“R and Sea Divers What a disappointment”

R & Sea Diver's Company
Reviewed October 2, 2013

I have recently just returned from a seven day visit to Tobago which included a five-day diving package with R and Sea Divers. Being used to diving in the UK, I am used to things being basic on occasions but what we experienced wasn't just that. For what was supposed to be a professional diving operation, it left a lot to desired. The dive centre could only be described as a concrete shack on the beach. No proper changing facilities. No toilet facilities. The premises were not properly maintained or clean. The water in the tanks for washing out your dive gear was dirty and sandy and looked as if it hadn't been changed in some while. The dive boat was basic and not well maintained. No sign of oxygen on the boat in the case of emergencies. No proper space for storing your gear which led to several items being damaged. The dive guides were not particularly friendly and did what they wanted to do. Dives were hurried with no allowance for guests to explore at their own pace. It was keep up or get left behind. Although we complained about this to John and Wendy, the owners, they were either powerless or chose to do nothing about it. The vehicles used to transport divers to and from the dive site were poorly maintained with one having no rear seat belts. If you are offered a trip to Speyside to go diving be extremely cautious. One, as to the state of the vehicle hired and the competency of the driver, the lack of which on both counts led to I and most of my diver colleagues being involved in a major traffic accident. Second, as to whether the boat that has been hired will accommodate the number diving adequately, which was not the case for us.

R and Sea Divers has obviously been going through a lean patch and it really shows, which is unfortunate for them but also for anyone who chooses to dive with them. Not value for money. It will take a lot of investment in to get things back to a reasonable standard.

A wasted opportunity at what I am sure is beautiful location.

5  Thank Bob A

Reviewed September 30, 2013

Have dived with R & Sea Divers on many occasions. Dive Masters, Instructors and Boat Captain have always been very helpful and professional.

Boat always carried the 2 green boxes containing oxygen and first aid kit - they were always placed under the consol on the boat.

Everytime I dive in Tobago, I am amazed by what I see and photograph on the reefs.

Would highly recommend this Dive Company, for novice and experienced divers.

7  Thank scubalc
Reviewed September 23, 2013

I have just returned from a one week dive trip to Tobago. We were a party of 13 , 8 divers and 5 non divers and the trip was booked through Oonas divers. We were met late by John in his incredibly tatty truck, non working seat belts and questionable tread on the tyres.
We were staying at the Toucan Inn, it's a bit shabby round the edges and the rooms are pretty basic and could not be described as comfortable but it was clean and the food was good. We were not sure what to expect but on seeing the dive centre were incredibly underwhelmed , It is very basic and as mentioned on another revue there are no facilities, if you want a pee it's in the sea or a bush!! No shower to rinse off and sandy buckets to wash kit in.!The dive gear iis loaded on the bottom of the boat and as there were 8 of us it was on top of each other. Several pieces of kit have been damaged because of this. The standard means of starting the boat seems to be hit the battery terminals with a wrench to make contact and then hope for the best. As for safety equipment if there was oxygen on board it was well hidden.The diving was rushed and again as mentioned before you didn't get time to look and see because if you did you ran the risk of losing the rest. On the second days diving I had a bad air fill, I was not the only one. I told John about it but frankly he wasn't interested, his level of customer service is appalling. However this tale gets worse. We decided to go up to Speyside to try the diving up there and all 13 of us decided to go. No problem , R & Sea Divers would arrange this and a maxi taxi would be booked. The taxi was booked with Mr B the resident hotel taxi man. My husband and I were the last to get on the taxi only to find it only seated 11 and I was supposed to squeeze on the back seat with 3 others and my husband to travel sitting on a cool box. I complained loudly that this was unsatisfactory and dangerous and Mr B begrudgingly agreed to get another taxi for us. We found one in the Scarborough rank and we got out along with another "heavy one" ,as Mr B wanted. Suffice to say he drove like a loony and trying to accelerate around an obstacle ( a huge truck) met a car coming in the other direction and plunged over an embankment and rolled 50 feet down a hill. How our friends got out alive is a miracle but I do know if we had been in that van , not strapped in,there would have been fatalities !!!!! R & SeaDivers knew that 13 had been booked on the trip and did not check what transport was being used. John's. only recourse was , he (Mr B ) is normally ok. Their whole reaction to this event was damage limitation on their part and as John pointed out every one was ok, I agree every one got out with the help of the locals and apart from broken bones, severe lacerations and bruises he did not seem to understand the severe mental anguish that must have occurred , they all thought they would die.The irony as well being that Wendy bought some of the injured back from the hospital in her car with a broken back seat and no working seat belts!!!!!! As agents for Oonas divers they are a very poor example. Our group have dived all over the world and so far this has been the worst dive experience yet. If this is as good as Tobago has to offer we will not be bothering to come again .

4  Thank wendy c
Reviewed September 7, 2013 via mobile

These guys have an office in the hotel we we're staying in (Toucan), so took the opportunity to go scuba diving with our 2 boys.

The training was good, instructor superb and thorough. The diving was great, and the kids loved it!

I highly recommend these guys

4  Thank MarkJEagle
Reviewed July 6, 2013

Their office is located at the Toucan Inn on Store Bay Local Road and the dive shop itself is at the Pigeon Point which is where the dive boat are. Owners Wendy and John are very helpful and they are eager to help if you have any questions about the island. The island has a laid back Caribbean style so everywhere and everything may seem to be a bit slow and unorganized including the dive shop but it didn't bother me. The dive boat is small but I think it is the same style of dive boat used by all dive shops here on the island. The dive sites are all very close and I didn't feel the short dive trips were any problem. Overall, I had a nice time diving with them.

4  Thank K C