“A good hotel with fabulous views”

Gleddoch Hotel, Spa & Golf
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Langbank
Knaresborough, United Kingdom
“A good hotel with fabulous views”
Reviewed November 14, 2012

I stayed for one night for a business meeting and thought that the hotel was very good. The location is very convenient, being close to the main road, but far enough off it to provide a quiet, peaceful stay.The hotel is situated on an elevated position above the village of Langbank and the views across the Clyde (weather permitting!) are fabulous.
My room was huge and very well appointed; and unlike some other reviewers - I seem to have struck lucky with my mattress, which was fine.
The food in the restaurant was well presented and of a good quality; as was the service.
In my view this is a good hotel, and if you book through websites such as Late Rooms or Trip Advisor the rates can be a bargain for a 4 star hotel.
Any negatives? Just a couple, and not particularly serious:

(i) The bars are utterly characterless and have all the charm of a station buffet. For one night I didn't mind, but if I was staying for longer I would certainly be forced to find somewhere to drink with a bit more atmosphere. Although whether this is possible in Port Glasgow or Greenock is open to debate.

(ii) Similarly, the check-in seems to be an afterthought (albeit it is as you enter the front door) and is no more than a desk in a rather square and boring entrance room. I also found check-in to be a tad slow.

(iii) The layout of the hotel is not for the faint-hearted and a trip to the bar, restaurant or leisure facilities seems to involve a trek along corridors and up flights of stairs from most of the bedrooms.

All in all however, a good hotel that is well worth a visit.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
OHIML, General Manager at Gleddoch Hotel, Spa & Golf, responded to this review, November 15, 2012
Thank you for your positive comments regarding your recent visit to Gleddoch House.

I am pleased that you enjoyed your evening meal and the hotel facilities overall.

I have noted your comments regarding the ambience of our bar facilities and reception area and will discuss this with my team as to how we can improve the guest experience in these areas.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Gleddoch House or another Oxford Hotel in the near future.

General Manager.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (283)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Troon
Reviewed November 12, 2012

Thoroughly enjoyed our stay here which was also the bargain of the century. We bought a deal for a round of golf each and dinner, bed and breakfast for £99. Honestly can't believe how much of a bargain it was. Our room was massive with a huge bed, dressing table and a lovely table and 2 chairs at the patio doors. The dinner was delicious, as was the breakfast and both were served by lovely friendly staff. We forgot our swimming gear so couldn't make use of the leisure facilities but the pool looked lovely with loungers at the side to relax on. My only criticism of the whole stay would be the price of a soda 'dash' for my wine - we were charged £2 for a small bottle of soda, all of which was poured into the glass making the drink more soda than wine. But hey if that's the only negative we definitely can't complain. We will definitely come back.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
OHIML, General Manager at Gleddoch Hotel, Spa & Golf, responded to this review, November 14, 2012
Thank you for taking time to post your very positive comment regarding your recent visit to Gleddoch House Hotel.
My apologies that our waiting staff did not ask you how much soda you required in your wine when you were served, I will address this with the team immediately to avoid future upset.
I look forward to welcoming you back to Gleddoch House hotel in the near future

cheshire
Reviewed November 10, 2012

I have stayed at gleddoch house many many times over the last 10 years and never had a bad stay - but last night was the worst ever ! I would point out that it was not the hotels fault but the folk in the next room, they talk at the top of their voice ALL night, and I mean all night , until 7 am this morning ! i think they were drinking all night and also had sex at least 4 times !! we heard every word , and boy she could moan.

If I stay again i will be careful which room to book but waste my money this time !

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
OHIML, General Manager at Gleddoch Hotel, Spa & Golf, responded to this review, November 12, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post a review onto TripAdvisor following your recent stay with us here at Gleddoch. May I also take this opportunity to thank you for your valued custom over the past 10 years and I am happy that this is the only stay you have not fully enjoyed over those years.
I can only apologise for the disturbances you encountered during the night but we unfortunately cannot control the actions of our guests once they are inside their bedrooms. I hope that this has not deterred you from staying with us again in the future and may I suggest that should a similar situation arise again that you please inform a member of reception or night staff who can then deal with the noise and disturbance from other rooms and hopefully aid in a more peaceful nights sleep for you.
We look forward to welcoming you back to Gleddoch in the future.
Best regards,
Margate, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 9, 2012

Nice Hotel with good pool and restaurant but oh dear the mattresses need help,
They are like getting on a water bed with not enough water in them.
Check the bed when you check in do not sleep there or your back will suffer,even my 10year old grandchild said it was uncomfortable and she is used to sleep overs that often involve basic sleeping arrangements!!!. obviously we only tried or room but both beds were not good.
Not sure it should be 4 star.

