Olarro
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
$60
Orbitz.com
  • Restaurant
Mara Frontier Hotel(Narok)(Great Value!)
$42
Agoda.com
$232
$227
Agoda.com
AA Lodge Masai Mara(Maasai Mara National Reserve)
$174
$152
Priceline
  • Breakfast included
Fairmont Mara Safari Club(Maasai Mara National Reserve)
$370
$315
Fairmont.com
  • Breakfast included
No availability for your dates from our partners
All reviewsquad bikingassistant managermasai guidesafrican experienceswimming poolan abundancebreathtaking viewsexciting game drivesgreat adventurespotting thingsfascinating informationour honeymoontop qualityevery mealbarbarapatrickconservancy
FilterAll languages
Reviewed April 3, 2013

The Masai Mara is synonymous with Kenya, zebra and wildebeest. Well Olarro can offer you all of this while at the same time being away from the maddening crowd of Mara visitors. It is not inside the Mara but close enough that the drive will keep you entertained. With 9 rooms you are not going to feel crowded and the beauty of the place is you have a few hectares enclosed to wander around in or simply sit at the upper deck and look out over the plains and hills surrounding the area. A highlight is a day trip to the Mara. Being in a lodge vehicle that only seats 6 allows you to spend quality time at sightings and also hopefully avoid the minibus mob. Within their own conservancy area you can also go walking, cycling or driving with a guide to see the sights. While I was initially a bit perturbed by the cows and other domestic wildlife in the conservancy, one soon gets an understanding that this is how it's been for millennia and humans, wildlife and domestic live stock have co-existed here a long time. This is after all Maasai country. Animal wise I saw good herds of zebra and wildebeest even though the migration happens later on in the year. There were plenty of good general game sightings and a great sighting of an aardwolf at night feeding on termites along with two bat eared foxes. Lions & a cheetah were spotted in the Mara and spotted hyaenas serenaded us at night. I was hoping to go ballooning over the Mara but the weather did not play along so this will have to be for another trip. I understand that this is well worth it. Olarro is a very relaxing place and one that makes you feel at home.

Room Tip: If you have a family you might want to consider Little Olarro. It is like a home away from home.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
12  Thank Anthony B
Reviewed February 25, 2013

The most beautiful location. If you don't fell like doing game drives all the time Olarro is a perfect place. You are in the most beautiful nature and with just two nights there you still have the great opportunity to take a whole day game drive in Masai Mara - INCLUDING wonderful stylish breakfast and lunch IN the wilderness. The great masai-guide even bring white tableclothing and porcelain and you wait under a acacia tree while he prepares your meal and you enjoy the view and the animals. Another good thing with not beeing in the middle of Masai Mara is that it is only 3 hours drive from Nairobi - which also make Olarro a perfect stop over on longer trips. We have been there 3 times wihtnin the last two years, last time with a party of 28 people for a celebration and even that high amount of people Olarro handled with great professionalism. The food is fantastic! The view is stunning! The camp it self is beautifully furnished and make you fell special . What more can you wish for?

Room Tip: "Little Olarro" has its own dining area and is even better than the other rooms. For 2x2 persons this will be ideal and even more luxurious. I have seen all rooms and none of them are bad.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
16  Thank MaikenLT
Reviewed January 30, 2013

I was stunned by its location, although slightly further away than some other Masai MAra lodges, this stuns the senses, with superb manager who has oodles of experience to wow even the most travel wary. Excellent for children as they are on a private concession, the chances to meet Masai at the river, and go for a walk and newly introduced Quad bikes for a slightly different approach, the food excellent, Mike the guide superb on our one day Masai Mara safari, his knowledge of the region unsurpassed. local Masai community visibly not far, but does not impact on a superb experience. Food excellent and well presented, wholesome and healthy options too.
All in all worth using this property as your stayoverpoint while going into the Masai Mara. Vehicles are well maintained and you can self drive to get there only being a few short hours from nairobi.

Room Tip: the suites are excellent, and massive!! book that!
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
16  Thank ndoroman
Reviewed July 2, 2012

Greeted with a warm flannel and refreshing drink. Bags were collected and taken immediately to my room and I was escorted to the shared lounge area. Comfortable sofas, great roaring fire - fantastic.

Has a great separate accommodation for a family 'lille olarro' with use of a private deck for meals giveing magnificent views of the area whilst relaxing with a G&T!

Great day and night game drives. Night drive was great - saw much more than I thought I would. Looking through night binoculars is an experience in itself.

Treat yourself to a back and neck massage - absolute heaven. Treatment area is near the beautiful pool, soft music combined with the trickle of the waterfall outside was so relaxing.

Staff sang happy birthday to someone and danced, such a joy to watch.

Food is out of this world.

They have a great area where they grow their own vegetables and fruit and have their own composting area. So nice to see the fresh vegetables in their garden and then on your plate that night.

A fabulous chalet/villa style apartment, walk upstairs to the very generous bathroom, fantastic shower. Free internet connection allowed me to skype home because I had my laptop with me.

Highly recommend this property for a weekend for locals or at the end of a busy safari to unwind before heading home.

Room Tip: All rooms are of the same quality. Little Olarro is idea for a family with young children.
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo
15  Thank angiesafari
Reviewed March 31, 2012

Upon the advice of a Nairobi expat, I booked a long weekend at Olarro. The lodge is situated in the "greater Mara" and for those who don't want to be right on top of the Mara, it's a great spot.

Upon arrival, we were greeted by an extremely enthusiastic and friendly guard. Olarro is situated on a conservancy and there are plenty of animals to see just on their property alone.

We opted for the evening safari, which was great fun - we saw some interesting nocturnal creatures in addition to a very new elephant that had recently been born! We also did the sundowner game drive which was ridiculously romantic: there we were, sitting at our little table laid out with a white table cloth, noshing on small eats and sipping on some champers all nicely put together by our Masai guide, Jackson (who is awesome) while two giraffe stared on, nonplussed, from a distance.

We stayed in #7 and loved it, while the bungalows initially seemed a little close, we rarely saw anyone around. We heard there were over 15 people staying there we were surprised as we only ran into a handful of them during our stay.

The food was incredible. We are vegetarians and let them know in advance about our dietary restrictions. The food was absolutely fantastic, the most creative vegetarian dishes I've seen in awhile, and certainly the best I've experienced in Kenya! If you're a foodie, you will not be disappointed.

The staff is very accommodating, warm, generous, good-spirited and unobtrusive. Kara and Tanyth ensured we were set with our plans for each day and were extremely helpful. One night I mentioned to Sean in passing that we might like to have dinner sometime in the area by the platform where you can watch the animals drink from the water hole. I immediately forgot about it, only to learn the next day following our safari in the Mara, they set the entire place up especially for the two of us. It was lovely, romantic and really made the trip.

The Mara is about a 1.5 hour drive from Olarro - so if you stay here, you need to realize that you're not right in the Mara but have to drive a bit to get to it. Thankfully you will be accompanied by Masai guides, who we watched tow a bunch of tourists out of a bit of wet mud and change one of the tires on the Land Rover all in a matter of a few minutes.

We also did the Masai village tour - and really appreciated it. Once you're standing in the hot, dark mud hut of the Masai and hearing about how the village is carefully organized, you will look at their villages in a different light going forward.

I really can't think of anything critical to say about our stay at Olarro. If you prefer to travel by heli, they have two helipads so you don't have to deal with those nasty bumpy roads in from Nairobi...

I look forward to my next trip.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple