“Rustic Charm”

Scole Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Scole
“Rustic Charm”
Reviewed September 29, 2013

My husband and I returned to the Scole Inn after last being there about three years ago. We stayed in Emma's Room. It is a beautiful rustic room, clean and comfortable, with a four poster bed. I had read some pretty rotten reviews but love this building and thought I would make up my own mind. The place was built in the 17th Century and is steeped in history and myth.
The new staff have been in less than a month and have started to return the Inn to how we remember it, rustic and charming. If anyone is looking for straight edges, shiny surfaces and all mod cons, then please look for a modern facility. This place is very old and deserves to be looked after and loved by the people who come to stay.
Debbie and John, we wish you all the luck with your time here and look forward to returning again in the new year.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Madesque

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
Wheathampstead, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 22, 2013

We were due to stay at the Scole Inn on Saturday 21st September as part of a classic car group.

We arrived at 4.30pm to be told by the nice young man on reception that our room, number 9 was still being cleaned. We suggested we'd have a drink in the bar and the receptionist went off to check on our room. What he failed to mention was that he was the only member of staff and was also the barman!

When we did see our room we were very disappointed, dark, no bedside lights, paper thin pillows, a shower I don't think I could stand up in, and grubby. I'm now told that this was a staff room and they'd just had to kick the chef out of it.

So poor that we decided we wouldn't stay there and there being no other room available we left and ended up driving straight back home.

We've never walked out on a hotel before, but we weren't prepared to stay in a room we couldn't even sit and read a book in. Considering the hotel was full we were surprised that there was only the one member of staff on and no manager. Despite leaving my number I have had no contact as yet from the manager.

To be fair the remainder of our group that we spoke to said their rooms were OK, but if they couldn't accommodate us all in decent rooms they should have said so.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank filaollie

Travelers are raving about these Scole hotels

Frinton-On-Sea, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 13, 2013

Having returned to stay at the Scole Inn after five years going to the Old Brewery House It was a delight to see Debbie the manager getting to grips with the hotel which had received bad reviews. The staff were very polite, helpful and nothing was too much trouble. I downside was the Restaurant with plastic table cloths making it look like an arcade tea shop at the seaside. Go back to linen cloths or plain white plastic if you must. Food was good. Well done Debbie.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Dennis W
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 13, 2013

After having a 3 and half mile walk around Scole
Then decided to go in the Scole Inn for a cup of tea or coffee
The coffee came out of a machine cold that got left then me and a friend decided to have a pot of tea for too , cups and saucers arrived looked in my cup still had the stains inside from a prevues persons tea or coffee so asked if l could have a clean cup then poured the tea and that was warm but not hot we could not drink it so everything was left its a shame as the Scole Inn could be a good Inn a lot better than it is

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Upminster, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 11, 2013

Lovely stunning old building full of character and history back dated many years ago.
Need a lot of donations,help and hard work to keep it up to date.

Bed and Dinner Excellent !

Continental Breakfast need improvement othet wise a pleasant stay for 3 days.

Room Tip: Choose a room away from the fan noise
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank Gino George Gee... B
Reviewed September 10, 2013

I went to the scole inn for a two night stay and thought it was a delightful place. I met Debbie the manageress who has just taken over and thought she was lovely and very helpful. In fact all staff was very helpful. My partner and I had the Emma room and it was clean and comfortable. Yes the building looks a little run down but what do except from a 16th centry building. Cant wait to stay there again.

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank Margaretoz
Cheltenham, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 27, 2013

I stayed 2 nights during a business trip, the staff are friendly and welcoming, and the main building is full of character, however I was offered a room in the 'old stable' and although clean with the usual facilities of tea/coffee and biscuits, the room was very stuffy, but on opening the window I found I then had to listen to a fan or air compressor motor whirring non stop.

The main bar is full of character, although a lick of paint here and there would be good, the food was good, well presented, and arrived very quickly, so quick that I suspected it was microwaved from frozen.

All in all I would stay again, but only on business, not somewhere I'd take my wife for a weekend.

Room Tip: Ask to stay in the main building !!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Scole
Best Western Brome Grange Hotel
#1 of 1 in Fersfield
The Bell Inn
The Bell Inn
#9 of 16 in Diss

Been to Scole Inn? Share your experiences!