“Couldn't have been any better.”
Review of Blanket Bay

Blanket Bay
Reviewed August 29, 2009

We arrived at Blanket Bay on the last leg of our honeymoon and immediately noticed we had saved the best for last. It is set in a beautiful location, in which it fits into perfectly. Blanket Bay is a cozy, yet luxurious, lodge where you can go to literally get away from it all. The excellent service, excellent rooms and beautiful views really set the hotel apart from others we had stayed at before, but all the other small things (including the dining...which was great), truly made this a 5 star experience. Although Blanket Bay is not cheap, it is worth every penny. If you can afford it, do not hold back. You will not be sorry.

Even though I noted the excellent service above, I have to give personal recognition to Judy, Eric, Owen, and Lauren who were so nice and attentive that it made our stay memorable.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple

Reviewed August 27, 2009

My husband and I stayed at Blanket Bay for 5 nights to celebrate his 30th birthday and our wedding anniversary. We were expecting our stay to be pretty fabulous based on the reviews, but even with such high expectations, we were still blown away.

The welcome we received from Judy at check-in was so gracious and warm, that we were put at ease immediately. There is no pretentiousness whatsoever at Blanket Bay, and formal dress is not required for dining, unlike places such as Kauri Cliffs where it is stipulated that jackets must be worn. You can be yourself, which means that you relax as soon as you walk in the entrance.

We were lucky enough to be upgrade to one of the lodge suites, which are simply fabulous. Absolutely breathtaking ceiling to floor views of Lake Wakatipu and the snow capped Humboldt Mountains, greeted us every morning. The suites are very roomy, with separate lounge area in front of the gas fireplace, enormous balcony, and huge bathroom with steamroom. Minibar provisions are included in the room rate with the exception of wine and spirits.

The facilities are great. Huge games room with pool table, shuffleboard, chess, darts, puzzles, enormous flat screen tv with dvd's and a 24 hour self-serve bar. The jacuzzi is fabulous with it's french doors that open to reveal more stunning scenery. The gym is well equipped and comes with a view. There are a number of walks around the property which are beautiful and help to burn off the calories consumed at dinner and breakfast!

Dining was a gastronomic delight! Starting with pre-dinner cocktails; every imaginable cocktail could be made if desired, or if Moet is more to your liking, then this is available. Pretty much anything that took your fancy was on offer. Then a 5 course dinner followed each night. The day's menu was presented over cocktails and after the soup of the day, you have the choice of 2 appetisers, 2 salads, 3 mains and 3 deserts. Everything was spectacular, and made using fresh local produce, including the icecreams and sorbets, which were to die for!!! An extensive breakfast menu was on offer the next morning to set you up for the day. And again, everything was fantastic. There is a lunch menu on offer if you feel hungry during the day, at additional cost.

The staff are amazing. Everyone is so warm and friendly and will go out of their way to ensure your stay is everything you imagined it to be. They were able to organise jetboating on the Dart River and a trip into Glenorchy for us. If you wanted o do a helitour or go skydiving, they'd organise it. Nothing was too much trouble. I had to be taken by ambulance to Queenstown hospital and Judy was so supportive and helpful, despite having to also cater to a wedding party that day. This sadly happened on the day of my husband's birthday, and despite the hospital trip and late return to the lodge, the staff still were able to accommodate us at dinner and presented him with a surprise birthday cake and sang happy birthday. We also found a plate of handmade chocolates and a card congratulating us on our anniversary, which was another really lovely touch.

Overall the stay was divine, and we'd love to go back next week! If you can manage to save some dollars and book a stay at Blanket Bay, you certainly won't regret it.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 30, 2009

My husband and I live by the motto "Live modestly but travel extensively and when justified, expensively" Blanket Bay certainly justifies the expense.We have just got home after a fantastic stay .I booked a suite at Blanket Bay as a surprise for my husband to celebrate our 20 th Wedding Anniversary.We had just completed a three month world trip,staying in some of the best international destinations-so I was realistic that now we were home in New Zealand,rivalling our recent experiences would be tricky.

Not only did Blanket Bay rival the best stays of our big trip -it exceeded all of them.
Our Anniversary could not have been more special-from the romantic dinner served in the wine cellar cave-to the superb accommodation and fantastic food.

To fellow Kiwis reading this- some advice;
*bite the bullet,book one of the suites.Go the whole way-you won't be disappointed;
unbelievable views,fireplace,cosy sofas,your own steam room.......the suite has a virtual tour on their site, www.blanketbay.com .....if romance doesn't happen for you there-you may as well concede defeat!
*Go in our winter.Why miss our glorious New Zealand summer going to the States skiing at Christmas when you can have The Whistler experience in NZ -and Blanket Bay leaves any of the famous American lodges I have stayed at far behind in its wake.
*Go to cocktail hour an enjoy the company of discerning overseas guests,we don't get enough of them in God's Own.

3 nights in Blanket Bay will make you feel like like you been on a fortnights break somewhere less superb.

