“Miracle at Club Med Sahoro”

Club Med Sahoro Hokkaido
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“Miracle at Club Med Sahoro”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 19, 2014

There are many trips that we have embarked on in the past but, few of them bring back fond memories....until we discovered Club Med in Sahoro, Hokkaido, Japan!

The experience was all too short and six days seemed to have gone by so very quickly. The Club Med family led by Ryan, Ghazzo, Cat, Declan, Tam Tam, Abi, Tisna, Manami, Robel, Agung and many others were simply an amazing bunch of guys! It was this new family that adopted us versus vice versa. Unlike any other resort or destination we have been to before...the welcome was so warm, genuine, fun and full of passion and life. Each and every one of those in Sahoro was a wonderful friend to each of us. Its as though we have met and been friends with each of them for a lifetime. The experience went beyond simple and typical hospitality found in other hotels we have experienced before. And, we don't believe you can find anything equivalent anywhere else that comes anywhere close...

It must be said that there was a heart-rendering moment when we stayed at Sahoro when we personally witnessed a Special Needs child skiing down the slope all by himself with his Guest Officer safely beside him. It goes beyond any words to describe. This simple goes to show that the staff of Club Med Sahoro try as best they can to realise every person's dream, no matter their own limitations and abilities, to be able to enjoy the wonders of mother nature as well as learn to ski.

To be honest, it was challenging enough for my wife and I to learn to ski as beginners. But for Declan, a wonderful and talented ski instructor, to instil the confidence and to bring unceasing smiles to my own Asperger daughter, Myra, was a very special moment which we both never thought we would personally witness. To simply enjoy her moment and to share in her new found wonderment meant the whole world to us. For this special moment in Myra's life, we have a whole lifetime to thank Declan, whom we wish every success in his pursuits in dentistry in Adelaide, Australia. If it was not for Declan, Myra would not have found her new found abilities and joy. Now we need to replicate these special moments for Myra whom seem to yearn for more! It would almost certainly be tough to top the Sahoro skiing experience for her...

Besides the hospitality, we were most blessed to witness the beauty of the mountains and the incredible snow of Sahoro...its simply god's gift to the world! Every day was magical! The quality of the snow was like nothing on earth...soft, fluffy and miles deep! There were so many occasions when we could not find our knees let alone the skis. Its as though the place was enveloping and embracing us as we came down the mountain of Sahoro...

There is so much more accolades we could shower on the staff but, only personal experience of being there could possibly describe the moment.

We wish everyone at Sahoro every success in all your future endeavours and we shall certainly look forward to bringing Myra back to enjoy her wonderful and magical moments once again!

2 Thank Mizismail

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2014

Just back from two weeks skiing. Some awesome powder and an all around great time. Club Med don't just sell holidays or accommodation or skiing .... they sell fun. The ambiance in the village is so great it completely makes up for their not being an actual village outside the hotel.

A fantastic hard-working GO team who go hard trying to make sure you enjoy yourself. The kids were extremely well looked after from a great Mini-club team headed up by Diego - gratz to you man - they got my kids dressed and out skiing every day and looked after them even so I could enjoy an hour of apres-ski at the end of the day ! And among so many its hard to single people out but Ryan the Chef was ominpresent. The ski-team had some great guys on-board - esp thanks to Paul-Emile, Pierre and Yutaro, Bruno and Ian. As well as Josef, Phoebe and Steve for looking after the kids so well - even my four year old got up on her first chair lift. So many other excellent GOs who we enjoyed Robel the ski-director and William the assistant ski school director, Chris, Greg-O, Chloe and many others.

The bar team - esp Yuki and Nic (the Aussie) were fantastic and worthy of recognition. Espresso Martini's after dinner a fave !

Great food if a little limited in plain options for the kids and I did miss that there wasn't any hot chocolate/hot wine reception after a day's skiing....

Rooms are basic and small but comfortable and you don't spend a lot of time in them so I didn't really notice. Bathrooms/shower pods in room are very 3 star - functional but cramped

Would definitely go again !!!

2 Thank Simon H
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 16, 2014

This was a great holiday for a newbie to skiing.

I have to congratulate all the staff at club med Sahoro for a stress free holiday at a great resort. Everything was so easy from the ski hire which was held open late for us, to the room introduction to the ski school and general entertainment for the kids.

Ski hire - not included in the price, but Emile and the staff were very helpful even re-waxing my skis half way though the holiday.

Ski school - not sure what other reviewers found but for us most classes were no more than eight people, all instructors were from either England, Scotland or Wales so language was no issue, level taught was good so I can basically ski now within reason. A big thanks to James, Cameron, Tom, Chris and Kerri.

