“A refreshing weekend away on the edge of the Clyde with pampering, food and views”

Gleddoch Hotel, Spa & Golf
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Langbank
Cambridge, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2011

I booked the Gleddoch House Hotel as a birthday treat for my mum and sister and pre-arranged some pampering treatments for each of us. I chose the hotel based on it’s pampering treatments, but was also looking for somewhere that welcomed dogs as my mum is visually impaired and has a guide dog. I was originally concerned that as part of a hotel chain this venue would be fairly low quality, but it really surpassed my expectations on all levels!
Driving up the hill to the hotel we were very excited by our first views over the Clyde and when the hotel itself came into view we were even more so. The original part of the hotel is a good looking building from the outside, and its surroundings make it even more beautiful. Our room was ‘round the back’ of the original building, and not so glamorous from the outside, but comfy and welcoming none-the-less. Our triple room had two double beds, bedside tables, two comfy chairs, a large desk/make-up area (with tea, coffee and Scottish biscuits), a large TV, Wardrobe space and en suite bathroom (bath/shower, toilet and sink) and led out onto a small decked balcony with views over the car park/golf course. We each had a pile of fresh towels on the end of our beds and toiletries were provided in the bathroom.

The first night we decided to eat in the hotels restaurant and started the meal with a fairly priced bottle of Chilean wine. The menu was lovely with lots of different and interesting options. Me and my mum are both vegetarians and found some exciting choices, and my sister who is a carnivore was equally impressed. When the meals arrived they were very well presented and generous portions, a lovely way to start our time away.
Breakfast was served until 9.30 am on weekdays and 10.00 at the weekend and was really worth waking up for. There was a buffet selection of cereals, fruit, juice, cheeses, condiments, croissants and pastries and in addition they have a lovely menu with choices of cooked breakfast (made to your specifications) with all the usual elements including some Scottish favourites; haggis and potato scone, bacon waffles (and the surprise of pancakes when these had run out), kipper, and my mums favourite freshly made Scottish porridge to your personal taste with a variety of toppings.

Activities

Although not golfers ourselves we were very impressed by the extensive and well kept golf course which seemed to go on for miles all around the hotel. It was frequently visited by other guests or coach loads of keen golfers and really seemed like a golfers paradise (although I would just like to point out that this in no way interfered with our stay).
The hotel has a long, slim swimming pool, which was excellent for swimming lengths and also just having a splash. It is all the same depth, so no good for diving, but great for adults or children. When we were there the pool was fairly quiet, and us being the only users for long periods of time so it was very relaxing. Next to the pool there is a steam room and sauna which were both very pleasant and easily accessible.
The hotel has a tiny spa offering a range of massages and beauty treatments. We all had an aromatherapy massage (best massage therapist I’ve ever had) and a hot stones massage the following day which was the perfect way to relax. As the spa was so small they were only able to do two massages at the same time (and only one hot stones massage), so being a group of 3 it meant we had to take it in turns, but this wasn’t really a problem as they have a tiny relaxation room you can wait in. If you are looking for a grand 5* spa to relax in this isn’t it, but the treatments themselves were very good and we would definitely go back.
As we had the dog with us we were looking for some scenic walks in the local area and found Finlaystone Park a mere stones throw away (I think it was about 3 minutes in the car, if that). We decided to take the yellow route which meant lots of climbing up little rugged hills (remember we are from Cambridge – the flattest place on Earth!) through woodland and was great fun. The dog was allowed to run free through the forest walk and had a great day. They also have a set of walled gardens (dog on the lead) to explore, which were absolutely beautiful and definitely worth a visit. The ‘smelly’ garden was a particular favourite of my mums, as it was specially designed for visually impaired people to enjoy. We had lunch in the little cafe which was OK, nothing to really write about, but nothing to complain about either.
We also visited Loch Lomond, which was about a 20 minute drive away, and very easy to get to using the sat nav. We went through the castle estate/country park, and walked along the shores of the Loch and through forest and open wild flower fields too (all the time with the dog off her lead). There was a beautiful walled garden in the castle grounds with loads of different flowers to look at. I can’t remember what it was called but just after the bridge that crosses the Loch there is a pub/restaurant on the left hand side which serves the most delicious food! (we actually went there for lunch and dinner in one day it was so good). Loads of vegetarian choices and other really interesting meals, all fairly priced. We sat outside in the sunshine on their lovely decked area having our lunch and really felt like we were on holiday.

The only other thing I wanted to mention was the wonderful Italian meal we had in the village of Houston (only a 5-10 min drive) at Brodie’s Italian. The food was great, enormous portions and so underpriced, it was just fab!! The hotel recommended it to us, and I would definitely recommend it to anyone!

We will most definitly be back!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (268)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Birmingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2011

Spent 3 nights here. Staff very helpful and polite. Bedroom was spacious and clean. Hostess tray had a nice selection of biscuits but only 1 saucer on our first day and when replenished the next day there were no teabags! However this was immediately rectified following our request at reception. This large hotel receives visitors on coach tours who depart very early in the morning, some of whom were extremely noisy in the corridor and showed no consideration for other sleeping guests. A reminder notice about this in bedrooms might be helpful.

