“At 50 yrs we'll wait at least 15 yrs before returning. We're too young to be here.”
Review of Blanket Bay

Blanket Bay
Reviewed April 19, 2014 via mobile

It's such a shame that this attractive building in such a stunning location should be so soulless.
The waiting staff are lovely and polite but the culture of how the place is run is shallow and empty. As a guest you feel like your a bit of an unfortunate but necessary inconvenience and lucky to be there at all. This privately owned family home/hotel was built in this place because of the owners passion for the scenery, fishing and other activities. But the management don't embrace their clients and encourage them to enjoy what this area has to offer. It's sad as all the ingredients are there.... It's has to come from the top down. Guests are not a boring commodity they are exciting people who are happy to spend 5 star money for an exciting and enchanting experience.
If you want people to return make them feel special, help them get into the spirit of what the owners saw when they built Blanket Bay.

• Stayed: April 2014
3  Thank S F
Philip J, General Manager at Blanket Bay, responded to this reviewResponded April 21, 2014

Dear SF, I was very disappointed to read your review about your recent stay with us. I particularly enjoyed meeting you both and the discussions we had as we seemed to have so much in common regarding where we all were from. I know I had to break away from you to welcome a party of arriving guests; sadly we were unable to reconvene. Interestingly the demographic of our guests includes, like yourselves, a large number of people on honeymoon. It is always a delicate balance in a small intimate lodge to gauge how much time couples want to spend alone. It would be fair to say for the nights you were with us, you lowered the average age of those in house. I most certainly recognize the investment you made to stay with us was significant. It is for this reason we go out of our way to engage with every guest to ensure we leave no stone unturned in terms of personal service. Our objective is to convert every wish, I know the weather foiled your plans to take the helicopter to Milford Sound which was upsetting.
Guilford is an awfully long way from Glenorchy, I sincerely hope if you return to New Zealand you give us a chance to show you our service culture is precisely what you were expecting; this stems from the owners passionate desire for everyone who stays at Blanket Bay to go away with only the fondest memories of New Zealand, this area, the lodge, the people and their personal experience which results in multiple return visits. If you found Blanket Bay soulless due to the management style, clearly we dropped the ball and the finger should be squarely pointed at me, please accept my apologies.

Reviewed April 13, 2014

My wife and I stayed five nights in the Mt Aspiring Suite .The room was large and well appointed. Bathroom was great including a steam shower. The huge private balcony was a great place to relax and take in the fabulous ever changing view of the lake and mountains.
Pre-dinner drinks each evening allowed us to chat to other guests and the very pleasant bar staff.
Food was a credit to the chef with a different five course meal each evening served by delightful and knowledgeable wait staff. A highlight was my 75th birthday dinner in the Wine Cave.
Activities highlight was a helicopter trip to Milford Sound with a landing on a glacier and on a West Coast beach.
This is a magnificent resort in incredible surroundings and the wonderful staff completed our enjoyment. It would be unfair to name any individuals as all played a part in making our stay a memorable one.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Elsdal_12
Philip J, General Manager at Blanket Bay, responded to this reviewResponded April 15, 2014

What a lovely surprise to receive your review today. We were so pleased you chose Blanket Bay to celebrate your milestone birthday. It was wonderful to get you away to Milford Sound by helicopter and also to experience The Dart Rive Jet Boat adventure. As you say we are privileged to live and work in this beautiful region of New Zealand with so many amazing experiences to enjoy right from the property.
We very much look forward to you coming back to commemorate many more birthdays in the future. Thank you for your kind words. The Blanket Bay Team were thrilled to read your report.

Reviewed March 10, 2014

Thank you all the wonderful people who looked after us at our stay at Blanket Bay! Yes the lodge, our rooms, the food (OMG bring an extra stomach it's so delicious) and the unbelievable location are stunning. But it is the amazing people who make this experience unforgettable. Ruth you are a treasure ( Pumas World Cup 2015 ?!).
Blanket Bay is magical and (we warn you) addictive. We will see you in August again and we can't wait!

Room Tip: They are all fabulous
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Veryveryveryfussy
Philip J, General Manager at Blanket Bay, responded to this reviewResponded March 11, 2014

It’s not often I have to take issue with a review, despite the fact we agree Ruth is a real treasure, whatever she might dream, The Pumas will not overcome the mighty All Blacks in 2015!
It was great fun having you with us, I have passed on your review to all the team. Chef Corey will be particularly pleased to see your comment about his cuisine.
We look forward to seeing you back in August, bring the winter woollies, we’ll have the fires roaring and the red wine breathing.

Reviewed March 9, 2014

We stayed for four nights in March and held our wedding ceremony at Earnslaw Peak. The team where unbelievable and nothing was too much trouble. I would put this venue as one of the best we have encountered in our travels around the world. Thank you to each and every staff member, management and especially Tom for welcoming us into his home. We will be back.

Room Tip: The whole experience makes the stay not just the room. The main building is amazing as are the gard...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank GENERAL_MANAGER_DB

It is really special for us to look after small intimate marriages at the lodge. Yours was particularly fun as you chose to fly to The Earnslaw Burn for the ceremony; this has to be one of the most beautiful places in New Zealand, further more you arranged the most magical weather day for the big event. I have passed your review onto Tom who, like us, gets us enormous pleasure meeting guests and seeing them enjoying the lodge that he and his wife have lovingly created. We look forward to seeing you back every year to celebrate your anniversary!

