“A wonderful experience”

Bananaquit Apartments
Port of Spain, Trinidad
“A wonderful experience”
Reviewed September 4, 2014

I recently had a short stay at this establishment, and being our first time staying here I was pleasantly surprised at the level of hospitality and professionalism rendered. It is in close proximity and walking distance to the highly popular Store Bay beach, restaurants, mini marts, airport and bank. The manager Carolyn, was very friendly and was there to welcome us on arrival and took time to show us around and answer our questions. It is a small family owned and managed hotel with self contained apartments. The premises and rooms are well maintained. The grounds are beautifully landscaped and most of our meals were eaten on our private porch in this scenic and tranquil setting watching birds nesting in the trees. I prefer to cook my own meals and was pleasantly surprised to find a full sized fridge, 3 burner stove top and proper appliances, good quality dishes and adequate kitchen accessories. We booked a family studio but the manager Carolyn kindly gave us a free upgrade to a loft apartment since the previous guest staying had left a cigarette smoke stench in the room. There is a shared pool on an adjoining compound which my children thoroughly enjoyed. Check in is at the regular 2pm and check out is 11:30am, which allows you enough time to pack and sleep in a bit or as in my case, a last quick dip at the beach before leaving. We had a wonderful stay here at Bananaquit and would highly recommend it as good value for your money. Looking forward to visiting Tobago and staying here again soon.

• Stayed September 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Reviewed September 1, 2014 via mobile

Pros: A nice place overall. Close to the airport. and the port. A few eating places within walking distance.

The appliances provided were in good working condition.

Cons: The bed mattress was too hard. My wife and I awoke each morning each with a back ache and a neck ache.

The bathroom was a bit small. Could barely move around in it.

• Stayed August 2014
miami
Reviewed September 1, 2014 via mobile

Narrated here for a few days in June.
The location is good; 5 minutes walking from airport, 10 minutes to store bay and less than 10 minutes to popular restaurants.
It has a nice well kept yard with fruits trees that you are allowed to pick.
Rooms were clean
The manager of the location is very nice and helpful.

The negative:
1) pictures online does not give true reflection of the rooms. The rooms are very very basic and require some updating e.g painting, updated decor, etc.
2) no beach towels are provided; which is wired since you visit Tobago for the beach. It is provided at an extra fee. In case my case I only learnt this when I arrived. It is listed on their website on one of the pages which will be missed by most people . But it would be better if it is listed on their email confirmation since they list every single detail
3) every single item in the apt. Is listed on the wall when you enter the apartment. The list is inaccurate sine the apt is missing items. While they was probably implemented based on previous problems. I don't like it . It makes me feel like the owner thinks I am a bandit

Would I recommend this place to someone else: yes . But I would let them know the shortcomings

Would I go again: no

• Stayed June 2014
2 Thank oilandgas
Rachel B, Manager at Bananaquit Apartments, responded to this review, September 3, 2014
Thank you for your review, and your points are well noted. Our rooms are currently being renovated one by one, and well I guess we did not get to the one you stayed in yet. ....so Sorry.
I would like to thank you for highlighting the point that we dont like to advertise ourselves as anything more than budget accommodation. Our focus is on clean and comfortable rooms and good service. We used to offer complimentary beach towels , but the changing market forced us to have to add a rental fee for this service as our towels were constantly disappearing, so rental was necessary in order to keep our rates competitive. I appreciate your point on including this info on our confirmation email, but as you said, there is already too much information there, which most people tend not to read anyway. The inventory check list is to help our staff know what should be in each room, certainly not to make our guests feel uncomfortable. I will of course inform my staff to be more diligent in replacing missing items. Thank you for taking the time to bring these points to our attention. We appreciate it.
Trinidad
Reviewed September 1, 2014

If you're looking for a simple place to stay that's 5 minutes away from store bay beach, next to a mini mart and offers a decent price, then look no further. Banana quit is ideal for a short stay in crown point and offers the basic necessities- bed, kitchenette and air condition. The attendants are helpful and check in/out is a hassle free process. Expect no frills, but it's decent for the budget traveller.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your very candid review. We are glad you enjoyed your stay, and hope to see you again.
Sangre Grande
Reviewed August 26, 2014

