“Fantastic Japanese Experience”

Osaka, Japan
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Fantastic Japanese Experience”
Reviewed April 5, 2012

Probably the most local feeling restaurant I visited in Niseko and with great food at great prices. Only restaurant I visited in Niseko where had to take shoes off and sit on floor which added to the authentic atmosphere. It was great to see your fresh food come out to you ready to be cooked by the best chef in the house yourself! Teppanyaki is quite a unique experience and I recommend this to you all! Learning to cook Japanese cuisine is a treat and something you’ll never forget. Not to mention that this fantastic establishment is across the road from we’re we are staying makes this restaurant an easy decision.

• Visited March 2012
deepsteep, Owner at Kabuki 1, responded to this review, October 17, 2013
Thank you for your review, Rene12190380. I am very glad you enjoyed your dining experience at Kabuki! We do our best to ensure that our guests experience teppanyaki and okonomiyaki the way we think it was meant to be experienced! I greatly appreciate you taking the time to review, and hope you will join us again this upcoming season to see our newly renovated and expanded Kabuki! Thanks again.

London, Canada
“Delicious food!”
Reviewed April 2, 2012

We visited Kabuki 1 for dinner and I found it delicious. It is a authentic Japanese style cuisine which is not found that often in Hirafu being Australian dominated. I love the hands on do it yourself atmosphere. Not only was I able to enjoy wondering Japanese food, but I now have a better idea of how to make it at home for myself. I thought making it myself also provided for a interactive feel. Found the staff very friendly and welcoming, and all spoke excellent English. Would definitely recommend this restaurant to people looking for some Japanese food and who don't mind putting a little effort in.

• Visited March 2012
deepsteep, Owner at Kabuki 1, responded to this review, October 17, 2013
Thank you for your review, Kelly D! I am glad you enjoyed your experience at Kabuki 1. We try our best to ensure that we provide an authentic teppanyaki and okonmiyaki making experience and I hope that you’re trying out new recipes at home now! I hope that you will rejoin us this upcoming season to our newly renovated Kabuki. We’re still providing great food and service, but now in an even more welcoming atmosphere.
“Rip off”
Reviewed February 25, 2012

When I'm on a holiday and I go out to dinner I don't like to cook my own food!
The food was poor and the price didn't match.

deepsteep, Owner at Kabuki 1, responded to this review, October 17, 2013
Louisa 183, thank you for your review. I am sorry that Kabuki 1 was not to your expectations. It is a unique ‘DIY’ dining experience intended for guests who would like a closer look at the teppanyaki and okonmiyaki making process. If that is not the type of experience you are looking for, I would like to welcome you over to Kabuki 2. Located right next door to Kabuki 1, Kabuki 2 is for guests who would prefer our professional chefs to serve them authentic Japanese cuisine. We hope you will join us again in your future trips to Niseko. Thank you again.
Perth, Australia
“An expensive unfulfilling experience!”
Reviewed February 19, 2012

We chose Kabuki 1 for the unique (to Westerners!) 'cook-it-yourself' concept (although ironically, it does seem strange to pay someone else when you end up being the chef for the night!). Regardless, we were really excited about the idea after experiencing a few restaurants in Hirafu, sad to say this was the most disappointing. A combination of things made us give this a generous 'ok'.

We ordered the Okonomiyaki Special (Japanese style savoury 'rosti pancake') with potato, cheese and pork (approx. 1900 yen/£15) and the Teppanyaki teriyaki beef (1750 yen/£13). The Okonomiyaki was tasty, although the pork was just 1 piece of bacon chopped in 3, but the teriyaki beef consisted of no more than 6 small cubes of beef and a couple of small pieces of raw cabbage/carrot. We appreciate that Japanese dining is more 'refined' and perhaps we simply chose the wrong type of establishment for our post ski meal.

When I phoned to reserve a table for 8.30pm, we were told 8pm would be better as they closed at 10pm... when we actually cooked our food, consumed a beer and sake, it was all over in about 20-30 mins! 2 hours to eat so little food was being a tad ambitious. Did we miss a trick? Suffice to say we left feeling unsatisfied (quite frankly, starving!), and due to the poor ventilation, our clothes were tainted with a cooking smell for a few days after.

• Visited February 2012
deepsteep, Owner at Kabuki 1, responded to this review, October 17, 2013
Thank you for your review, mejo09. I am very sorry that your experience at Kabuki was not up to standard. We are renovating and expanding Kabuki 1, which should provide better ventilation in the restaurant. Japanese serving sizes also tend to be smaller than western style meals, so I apologize that the serving size was not to your expectation. We do our best to ensure that we serve the best quality ingredients for the cost. Thank you again.
Melbourne, Australia
“Okinomiyaki - a great dish!!!”
Reviewed April 2, 2011

Having travelled throughout Japan I was first introduced to okinomiyaki in Hiroshima several years ago. Catching the shuttle back from skiing one afternoon through the village of Hirafu, I saw a sign for okinomiyaki at Kabuki Restaurant. Okinomiyaki is a type of savoury pancake laden with vegetables and your choice of meat, though squid is the traditional meat. It is all held together by a batter. You cook it yourself at Kabuki on a hot plate at your table. Once cooked you put a special sauce & mayonnaise over it and then wash it down with a couple of beers. It is a tasty hearty (& cheap) meal.

Kabuki can be found by going to Seicomart on the main road and opposite that is a street with Australia House on the corner. About 100m down this street is Kabuki. It doesn't open until 6.00pm.

• Visited March 2011
deepsteep, Owner at Kabuki 1, responded to this review, October 17, 2013
Thank you so much for your review, Michael2810! I am glad you enjoyed your Okonomiyaki experience at Kabuki! We are expanding and renovating Kabuki 1 and hope that you are able to join us again this season for another dose of Okonomiyaki during your next ski trip. Thanks again.