Reviewed March 7, 2014

We stayed for 3 nights in mid Dec 2013. This was our 3rd lodge in NZ after Huka ( mind blowing ) and Matakauri ( also very good ). Glenorchy is heaven on earth and a must visit. The look and feel of the lodge is more American Ranch meets Ralph Lauren ( dark ) than the contemporary cleaner NZ style at other lodges - though overall its very nice and classy ! The Chalets with State rooms we stayed in were also excellent. The food was sensational to taste - but the portion sizes were laughably miniscule. You could eat a 5 course meal here and still be very hungry !!

My dissapointment with this lodge was the lack of management !! There was no one who came up to us and introduced himself as the lodge manager and we didn't meet him / her for our entire stay. Contrast this with HUKA and Matakauri where the lodge managers were always around and made us feel like family. Further - there wasn't any clear second in command and at times the only staff we'd find in the lodge would be tucked away in the kitchen - it felt like it was their low season and since there were only a couple of guest the manager and the staff had taken off !! Well - after paying so much one does not expect this.

All told we will be going back as Glenorchy as well as the lodge are just too spectacular ! Maybe our bad luck with the management !

Room Tip: Chalets with State Room are awesome !
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Philip J, General Manager at Blanket Bay, responded to this reviewResponded March 9, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review Blanket Bay. First off let me say how disappointed I am you felt I and the management team let you down during your stay with us. I also apologise not personally being here when you stayed as I was indeed overseas at the time on annual leave.
I have investigated your concerns. December is an unusual month; typically it is busy at the start of the month, quiet in the middle as visitors return home for Christmas and very busy from about the 20th onwards when the resort fills up for the holiday season. 2013 was no exception. We would love to be full all the time but it was nice to know you stayed with us during a peaceful period.
During the two full days you were with us, I see from our daily diary notes our duty hosts did book for you the jet boat ride up the beautiful Dart River and a picnic at Lake Sylvan, horse riding on Wyuna Station and the helicopter ride into the beautiful Earnslaw Burn below the hanging glacier, (this is truly one of the prettiest places in New Zealand). This was a great choice on your part to do this surprise flight as part of the birthday celebration which was followed by reserving lunch for you at the ever popular Amisfield Winery.
I have also noted your comments regarding portion sizes and have passed your comments onto our chef. When you return we shall certainly be pleased prepare more fulsome dishes for you.
I can’t promise I will be here when you stay with us next but I can assure you my team and I are committed to ensuring we deliver a comprehensive friendly service to all our guests. If we dropped the ball during your stay in December I do hope you give us a chance to redeem ourselves soon.

Reviewed February 2, 2014

This is a perfect hotel. Location must be one of the best in the world. Rooms exceptionally comfortable with views all round. Food and service are faultless. I so ehow forgot the memory card in my camera and Martin wiped one of his own and gave it to me . Someone then went to queens town to buy a replacement. Nothing too much trouble. Excellent recommendations on what to do in the area. Truly wonderful place would love to come again someday

Room Tip: All are beautiful we had a lodge cottage
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ruthcarnall
Philip J, General Manager at Blanket Bay, responded to this reviewResponded February 8, 2014

We all agree how lucky we are to live and work in this extraordinary environment. This in itself draws a special breed of hospitality staff of which Martin is one. It was a pleasure having you stay with us. Don’t leave it too long before you return. Thank you for choosing Blanket Bay.

Reviewed February 2, 2014

Have just spent 2 nights at Blanket Bay and wish we had been able to stay for longer.
Alright the weather was perfect during our stay so we could really appreciate the amazing scenery but I think it would be spectacular at any time.
We stayed in the Mt Aspiring suite (I did not realise until later that we had been upgraded) which was spacious, comfortable with a "steam shower" and bath as well as walk-in closet, wifi, minibar and Sky TV (so we were able to watch an England rugby match at 6am).
Dinner each night was a 5 course menu. Each dish was very good and portion size well planned. Breakfast was more limited, the buffet could afford more choice and popular choices could be replenished more quickly.
Ruth was on hand to offer advice about local walks and at short notice she organised a helicopter sightseeing flight for us. This was absolutely amazing, one of my top holiday experiences of all time. Not only was the scenery stunning but we were also able to land on a glacier. Yes this was expensive but well worth every dollar!!
The gym (sadly 2 weeks of great food meant that a workout was long overdue) is small but well- equipped with again stunning views which helped to reduce the pain. If only there had been time for a massage too...
I would return to Blanket Bay in a flash if only it wasn't quite so far from home.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple

Ruth was delighted to read your review about Blanket Bay and was so pleased the weather behaved allowing you to take the helicopter to the glaciers and Milford Sound, it is a stunning trip. We were pleased to be able to upgrade you to one of our lodge suites. A good spot to enjoy the rugby, I hope the right side won! As you say two days is a little short to fit in all the delights we have to offer. Never mind our therapist is ready and waiting to give you a deep massage after your long return flight to New Zealand. Come back soon!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Glenorchy
Matakauri Lodge
17 mi away
Heritage Queenstown
Heritage Queenstown
#21 of 59 in Queenstown

Been to Blanket Bay? Share your experiences!