“A must stay if you want to experience NZ at its finest”
Review of Blanket Bay

Blanket Bay
Reviewed May 31, 2009

We stayed at Blanket Bay for a relaxing weekend and could not have asked for anything more. The scenery is beautiful, the lodge is stunning and has a very relaxed atmosphere, the staff couldn't have been better without being over-bearing and the food was also great.

Having read a recent review on Eric, we can confirm we found him helpful and friendly at all times (perhaps the previous guest mistook his French attitude for redeness).

Obviously it is very pricey but you certainly get what you pay for and we will definitely be recommending it and going again.

Any overseas travellers, this is a must see if you want to experience New Zealand at its finest.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple

Reviewed April 19, 2009

Blanket Bay is a beautiful hotel with a stunning view. The interior is romantic and it has excellent facilities. The restaurant is very good, although not exceptional.The rooms are clean, the beds are great, bath and shower great. Hot tub, steam bath and swimming pool beautiful. Only one of the waiters, Eric, was not really delightful, a complaint that you heard from many more guests. He gives you the feeling that everything you ask is too much. Cleaning the table, pouring wine everything came with a smirk. A pity because these things are important to make you feel at home. Rest of the staff was very helpful.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 9, 2009

This is hands down the best place I have ever stayed. I have nothing but good things to say. The scenery was spectacular. The rooms were comfortable, spotless, and filled with perks. The staff are so on top of things that you never run into housekeeping. They know when you are down at breakfast or out sightseeing and they clean your room based on your schedule. We didn't have to make an arrangements for tours/activities ourselves- the staff would come and talk to us at dinner or during "happy hour" to ask us what we would like to do and they made all arrangements. The breakfasts and dinners that are included in the lodge cost were excellent! The dinners were all 5 star. There is a cocktail hour every night. After dinner you can retire to the game room for pool, snooker, darts, movies, and a fully stocked, free bar. All employees of the hotel are polite, personable and helpful. We were never once asked for our room number- the staff knew us by name. The location, besides being absolutely beautiful, is perfect for any activity that you would like to do. The hotel even made arrangments for us to go skydiving with a landing on the lawn of the lodge! I cannot think of a single thing that was disappointing or less than 5 star!

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank Redpandachicago
Reviewed February 2, 2009

My husband & I stayed here for 2 nights in a Lodge Suite in late January. I've stayed at many great properties around the world, but this was one of the best all-around experiences I've ever had. I would go back immediately without hesitation.

First, the property itself is wonderful. It's situated in an isolated corner of the huge & startlingly blue Lake Wakatipu, facing an incredibly beautiful mountain range (2,500m) with snow at its peaks, with another beautiful mountain range at its back, & another set of high mountains with glaciers, forest & the amazing Dart River right around the bend. It's like a lonely homestead surrounded by mountains, trees, lake, & sheep. This was by far the most stunning scenery of our week's trip to the South Island & one of the most beautiful mountain areas I've ever been to, including the Rockies & the Alps.

Second, the service & food are terrific. The hosts & staff are friendly, helpful & genuine without being obtrusive. They will leave you alone or give you help depending on what you want. The cocktails are generous. The food was excellent, as good as some Michelin-star restaurants I've been to in France (I've been to over 20).

Third, the activities are great. Our helicopter trip with Heliworks was unforgettable, one of the best things I've done. It's expensive but if you're frugal on this you will miss out; you can also halve the cost if you share with another guest, as we did. Do it on a sunny, calm day, as you'll be able to see more & stop at more dramatic places. The Dart River safari was unexpectedly amazing, with unique scenery. We hiked part of the Routeburn Track, which was gorgeous & only a 20-min drive to the trailhead.

Our room was very nice - very large, big bathroom with huge soaking tub, large bed with deep fluffy down duvet, large patio with gorgeous view over the mountains & jetty. The tap water was delicious (I can hardly believe I'm writing this but it's true).

In summary, it was a great experience & worth the price. Admittedly it may not be as stunning in poor weather (we had sunny clear days), but I will be recommending this to everyone I know (who can afford it!).

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 17, 2009

A truly fantastic lodge resort, excellent and outstandingly hospitable staff, genuine attention to detail, first class food and really comfortable well appointed rooms. The highlight of the trip was the landing of a helicopter on the lawn to take me on a personal trip over the Southern Alps.

The only negative (and regrettably a common feature of the very high end NZ lodge market) was that the guest profile had an excess of (mostly loud) USA guests, many of whom had never appeared to leave the USA before. This became overbearing and grinding over several nights. Otherwise a wonderful experience and highly recommended.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Joemalone123
Reviewed December 2, 2008

My husband and i stayed here with another couple to celebrate my 40th birthday. We booked the Richardson staterooms which were just lovely. These are one building with 2 identical bedrooms with ensuite bathrooms at either end of the building and a living room, small kitchenette and cloakroom in the middle. Both bedrooms and the living room had fireplaces with instant flames - lovely.

On the night of my birthday we ate in the 'cave' which the staff had decorated with pink balloons for me. My friends had organised a birthday cake and the waiter even sang happy birthday in French to me.

The food was amazing both nights that we stayed (on the second night we ate next to the outside fireplace) and the staff were so friendly.

We hardly saw any other visitors during our stay other than in the bar in the evening. I had a fabulous massage one day and my friends organised a lunch at a winery (via helicoptor) on the other day. We also went jet boating up the river Dart which I can thoroughly recommend.

The weather was beautiful whilst we were there with clear blue skies although being October, it did get a bit chilly in the evenings. The view from the spa is amazing and inspired us to go and jump in the lake (although we only stayed in for a few seconds as it was freezing but at least I can definitely say it was invigorating!).

I would thoroughly recommend this hotel to anyone who wished to have a special few days in a most beautiful part of New Zealand.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 21, 2008

When you read the reviews it is clear that this is a outstanding property. Believe me that they do not convey how special Blanket Bay is. It is simply the best lodge/ hotel I have ever had stayed in.
Call ahead and let the staff help you plan your stay and activities.
There is a lot to do and they can help you do as much or as little as you want. You will not want to leave this beautiful paradise.

Stayed: November 2008
1  Thank KLHUsa
Also consider these accommodations in or near Glenorchy
Matakauri Lodge
17 mi away
Heritage Queenstown
Heritage Queenstown
#21 of 59 in Queenstown

Been to Blanket Bay? Share your experiences!