We rediscovered our inner competitive children versing great Aussies in the games room at pool,darts and the American game shuffle board.The complimentary games room beer fridge even had Kilkenny's!
The stunning spa has concertina doors that fold right back-nothing between you the lake and the mountains.
We made ourselves leave the fire and the ambiance to enjoy easy local walks and even a bike ride to the very close by and picturesque ,Glenorchy township.

The staff were wonderful;competent ,intelligent and unobtrusive.I would like to make special mention of Irish barman ,Owen and lovely local Glenorchy lass ,Rebbecca.Both of these lovely personalities enhanced our stay.General Manager Philip Jenkins is highly experienced and a very intuitive host.Both Judy and Anna (who put me at ease about me splashing out with out spousal consent) were a credit to Blanket Bay ethos.

I did warn you I was effusive about this place.If you want somewhere to remember a pivotal moment in your life ;a proposal,anniversary-I really don't think you could do better!

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank familyworldtraveller
Reviewed May 31, 2009

We stayed at Blanket Bay for a relaxing weekend and could not have asked for anything more. The scenery is beautiful, the lodge is stunning and has a very relaxed atmosphere, the staff couldn't have been better without being over-bearing and the food was also great.

Having read a recent review on Eric, we can confirm we found him helpful and friendly at all times (perhaps the previous guest mistook his French attitude for redeness).

Obviously it is very pricey but you certainly get what you pay for and we will definitely be recommending it and going again.

Any overseas travellers, this is a must see if you want to experience New Zealand at its finest.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 19, 2009

Blanket Bay is a beautiful hotel with a stunning view. The interior is romantic and it has excellent facilities. The restaurant is very good, although not exceptional.The rooms are clean, the beds are great, bath and shower great. Hot tub, steam bath and swimming pool beautiful. Only one of the waiters, Eric, was not really delightful, a complaint that you heard from many more guests. He gives you the feeling that everything you ask is too much. Cleaning the table, pouring wine everything came with a smirk. A pity because these things are important to make you feel at home. Rest of the staff was very helpful.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 9, 2009

This is hands down the best place I have ever stayed. I have nothing but good things to say. The scenery was spectacular. The rooms were comfortable, spotless, and filled with perks. The staff are so on top of things that you never run into housekeeping. They know when you are down at breakfast or out sightseeing and they clean your room based on your schedule. We didn't have to make an arrangements for tours/activities ourselves- the staff would come and talk to us at dinner or during "happy hour" to ask us what we would like to do and they made all arrangements. The breakfasts and dinners that are included in the lodge cost were excellent! The dinners were all 5 star. There is a cocktail hour every night. After dinner you can retire to the game room for pool, snooker, darts, movies, and a fully stocked, free bar. All employees of the hotel are polite, personable and helpful. We were never once asked for our room number- the staff knew us by name. The location, besides being absolutely beautiful, is perfect for any activity that you would like to do. The hotel even made arrangments for us to go skydiving with a landing on the lawn of the lodge! I cannot think of a single thing that was disappointing or less than 5 star!

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank Redpandachicago
Reviewed February 2, 2009

My husband & I stayed here for 2 nights in a Lodge Suite in late January. I've stayed at many great properties around the world, but this was one of the best all-around experiences I've ever had. I would go back immediately without hesitation.

First, the property itself is wonderful. It's situated in an isolated corner of the huge & startlingly blue Lake Wakatipu, facing an incredibly beautiful mountain range (2,500m) with snow at its peaks, with another beautiful mountain range at its back, & another set of high mountains with glaciers, forest & the amazing Dart River right around the bend. It's like a lonely homestead surrounded by mountains, trees, lake, & sheep. This was by far the most stunning scenery of our week's trip to the South Island & one of the most beautiful mountain areas I've ever been to, including the Rockies & the Alps.

Second, the service & food are terrific. The hosts & staff are friendly, helpful & genuine without being obtrusive. They will leave you alone or give you help depending on what you want. The cocktails are generous. The food was excellent, as good as some Michelin-star restaurants I've been to in France (I've been to over 20).

Third, the activities are great. Our helicopter trip with Heliworks was unforgettable, one of the best things I've done. It's expensive but if you're frugal on this you will miss out; you can also halve the cost if you share with another guest, as we did. Do it on a sunny, calm day, as you'll be able to see more & stop at more dramatic places. The Dart River safari was unexpectedly amazing, with unique scenery. We hiked part of the Routeburn Track, which was gorgeous & only a 20-min drive to the trailhead.

Our room was very nice - very large, big bathroom with huge soaking tub, large bed with deep fluffy down duvet, large patio with gorgeous view over the mountains & jetty. The tap water was delicious (I can hardly believe I'm writing this but it's true).

In summary, it was a great experience & worth the price. Admittedly it may not be as stunning in poor weather (we had sunny clear days), but I will be recommending this to everyone I know (who can afford it!).

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Glenorchy
Matakauri Lodge
Hilton Queenstown Resort & Spa
Eichardt's Private Hotel
Eichardt's Private Hotel
#21 of 58 in Queenstown

Been to Blanket Bay? Share your experiences!