“Disappointed!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Crown Point
Kia's Across from The Beach
Ranked #11 of 20 Crown Point B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 9, 2012

We had booked Kia's for our vacation to Tobago based on the reviews. I figured that the reviews were basically good except for a few, my mistake. Although Karen is very sweet and kind, it would not be enough for me to ever book this place again. Let me first say the place was clean. We arrived that evening and left first thing in the morning. Upon arriving I thought the place was okay, not a 4 star place but tolerable. Well, our evening started out with bugs upon bugs coming in through the shutters that apparently do not close all the way and some of them were broken. So, my husband went and asked if they had something to put over the windows. We were given a mosquito net and sheets. We had to light mosquito coils inside the apartment and we still had tons of bugs flying in as there where more shutters that could not be covered. So right then and there we had made up our mind that we would be leaving in the morning. Well, our night got worst from there. At around 11:45 p.m. a crowd formed outside by the ATM where there is a little plaza and they were screeching their cars up and down the street as well as blasting there music as if they were in a club but an outside club. This partying went on til around 2 a.m. which of course did not allow us for much sleep. We were so frustrated and I felt that this is something that the owners would know about because you could tell that this was apparently something that is done on a regular basis, because more and more people kept pulling up and parking their cars and getting out drinking and dancing. The bed in the room was so uncomfortable as you could feel the springs on it, it reminded me of a box spring just with a little of cushion but not much because if you put your hand on the bed you could feel the springs. Oh, I almost forgot to mention that the futon is metal in the living room and it is sunken down, you can see the metal piece bent down close to the floor. Also, there is an apartment or something that is in the same facility but apparently on the other side. You could here the people's conversation, which was annoying as well. This place is not well kept and I would never ever recommend anyone take their family there as our youngest was miserable just for those hours that we stayed. Like I said Ms. Karen is very nice but if you are going to have a place like that with so much potential, take the time to fix it up and make it more comfortable for your guest. The only reason why I did not rate this place as terrible is because Ms. Karen is a nice person.

Room Tip: I only stayed in the 1 bedroom apartment so I don't know what the rooms are like but the place o...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Kimberly V

Reviewed April 22, 2012

We travelled to tobago for a family holiday with a mix of family from Trinidad and from Canada. The location was very central to the beach (not quite across, but close enough), across the way was an internet cafe, however, we learned on the second night that we had access at Kia's.
It was on the main street so lots of options for eating, including at Kia's. We are a bit old-fashioned so did our groceries and cooked up some great meals in the kitchenettes. The cupboards were a little tired and needs some freshening up, but it was stocked and if there was anything missing, a quick call to 'Karen' did the trick and she was there in a jiffy!

We had a little one in tow, so it was great that Karen personalized our experience by introducing us to the inspiration for the name...little Kia herself.

We were there for 3 nights. On the first night, our room was not available for our party of 5 plus a toddler. So we were put on the lower level in two adjoining rooms. Which suited us fine, they were a bit small but well stocked and the airconditioning worked well, so we had a good night sleep. It was a hassle to move, so we said we wouldn't mind just keeping the rooms, but that didn't seem to be an option. So Karen offered to make the move easy by having our upper level room read, stocked with what we needed (kitchen-wise) and had all of our stuff moved up while we enjoyed a day about the island.

The room upstairs was very spacious, with a wrap-around balcony which was nice. Sleeping accommodations were roomy enough for our party even though there was one bedroom...it would have been ideal if there were two bathrooms or at least a one and a half.
One of our party had to sleep on the futon, which was not comfy at all. It was worn and flat and and optimal for waking up with a back ache.

Aside from those minor details, the service was great and very welcoming.
We did have a black out while we were there, and Karen visited with candles and made sure all was fine--nice touch. All was fine, we enjoyed an hour or so on the balcony watching and listening to the street sounds and birds.

If you're not looking for luxury, but reliable, safe and welcoming service, then check out Kia's.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank jamnao
Reviewed February 29, 2012

This was my seventh visit to Tobago and my first stay at Kia's. In my view, it is important, when reviewing the experience of a traveller with accommodations, to reflect on the traveller's expectations. In my case, I was looking for simple accommodations at a modest price, a place that was central (within walking distance to most places in Crown Point), a room that was clean, comfortable (including air conditioning) and that offered the possibility of cooking simple meals, access to the internet through wi-fi, and staff who were welcoming but not intrusive. All of my expectations were met. While I agree with some of the negative comments posted by other travellers (for example, the noise level due to the proximity of the guest house to the main "drag" in Crown Point, the limited amount of appliances and cookware), the spirit of hospitality extended by Karen and her staff compensated for any shortcomings in these areas. I was also pleased with the food and service at the Garden Cafe - excellent value for money. If the opportunity presents itself, I would return to Kia's on future visits to Tobago. Thanks, Karen, and please pass on my thanks to your staff. Hello to Kia as well.

Room Tip: One bedroom apartment upstairs is much roomier than the studio and offers more extensive cooking fac...
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank JDCTobago
Reviewed September 3, 2011

My husband and i arrived on the island at 6 am got around to Kias at 7 and was in our room at 8:30am. Fantastic service, we had breakfast and it was so good! Also I loved the roosters that were strutting around!

• Stayed: September 2011
3  Thank kittendior
Reviewed July 20, 2011

We arrived at 11am and was able to get into the room at 1:30pm, in the beginning we received great treatment and friendly service, but as time went by, things got worse and worse, the kitchen in the studio we got for $80 Usd per night was very unclean and we were afraid to use any of the utensils or any of the few pots and pans. There was no light in the kitchen, there was hot water only one night, the towels were threadbare and the sheets on the bed and pull out sofa were so thin and threadbare it barely kept us warm. The mattresses were so worn and thin...wait, did I say mattresses? The bathroom was filthy and stained everywhere and we were afraid to touch anything. We left a message for Jocelyn to please clean our room and make up the beds and get us some clean towels, but she did not respond, when she saw us the next day, she had an excuse that she left her phone in her room. The restaurant is expensive and caters to European tastes. The noise from traffic was very, very loud, people be warned you will not get ANY sleep while you are there, this was Definitely the worst 2 nights we have spent in maybe 10 years of vacationing. We could not wait to leave and If you have money and time to throw away then please go to Kias!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
6  Thank Wistfultraveler1024
Reviewed July 1, 2011

Perfect location - only some minutes from Store Bay Beach and even more close to many reastaurants. We had late dinner at Kia's restaurant and it was delicious. As well as breakfast. During our stay they had some problems with water - there was no water at all. It was very uncomfortable but the owner came to us and explained the situation, also repaid us part of room rate. We had a room without air conditioner but for one night it was ok.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Gluu
Reviewed March 4, 2011

Although Tobago itself did not seem like striking location, Kia's helped to keep my memory of Tobago nice. Owner is great, staff is very helpful and Kia is adorable! Restaurant is serving some gret dishes, just had tasty lobster and home made coconut icecream - thank you Karen!
Location is good, beach is really close.
My rate for this place is excellent, only one small remark - try to get wifi to be stable in all rooms.
Thanks Kia's!