Chair lifts - very little queuing and staff very courteous on all lifts.

Food - I didn't loose any weight, if you have a problem with the food then you must eat very well at home. There is a good selection of western and Japanese meals. The have speciality dishes every night, pasta is available and rice every evening for those kids with a limited palette. Beer on tap and wine available and plenty of juices and soft drinks available. Desserts, cheeseboard and fresh bread counter are excellent. For interest Japanese bread does not seem to toast well and the toaster is very slow, so for breakfast this would be the only complaint.

Drinks - good selection and cocktails well worth a go!

Transport from Sapporo Chitose - depending on snow this may take up to 2.5 to 3 hours. For info the bus desk is on floor 1F of the domestic terminal at the domestic tours desk in front of the JAL arrivals area.

Mini club med - from 8.30 am to 5pm the kids have a great time from the basics of skiing through to putting on live shows in the theatre. My daughter had a great time and was skiing down the large slopes by the end of the week. I would recommend Club Med just for this if you have kids they really are kept going from dawn to dusk.

The resort rooms are good if not a little warm so we kept our window open all week, and the temperature was just great. Ensure you turn on the humidifier which keeps your throat, nose and skin in a nice condition. very easy to use. Make sure you play with the toilet seat to get a warm seat and warm water for the bidet.

Ryan and the GO's should be congratulated for energy level as they just kept going and going and going!

A great holiday,

Tip: There is limited general consumables or chemists supplies so a pack of the basics pain killers, etc is a good idea to carry with you. Also Japanese chemists may speak limited English so if there is a particular medicine you require then best to take with you.

2 Thank PaulSofPerth
bangkok
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2014

We are from Bangkok!! Before we planned we read many great reviews abt Club Med Sahoro.
On arrival at Club Med we were all greeted by the Village Chief, Ryan, then the GO showed us around and told us everything we needed to know. Every Go was readily available all the time to help out.
On the 1st day we arrived the kids we already participating in the kids performance that same night. We were more concerned abt being outdoors since this is our first time actually seeing real powder snow. The snow was just perfect.
The next day, we were late for the 1st ski lesson but managed to get along. Special thanks to GO James our ski instructor, it was like having a personal instructor with us. The kids also enjoyed skiing very much.
We had just 2 full days for skiing (3 nights package), which later we realized was never enough. But great for 1st time experience.
This is our best trip and we will always cherish, special thanks to the Chief, who participated in all shows, and all the GO's who were available everywhere. They all put out gr8 shows every night, the kids loved the Olympics esp the boxing and 100 meters.
Will surely recommend anyone planning a ski trip to go to Club Med Sahoro, it's a piece of HEAVEN ON EARTH. Again THANK YOU everyone at Club Med Sahoro.
Will surely go back again if opportunity arise.

1 Thank Amrin S
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2014

This was our 2nd trip, our 1st was last year. We are a bunch of beginners & the all-inclusive ski lessons are perfect for us.

This year’s GO team made our stay more memorable than last year's. I didn’t realize a GO team could make such a difference. It was an interesting observation for people in the hospitality industry.

Ghazzo & his team made our check-in smooth & fuss free. Great for returning guests.

The hard-working Village Chief, Ryan, participated in every night show. He saw skier’s off every morning and took the trouble to chat with as many of the guests as he could.

For the kids, it helps a lot if they have a friend at the kids club they could approach for help since parents aren’t always at hand. Fortunately, this year, there was Diego, whom they liked a lot. He took the trouble to remember their names & was kind & helpful.

There were some new and young ski instructors this year. We had Sheldon, Kerri & Gregory (NZ), whose company & lessons we enjoyed more than last year’s. The more senior Yojiro (call him Tiger) gave us a good lesson. We appreciated him giving us individual attention where he could.

The kids liked their ski instructors more this year too. They really enjoyed learning from Ken, Ben, Jake, Takuma & Dan. They said that they were treated well, learnt a lot & had lots of fun. Kids have 2 hands but 10 votes on where to go next year.

We will continue to savour the Christmas Eve feast until next Christmas.

It looks like for an enjoyable stay, there must be good food, good skiing & a good kid’s club team.

This year’s GO team did not let the Club Med brand down but the weather did. The snow was poor this year. Parts of the pistes were icy, slippery & bumpy. Patches of grass were visible at some parts & this was the last week of December. There were even some stones that will leave scratches on your skis & on your face if you fall onto them.

A ski instructor explained that the geography of Hokkaido is such that Sahoro does not get as much snow as Niseko, Furano etc.

