“Excellent Stay”
Review of Scole Inn

Scole Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Scole
Reviewed January 11, 2014

Stayed 1 night at this beautiful Grade I listed building. Check-in was smooth and efficient and my room on the 1st floor, with a 4-poster bed, open fire place was warm and welcoming. Bathroom and the rest of the room was spotless, 2 good quality large towels and 1 smaller towel, decent tog duvet and plenty of wardrobe space. Ironing board and iron supplied which is a excellent idea. Curtains were thick and lined which meant you weren't hidding under the duvet to avoid the sunlight in the morning.

As my visit was to attend a local funeral with the wake being held at the hotel, the staff could not have been more attentive, friendly or professional. Particularly Debbie and Chantelle who looked after the complete event and 40 people for a buffet lunch with extreme efficiency. Dinner menu is not adventurous, but what is available is very well cooked, well presented and very tasty. For breakfast you serve yourself, tea, coffee and cereals before being served an excellent cooked breakfast. Plently of car park space just a few paces from the entrance of the hotel.
Will definitely visit again and would recommend the hotel to anyone visiting the area.

Room Tip: Mobile phone signal very poor in the hotel.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank Robin C

Reviewed November 4, 2013

Lovely old ,listed building .does need some repairs and freshening up.
Had a massive room ,all facilities including iron, ironing board, hair dryer, wifi in rooms plus the usual tea,coffee etc.
The one member of staff we dealt with was polite and attentive.
Breakfast was plentiful and hot ,cereal choice, fruit juice and hot drinks.
No complaints especially as got deal off internet , so very good price .

Room Tip: Larger rooms with 4 poster in main hotel
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 2, 2013

I stayed at the hotel for 1 night whilst we had a power cut at home. It's a stunning building - grade I listed and full of fabulous features. I stayed in the Charles II room with my young son (aged 7). 4-poster bed and a huge open fireplace. The room was very clean, warm and spacious. TV and Wi-Fi (free). Lovely. The staff were very welcoming and did their utmost to make us feel at home. They obviously put in a lot of effort and attention.
We ate in the bar. The food was homemade and I didn't mind the reassuring 40 minute wait. I wouldn't say it was the best food (nor the best menu selection), but it was properly cooked, and well prepared (the salad was fresh). My son had 'mini' fish and chips and he loved it. They even gave him his own pumpkin for us to carve! The open fireplace with blazing log fire was a joy.
The only negative to this hotel is the communal areas. I don't mind chipped walls and cracked ceiling, but the carpet on the main staircase was dirty and the dining room had some dirty areas on the walls and a stale (probably from the carpet) smell. On balance I have to say that the bedroom was of a much higher decorative standard, and PLEASE - don't let this put you off staying in this hotel. One final (minor) point - some visitor information (welcome pack stating breakfast times etc.) would have been a nice addition in the bedroom.
Footnote: I'm not sure why one reviewed said there was insufficient parking. Apart from the free parking at the rear there is a huge overflow parking area. No need to ever park in the road!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Nickye_11
Reviewed October 28, 2013

A shame, this Inn could offer so much more. Potentially lovely old place dating from 1655, but needs some investment and better management. Rooms, (we were in the stable block) clean enough but shabby - bulb missing from bedside light, unfilled screw holes in walls, peeling window frames. Bars and restaurant likewise scruffy. Ate in bar one night and pleasantly pleased with food. Staff seemed disinterested in customers, perhaps lacking training and management control? More keen on slipping out the back for a fag! But it is relatively cheap, and I suppose you get what you pay for. I'm sure any investment, and I know the problems of working on a grade one listed building, would require a very much higher price to give a return.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank OldBillnicknick
Reviewed October 8, 2013 via mobile

I recently spent a few nights at the scole inn recently. I ate in the restaurant both days. the cooked breakfast was tiny and cold and my evening meal was to. I have dined there before and expected no less. I was informed by a loverly South African lady that there had been new management. at least the room was clean and to a high standard for the age of the place. a special thank you to amanda for all her help. I would return again mainly for the polite staff and cleanliness but until they sort the chef out I will be dining out

• Stayed: October 2013
Reviewed September 29, 2013

My husband and I returned to the Scole Inn after last being there about three years ago. We stayed in Emma's Room. It is a beautiful rustic room, clean and comfortable, with a four poster bed. I had read some pretty rotten reviews but love this building and thought I would make up my own mind. The place was built in the 17th Century and is steeped in history and myth.
The new staff have been in less than a month and have started to return the Inn to how we remember it, rustic and charming. If anyone is looking for straight edges, shiny surfaces and all mod cons, then please look for a modern facility. This place is very old and deserves to be looked after and loved by the people who come to stay.
Debbie and John, we wish you all the luck with your time here and look forward to returning again in the new year.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Madesque
Reviewed September 22, 2013

We were due to stay at the Scole Inn on Saturday 21st September as part of a classic car group.

We arrived at 4.30pm to be told by the nice young man on reception that our room, number 9 was still being cleaned. We suggested we'd have a drink in the bar and the receptionist went off to check on our room. What he failed to mention was that he was the only member of staff and was also the barman!

When we did see our room we were very disappointed, dark, no bedside lights, paper thin pillows, a shower I don't think I could stand up in, and grubby. I'm now told that this was a staff room and they'd just had to kick the chef out of it.

So poor that we decided we wouldn't stay there and there being no other room available we left and ended up driving straight back home.

We've never walked out on a hotel before, but we weren't prepared to stay in a room we couldn't even sit and read a book in. Considering the hotel was full we were surprised that there was only the one member of staff on and no manager. Despite leaving my number I have had no contact as yet from the manager.

To be fair the remainder of our group that we spoke to said their rooms were OK, but if they couldn't accommodate us all in decent rooms they should have said so.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else!
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank filaollie
Also consider these accommodations in or near Scole
The Park hotel
#1 of 1 in Harleston
The Bell Inn
The Bell Inn
#7 of 15 in Diss

Been to Scole Inn? Share your experiences!