be back before year's end with the husband.

If you are looking for serenity in a hotel, Kariwak is an excellent choice. Rooms are comfortable, spacious and clean. I was pleased to note a skylight in the bathroom, a nice selling point for those who appreciate sustainability. There's no tv and honestly, would not have even noticed if it hadn't been pointed out to me.

I also liked that the hotel offers various types of yoga.. which I also plan to take advantage of on my next visit.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank Pep77
Reviewed July 17, 2013

After my second wonderful stay at the Kariwak, I feel that this a very special gem in Tobago. It is located close the airport, but you aren't aware of planes taking off and landing. The biggest pluses I think are the excellent food that comes mostly from their gardens and prepared with great care. I was impressed that the owner was so very appreciative of my expressed enjoyment of a soup that she'd worked hard on, that someone didn't absolutely LOVE - she CARED!!!
The daily yoga classes are held in the tranquil gardens and in keeping with the overall warmth of the place, the instructors were very attentive. The staff have been nothing but pleasant and accommodating when I need to leave before the sun came up, or ran late for breakfast. Love the weekend entertainment too, and of course there is high speed internet when I needed to connect to the outside world for a minute...wonderful experience. Highly recommended place to stay!!!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 9, 2013

Even though its right next to the airport, its still pretty quiet and oh so zen. I rented a bike around the corner for TT 70 per day and explored the island from here. Also took advantage of the yoga and took all but one of my meals at the hotel, because the food was really great and much healthier than some of the other island options. There is generally a very good vibe here- it's not a 5 star resort- but it is great at what it does and very welcoming- I would definitely come back.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank rasruss
Reviewed June 4, 2013

This was a last minute decision to stay at Kariwak to celebrate my friend's birthday. This was my second time at Kariwak and it was all that I expected and more. The staff was exceptional from the time of the reservation to the end. They take care of the little things that matter, like the cleaning lady knocking on the door the morning just before checkout to ask if we needed more towels. Thoughtfulness means everything on a short memorable trip, like the happy birthday song they sang and the birthday cake. Wow! I am so pleased how well everything turned out. It was just too short. Thank you all.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank travel_trini_10
Reviewed June 3, 2013

I arrived at the airport earlier than expected and I decided to call Kariwak at about lunch time. I asked if a room would be available because I knew check in is at 3pm and to my relief I got a room earlier than 3pm. When I entered kariwak with my lady we were greeted by a friendly Host who made us fill out relevant info and she took us to our room immediately. The location is a very convenient one because of how close to the airport it is situated and also various food places..We didn't eat too much at the kariwak restaurant though because they are a bit pricey..Take a walk one evening to la cantina not too far..drink some wine and you won't regret it. Kariwak's breakfast was tasty but a little repetitive..still tasty no complaints...The surroundings were well kept with alot of birds..fishes..trees..a very secluded Jacuzzi with artificial waterfall..Beautiful place to relax by the hammocks as well and take a little stroll. Enjoyed it!!!

Room Tip: Take a pool room..It's near everything...the pool of course..the restaurant..a little walk to Ja...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Andrew B
Reviewed June 2, 2013

Myself, my sister and mum visited Kariwak for 1 night and couldn't be happier with it. It truly is holistic heaven! We stayed in one of the pool rooms and found it very cosy and clean. The garden with its hammocks is excellent, a perfect place to relax. The pool and the hidden Jacuzzi is brilliant, we had the whole Jacuzzi for ourself and could not feel more private. We had to wait for our breakfast more than 30 min but it was worth the wait - the food was amazing, so fresh and tasty. The staff was very friendly especially the manager Anna who was always there to help/advise. Shuttle buses to Pigeon Point and to the airport are great advantage although you could easily walk to both (airport 5 min, Pigeon Point 15 min). The only criticisms I could think of is that some of the ladies at reception were not able to provide us with some basic information about Kariwak's holistic treatments and the island in general and were referring us to Anna at all times. It would be nice to see them taking more interest and being more knowledgeable about the services available in the hotel + tourist information re Tobago. But overall, it was a fantastic stay, I would definitely recommend Kariwak and I would love to come back soon :)

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
#1 of 1 in Mount Irvine
Grafton Beach Resort
Grafton Beach Resort
#2 of 2 in Black Rock

Been to Kariwak Village Holistic Haven and Hotel? Share your experiences!