Blanket Bay
$61
$51
  • Restaurant
Nugget Point Queenstown Hotel(Queenstown)(Great Value!)
$350
Hotels.com
$116
$79
  • Restaurant
Coronet View Accommodation(Queenstown)(Great Value!)
$149
Azur(Queenstown)
$1,109
$789
Agoda.com
Mercure Resort Queenstown(Queenstown)(Great Value!)
$107
$135
$125
  • Pool
$68
All reviewsmilford soundluxury lodgegames roomnew zealandsteam roomthe main lodgeour honeymoonhelicopter rideother guestscocktail hourfront lawnbefore dinnergreat roomwalk in closetdart riversouthern alpslake wakatipu
FilterAll languages
Reviewed May 8, 2013

We could not have chosen a better location and residence to celebrate our 30 wedding anniversary than Blanket Bay Lodge.

Set on the edge of Lake Wakatipu, majestic snow capped peaks either side of the lake, sweeping lawns and secluded from the road, this small hotel is exceptional.

We stayed in the Paradise suite and found the room, superb. Comfy bed, warm rustic decor, tastefully decorated as is the whole hotel. Great steam shower and large bath with amazing views of mountains.

The lounges, dining areas for dinner and breakfast are warm and close by. This leads me on to the chef, kitchen staff, maitre 'd and waitresses. Wonderful food, degustation courses that are modern, tasty and pure quality. The attention to detail and one's personal tastes are second to none.

Nothing is too much trouble for this awesome team, from arranging fly fishing guides and helicopter excursions, to picnics and walking poles for a hike through the routeburn as well as spa treatments.

Discreet, professional, knowledgeable and extremely hospitable.

We have had the pleasure of staying in luxury, whether, an African Safari, South American river cruise or New York hotels. None have deserved a 10 out of 10 like Blanket Bay does.

Room Tip: Let the professional staff know your preferences and then go with their selection. They know best.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Philip J, General Manager at Blanket Bay, responded to this reviewResponded May 12, 2013

Thank you, I have posted your wonderful review in the staff room for all to see. For these comments to come from such seasoned travelers is high praise indeed. We were lucky with your stay with us. You had super weather and you certainly took advantage of this, fishing, flight-seeing, hiking and enjoying our spa using the talented therapist we are so happy to have on the team. It was a pleasure looking after you. I know the owners of Blanket Bay will be thrilled to know you enjoyed their lodge so much. Don’t let another 30 years go by before you return!

Reviewed April 19, 2013

My wife and I stayed at Blanket Bay for 3 nights and were blown away by both the lodge and the location. The lodge has a much more intimate feel than the big chain hotels and it almost feels like you are staying at a friends place (all be it a very wealthy friend!). There's the games room, the den (bar), the gym (if you feel you must after all the amazing food), the spa and of course the "great room" with the fire and amazing views. The staff are all very friendly and nothing was too much trouble. All in all a fantastic place for a short get away from "the real world". We stayed in a standard room in the main lodge and while the room itself was great, we would recommend staying in the north end of the lodge, as this end is much quieter due to the fact it is away from the kitchen & dining areas, which we found started to generate a little noise in the early hours of the morning as they prepared for the terrific breakfasts.
Also while the mini bar snacks, soft drinks & beer were complimentary, it would have been great to have something (alcoholic) complementary included for the ladies to drink, rather than just the full size bottles of wine for purchase.

• Stayed: April 2013
Philip J, General Manager at Blanket Bay, responded to this reviewResponded April 21, 2013

Thank you so much for your lovely report about your stay with us. We are so lucky in New Zealand to have a collection of lodges spread through both islands which offer visitors a unique experience away from, as you say, the typical chain hotel accommodation. All of the lodges are privately owned with wonderful locations; each one offers a different experience.
Since your stay with us we have posted some spectacular videos on the Blanket Bay website which I hope will bring back happy memories. When you do come back, please call me from your room and I will have the tipple of your wife's choice sent straight to your room!

Reviewed April 15, 2013

No matter how little time you have, Blanket Bay can transport you (by helicopter) to the priceless beauty of New Zealand's Southern Alps, or slow you right down so you seem to hang motionless in the dramatic landscape of snow-capped cliffs rising almost sheer out of the blue waters of Lake Wakatipu.
The lodge itself, constructed from local schist and timbers from structures across New Zealand and Australia, does not disappoint. A smoky woody aroma envelops you from the moment you are welcomed in, and rooms enjoy super-large beds with spacious bathrooms - and views of the lakes.
Breakfast and dinner are served by charming and unobtrusive staff, and feature local seasonal dishes done to perfection. Run from its inception by Philip Jenkins, this is a magical retreat.

Room Tip: The Lodge Suites are worth investing in - better than the basic Lodge Rooms, but the Suites at each end of the lodge are more private than the Mt Aspiring Suite.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Philip J, General Manager at Blanket Bay, responded to this reviewResponded April 18, 2013

Thank you Quentin for your comments about your stay with us. I must say I had my heart in my mouth when I first saw the title of your report!
You are right, I have been at Blanket Bay from the start. During these 15 years I have surrounded myself with hospitality professionals who are passionate about what they do. There are several who have been with me from the beginning. It is really they who deserve the high praise you give along with the owners of Blanket Bay who created this magical lodge in, as you say, this priceless part of New Zealand's Southern Alps. We hope to see you back with us before too long.

Reviewed April 9, 2013

The most spectacular and special luxury lodge on the planet! I have never stayed in such an incredible setting and location, everything was perfect from the moment we arrived to the moment we left, 7 stars for everything, location, accommodation, the staff the food if it could score 11 out of 10 it would, I don't think I will ever stop talking about it or recommending it to everyone who talks about New Zealand!

Room Tip: Go for a chalet room if you can!
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Nick S
Philip J, General Manager at Blanket Bay, responded to this reviewResponded April 11, 2013

What a great review. There are so many spectacular resorts, lodges and hotels around the world it is great to hear from you Blanket Bay compares to the best you have stayed at. My team and I get tremendous satisfaction from knowing we have given our guests so much pleasure. The owners read every review and also take great pride in the creation of Blanket Bay.
Thank you for your kind words. Come back soon!

Reviewed March 14, 2013

Best place we stayed in our 8 night trip - we stayed 2 nights in a chalet and it was absolutely magnificent - the staff were professional and friendly without pretentiousness. Ruth and Karen were exceptional. Highly recommend

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Philip J, General Manager at Blanket Bay, responded to this reviewResponded March 17, 2013

Thank you for your kind words. Ruth and Karen were both thrilled to get a special mention. All of my team at Blanket Bay are committed to ensuring everyone who stays with us at Blanket Bay goes away with fond memories. We count ourselves lucky to work in the most spectacular surroundings and a privilege to look after guests, who often have come so far, to see this special part of New Zealand. With the frequent direct flights from Australia into Queenstown this magic alpine region is so close. I hope we see you back across the Tasman soon.