My husband and I had a great time during our stay in 2012 so this was our first choice during our recent family trip to Tobago. Long story short on the second day, money was stolen from my purse stored in a cupboard in the bedroom while we were at the beach. I immediately called their emergency number and Carolyn assured she would deal with the situation when she got back since she was out but made sure to state that her staff was very trustworthy. A staff member was in our room while we were gone because the trash was taken out and the dishes stored away and I pointed this out during our discussion. All I got were excuses, excuses and more excuses. I recommended that we call the police since it was a theft and she stated that a similar situation occurred 2 years ago and the police could not do anything about the situation but promised to call Ms. Best and get back to me. In retrospect, I should have gone to the police immediately because all I got was sorry, I did not get my money back. I will never be comfortable here and so my family and I will NOT be returning. It's not about making anyone look bad but others have to know to be more aware of what's going on while staying there.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank KMC2011SangreGrande
TNTsvensk, Manager at Bananaquit Apartments, responded to this review, August 28, 2014
I am truly sorry for this horrific experience, but if I am to be able to the bottom of what happened, I need you to email me at banana@tstt.net.tt and just help tie up some loose ends to and it would help if a definite time was placed on when the cash actually went missing. We of course do not try to excuse our self from such serious situations, and we are sorry if it came across this way but we have had many cases where guests have recovered misplaced items, however not without first pointing the finger at the staff, who have already been demoralized by our own interrogation as this is what we are entitled to do. We are responsible for the hotel and guest security, and in some cases it is better to allow the authorities to investigate, but in situations where only a small amount of cash is stolen and no personal items taken, in our experience there is not much that can be done by the Police. We did have one incident 2 years ago, and as a result we take our employee reference checks very seriously as well as other methods of checking their integrity, but this does not mean we will not explore all details and the root cause of such an experience.
Obviously we cannot expect our guests to extend the same amount of trust as we do in our staff, and we cannot be expected to refund and accept responsibility for items that go missing. So we do have notices stating that we are not liable for lost items and advise guests to place valuables in the safety deposit box provided, if only to prevent such situations from happening which would put a damper on anyone’s holiday.
I am very sorry we did not even come close to yours, or even our expectations of what we would like our guests to experience at Bananaquit. So I would appreciate your assistance in emailing me with further details to make sure that we have not left anything uncovered.
Copenhagen, Denmark
Reviewed August 20, 2014

Have nothing negative to say about this place. But if i'm going to Tobago again, i would rather rent a house through AirBnb or spent some extra bucks and get some nicer housing, with better kitchen utilities and more up to date interior etc etc. But overall a good spot in Tobago and nice and caring staff!

Room Tip: Wifi is best, if you live in the apartments and ground level. If your going as a lager group, i woul...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Rachel B, Manager at Bananaquit Apartments, responded to this review, August 21, 2014
How wonderful that you were able to enjoy your first visit to Tobago, and thank you for your review, but as we do not like to oversell ourselves. I must maintain that we do not claim to be anything more than budget accommodation and our studios are only equipped with kitchenettes, not full kitchens. So they are only meant for cooking light meals and breakfasts. Full kitchens are provided in some lofts and in the larger family suites.
We do hope that you get the chance to visit Tobago once again.
Port of Spain, Trinidad
Reviewed August 12, 2014

Stayed here for a few days in a studio apt. Most of my days we were out so it was more of a place to sleep and relax at nite. The environment is homely an room is very simple but comfortable. Hot n cold shower..a/c...cable tv...small kitchenette an a bed. Its more of a budget apartment. The pool is on storebay holiday resort compound but it is shared with bananaquit. The gate is closed at 6.30 so if you stayed beyond that time in the pool you will have to walk around on the road. The only downfall i would say is no water on my last day an had to full bottles at a foot pipe at d side of the front of the building. I read this previously but didnt tink it would happen during my stay but other than that everyting is within walking distance an i enjoyed my stay.

• Stayed August 2014
TNTsvensk, Manager at Bananaquit Apartments, responded to this review, August 17, 2014
Thank you for your review. We do appreciate our visitors opinion as it helps us to improve our service. It was unfortunate about the water situation on your last day. Although Crown Point has been experiencing water shortage all summer due to the long drought this year, this event was particularly unfortunate as it was due to a broken pipe which was taken care of the very same day. So we hope now that all precautions have been covered to ensure this never happens again. I am so glad you were still able to enjoy your stay with us.
Many Regards
Candles in the Wind
Candles in the Wind
#2 of 20 in Crown Point
Turtle Beach by Rex Resorts

Been to Bananaquit Apartments? Share your experiences!