Matlock, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2011

My husband and I fancied a short trip away and decided on Scotland. After scouring the internet for a deal at the beginning of August, not always an easy thing to find, I came across an offer for a trip to this hotel, golf and country club. As it is on hotel chain wesbites it is not as forthcoming with information as private establishments are, so we were driving into the unknown so to speak, with no restaurant menu information etc readily available online.
What a pleasant surprise then to arrive at the hotel and find that it was a perfect establishment for our 3 day break. The setting is wonderful, with views over the Clyde or the golf course. Our room was at the rear of the hotel, quite a way from reception but was not a problem as we were able to park in the car park literally outside our room.
The rooms were quite large and well fitted out. I am a light sleeper and did have problems during two of the three nights we stayed as the walls were not the thickest, but that is my problem and not the hotels. I could have just as easily asked next door to be a little quieter - instead I took a sleeping tablet on the third night and had a very solid sleep in a very comfy bed!
I would recommend this hotel if you are wanting to venture up to Scotland. It's perfectly situated for sight-seeing and relaxing, and is easily accessable. Oh yes, and the staff were some of the friendliest people that I have ever had the pleasure to meet.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2011

2nd visit to this hotel. The stay was excellent as before. The rooms are a great size and the swimming pool nice and warm for the kids. Breakfast was great, we had dinner one night and it was excellent - compliments to the chef. We will reccomend this hotel and definately go back.

• Stayed August 2011
1 Thank Rexsmum
Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2011

Went away for the night with my husband to relax and have a nice meal in nice surroundings.. we were not dissapointed!
Check in - There were 2 girls on the desk when we arrived and they could not have been more helpful, very chatty but very proffesional with great local knowledge. They arranged for help with our bags as our room was up one flight of stairs.

The room was great good size, I would have liked a mini bar but I could not complain , clean possibly the bathroom could have done with modernisation however very clean and spacious , I must say that the Shower was fab and had a nice relaxing bath there too!

We had our meal at the restauraunt and were not dissapointed. I had the mussels which were fantastic, followed by the Lamb... it really was mouth wateringly good. Staff were very attentive and very proffesional and courteous. One girl actually reccomended a nice day trip for us to go on the following morning after breakfast .Sooo nice!!

Even when the restaurant became busier we were still given great service it was like a well run machine with staff dotted around. When finishing our dessert and coffees we were never at all rushed like we are in some place in the city. Great place to relax and have quality time with your partner!!

The location of gleddoch house , I would say is fantastic, about a 5 - ten minute walk down the country road there is the train station which leads on to glasgow central very handy if guests wish to shop or see the sites!. as we were only from glasgow we had our own car but ventured on a day trip to loch lomand shores which was less than a half hour away perfect!

We both used the swimming pool which was lovely, really relaxing atmosphere as was the SPA I had a nice massage which left me feel totally rested while my hubby went for a look round the golf course, he was very impressed!

All in all I really cannot fault this hotel the staff are fantastic and seemed to go over and above to help! Great idylic location, We will defintely be back very soon!

2 Thank Amelia B
Glasgow, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2011

I had been told by friends that the food got bad reviews and they were not wrong. Breakfast was mostly uncooked. Snotty eggs and raw black pudding. The only redeeming qualities for Gleddoch house was the setting and the Spa treatments included in the deal I got.

1 Thank Cabby_40
OHIML, General Manager at Gleddoch Hotel, Spa & Golf, responded to this review, November 1, 2011
Please accept my apologies for your disappointment at your recent stay at Gleddoch House Hotel. The quality of the food is a key part of our business and it is therefore both disappointing and frustrating that on this occasion we were not able to exceed your expectations. I have addressed the points raised with our Head Chef.

I am glad that you enjoyed you spa treatments and the location of the hotel. I do hope that your experience on this occasion has not deterred you from staying with us again in the future. Please feel free to contact me at the hotel should you wish to discuss your stay in full.

Travelers are raving about these Langbank hotels

Belfast, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2011

We got a fantastic deal for a family room through laterooms but were a bit concerned when we read some of the reviews. The hotel is a strange lay-out and probably not four star standard but I'm happy to say we shouldn't have worried. We were told at check-in that it was better to drive to the back of the hotel and were also offered help to carry suitcases. The room was large but (and this was the only disappointment) was a bit rough at the edges in cleanliness terms (dead flies in window, marks on bed covers). We ate dinner in the hotel and were pleasantly surprised - the food was delicious and well above normal hotel standard - breakfast was also good and staff were all friendly and efficient. We used the hotel pool and leisure facilities which were great and again staff were friendly and helpful. All in all a good stop off point and good value for money.

2 Thank Damian W
Also consider these accommodations in or near Langbank
Cameron House on Loch Lomond
Mar Hall Golf & Spa Resort
Ingliston Country Club
Ingliston Country Club
#2 of 3 in Bishopton
Macdonald Forest Hills Hotel & Spa
Lodge on Loch Lomond
Best Western Buchanan Arms Hotel & Leisure Club

Been to Gleddoch Hotel, Spa & Golf? Share your experiences!