We would love to return Club Med Sahoro but would think twice simply because of the weather. What a shame!

PS: I pity next year’s GO team having to follow after such a great team

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Hong Kong, China
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2014 via mobile

I came here for a snowboarding trip. I have been to previous Club Meds, and this was definitely one of the best. I flew from Tokyo, and at the airport there I took the shuttle bus to the resort. I actually arrived earlier than expected, so I asked the woman holding the Club Med sign if I could get on the earlier bus, and I did. The bus actually went to two resorts, but the other one was also on the way.
When I got there, I was greeted by lots of staff, and the intro was done by lovely staff (thanks Cat!) We quickly got to our rooms, and we walked around the resort. Firstly, (of course) we went to the ski rental. There was staff to help us out, and that was quite quick. Then, we checked it the bar. There were lots of different drinks to chose from, ranging from mojitos to milkshakes.
At the buffet, there were lots of different foods, like sashimi and pasta. I really like the fact that there were multicultural people from around the world in this resort. The GOs were really nice, but the GEs( staff that worked part time- Thanks for clearing that up for me, Naomi!) only spoke Japanese(most of them) but were also really kind.
The next day, I went snowboarding. The teachers all spoke English, and it was great fun. If you have kids, it's great to put them in the Kids Club (mini club med) since the staff can take care of them until 4, and that includes all lunch. They have their own little place if they are beginners, which is useful.
At this resort, the ski slopes was shared with another resort, the one I mentioned earlier with the shuttle bus, I do believe. Great and fun slopes, and perfect for beginners. If you are pro, the black routes are perfect for you. Thanks Dan for bringing me to Chairlift 2. I would probably suggest you to go to 2&6, since it was really fun if you're a not much of a beginner but don't want to go the the harder ones. The staff at the chairlift do not speak English, but they try to communicate with you and only ask for your ski pass, which you can get from the reception. If you want to join a class, you can always do that by signing up near the ski room, where you can put your skis, poles, boots and snowboards. They also have charts to see how good the son is for the day.
Moving to our rooms. It was not very spacious, and it was a bit shabby than newer Club Meds. It was not very spacious, and the window in my room can not open that big, only enough to poke my head out. The water pressure in the shower was terrible. The toilet was separate, and the room could not use wifi like they said. The landline did not work when I was there, and the wifi in the lobby was terrible. For some reason there were two closets. The mini fridge did not work, but the beds were comfy.
There was also a pool, Canadian bath, Ofuro (Japanese bath), a spa and a jacuzzi. The table tennis tables were a bonus, too. You can also find different excursions, but I did not go. Every night there was a dress theme and a show, which I didn't go since it was late.
During my stay my mom hurt her leg, and turns out the nearest hospital was really far away. The first aid wasn't a lot of help. Luckily, there was a Orthopaedic doctor there, and he helped my mom out. You always meet someone new at this place!
I really want to thank some people, since I didn't have the time to before I left.
Thanks to the Mini Club guys (and girls) for the great time
Thank You, Dan and Greg, for the fabulous time snowboarding.
And Thank You, Bruno, for helping my mom up the slope when she crashed. (Ps: Please don't blame Dan for me crashing through your class, it was really my fault. Sorry!)
Overall I love this resort, and I'd probably stay here again. I will give it a 9/10.
Thanks to everyone who helped us during our stay and giving us a great time.

Stayed December 2013
Kuala Lumpur, Wilayah Persekutuan, Malaysia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2013 via mobile

My family, fiancé and I (14 of us in total) went from Perth, WA to Sahoro, Japan for a white Christmas on the ski slopes. This was my first trip to Japan and also to a Club Med.

Not only were we all spoilt for choice with activities, thoroughly indulged with delicious food, but we were treated like family by all the staff.

On Christmas Eve we were given an absolute feast (including lobster, and masses of seafood, dessert was a chocolate fountain) and even toasted with bubbly after the fantastic variety show put on by all the staff.

My 2 year old niece went into the petit club for a day (also her first experience of day-care) where she was looked after by a team of the kindest child minders I've ever met.
She loved the whole team!

A special 'Thank You' goes to Anthony, Ghazzo, Chilli and Ryan for the fabulous time we all had.

Thoroughly recommended staying here with a family or large group.

See you next time, Ryan and team!!

Love Jonita, Oscar and the family x

Stayed December 2013
2 Thank Joscar100514
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shintoku-cho
Sahoro Resort Hotel
#1 of 1 in Minamifurano-cho
Pension  Ing Tomamu
Pension Ing Tomamu
#1 of 5 in Shimukappu-mura

Been to Club Med Sahoro Hokkaido? Share your experiences!