Room Tip: Ask for a good mattress when you book and try and book leisure block as every other part of hotel is...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your comments regarding your recent visit to Gleddoch House Hotel.
I am disappointed to read that you found your bed was uncomfortable, my apologies for this.

We are currently upgrading our mattresses throughtout the hotel as an on-going project and I will certainly address this room as priority - thank you for bringing it to my attention.

On a positive note, I was pleased to read that you enjoyed our other facilities and I look forward to welcoming you back to Gleddoch House in the near future.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 8, 2012

We had a Family break for one week the facilities the hotel offered were superb. The staff were friendly and always greeted you politely. The location of the hotel is excellent close to the attractions of Glasgow and Loch Lomond. The room we had was clean and warm, the swimming pool was great along with the gym. We would definetly recommend it to family and friends.

Room Tip: We stayed in the family room no 46.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
OHIML, General Manager at Gleddoch Hotel, Spa & Golf, responded to this review, November 11, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post your review of Gleddoch House Hotel on Trip Advisor.
I am very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your visit and would recommend Gleddoch House to your family and fiends.
I will certainly pass your positive comments on to the rest of my team who will be delighted.
Yorkshire
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Excellent views of the Clyde valley, but overall I cannot see that this hotel lives up to a 4 star billing. We got the stay on a special deal so overall it was good value for money, but I would not have liked to pay full price. Plus points, the restaurant food was excellent and good value for money, the room was clean and tidy, but the whole place felt like a golf club with rooms, great if you are on a golfing break... The residents bar was more like the golf club bar and everything, including the pool was up a lot of stairs, 71 from reception to the restaurant, almost as many to the pool, which unfortunately felt more like a municipal pool than a 4 star hotel offering. I think if we wre to stay again we would plan an evening in Glasgow and use this solely as a base.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank magpieranger
OHIML, General Manager at Gleddoch Hotel, Spa & Golf, responded to this review, November 8, 2012
Thank you for your comments posted 5th November 2012. As General Manager of Gleddoch House Hotel I have reviewed your comments.

I am pleased to read that your room was pleasing and that our location satisfactory. I am also pleased that you felt your stay was value for money, thank you.

I am disappointed to read that you did not enjoy the ambience of our bar facilities and that the lay out of the hotel was not acceptable, my apologies for this. Obviously there is very little we can do about the layout of the hotel as we do as best we can with what we have to work with. However, the atmosphere and ambience we create in our public areas is an area we can and will address further.

One a positive note I was pleased to read that you enjoyed the food quality. I do hope my genuine apologies are accepted and that we may be allowed the opportunity to welcome you back to Gleddoch House in the future.

Your sincerley,

Reviewed November 4, 2012

On the plus side, great location, fantastic views, a lovely big comfortable bed, and the pool was pleasant. On the minus side, the leisure section where our room turned out to be is very functional, not really the country house hotel we had anticipated. There is no cosy, warm bar to have a drink or a coffee in, or at least we could not find one, and the food was unexceptional at best. A previous reviewer mentioned the carpet outside the kitchen in a review a few months ago - it is still dirty where food has been spilled, and pretty smelly, and frankly a bit off-putting as you make your way to the restaurant for dinner. Overall, disappointing.

1 Thank MdV62
Thank you for your comments posted 4th November 2012. As General Manager of Gleddoch House Hotel your comments have been forward to me.

I am pleased to read that your room and the location met your expectations. I will address the area of carpet which you have mentioned immediately, my apologies for this .

We do offer several areas throughout the hotel in terms of lounges and quiet areas where tea, coffee and drinks service are avaiable but please accept my apologies if this was not clarified upon check in. I will address this immediately with my team.

Thank you for taking time to bring your experiences to my attension. I do hope my genuine apologies for the areas where we fell short are accepted.

Your sincerley,

Neil Brown

Travelers are raving about these Langbank hotels

Also consider these accommodations in or near Langbank
Cameron House on Loch Lomond
Mar Hall Golf & Spa Resort
Ingliston Country Club
Ingliston Country Club
#2 of 3 in Bishopton
Macdonald Forest Hills Hotel & Spa
Lodge on Loch Lomond
Golden Jubilee Conference Hotel

Been to Gleddoch Hotel, Spa & Golf? Share your experiences!