“Amazing staff”

Club Med Sahoro Hokkaido
Reviewed February 26, 2013

We just came back from our 2nd stay at Club med Sahoro and our children (8 and 14 years old) are already asking when we will go back again. We spent a fantastic week and we thank the GOs and staff for making our vacation so special and enjoyable.
Our daughter had an amazing time - she particularly enjoyed ice skating, the limbo contest and performing in the two children night shows. Our son had so much fun snow boarding. In the afternoons, he played ping pong and in the evenings he hanged out at the bar.
We thought it would be boring to eat at the buffet all the time. It wasn't at all. There was a lot of variety and every day we had new dishes. Food was fresh and excellent. We loved the seafood. I have a sweet tooth and dessert was to die for. My husband is a bread lover and he really enjoyed Chef Julien's breads. We followed the recommendation of Chef Puchon and Mahen and had dinner once at Mina Mina. Again, great food and excellent service. Do not miss the sorbet, it is so refreshing. Many thanks to the whole restaurant team.
The GO's at the mini club were amazing with my daughter. Many thanks to Rio, Dada, Barbara and Yurie.
Thanks to Alvin. Ice fishing was an awesome experience. Eating the fish piping hot on the frozen lake was epic.
Thanks to Mobeen. His fitness classes were fun and friendly and yet my husband and I had killer workouts.
Thanks to Kenny. The limbo contest and the sega dance are unforgettable.
Thanks to Shirichino, Mai, Kei and Ed for their great ski lessons.
Thanks to Hisami, Tomo, Go, and Chris for their great snow boarding tips and advices.
Thanks to Adi and Daniel for their friendliness and wonderful smile.
Last but certainly not least, special thanks to Manu for preparing us such amazing drinks and showing us his magic tricks. His paper roses are now on our daughter's desk. Our kids wish they could still have some Snowman, Baby Monkey and Kakigoris.

Room Tip: We had 2 triple rooms last year but it was not convenient as they were not connected. This time, we...
1  Thank Kate W

Reviewed February 26, 2013

This was my 11th time (10th year) in Club Med Sahoro and I never fail to have the best week of my life here. The food is absolutely amazing, and the service is better here than any other club med, probably due to the majority of the staff being Japanese. They provide a lot of Japanese cuisine, including traditional Hokkaido dishes, as well as their usual pasta, chicken nuggets, fries etc. (kids menu) and it all tastes delicious. Then, of course, there is the amazing fun atmosphere of Club Med, with great GOs around. I would like to point out certain GOs - Marion from reception, William from the ski school and Maya, the singer. They were such great people to talk to and hang out with. As I've grown up and come to this resort I've noticed some changes in the resort - the majority of them good ones. I love the new circus they have installed in the theatre they have after ski class, as a Club Med regular I've grown to love the circus so I was delighted to see that the ski resort now provided circus too!
I think Club Med is perfect for any type of trip (except maybe business), whether its a couple or a group of young adults or a family of 4. I recommend it highly, despite it's price, it is truly an experience that could never be forgotten.

Reviewed February 25, 2013

Sadly everything that compensated for the basic club med facilities had disappeared. The snow is great in Sahoro, the slopes are not very long but uncrowded and but if you can get this cheaper elsewhere you may want to consider another hotel. The Canadian, Australian & other native speaking instructors have been largely replaced by Japanese instructors who often have the introductory comment that they don't speak much english & teach a skiing style completely opposite to the western instructors, this style is fine but is very confusing when you have a Japanese instructor for half a day & western for the other half. The instructors were very keen in the afternoon to consolidated groups of around 6 into larger goups so some could have the afternoon off to ski or relax; great for them but not the students.
The manager was largely absent & I wasn't aware who he was until he was on the departing bus & his staff aked everyone to give high marks on any club med email survey a very different approach from the previous lady who was very visible around the hotel during dinner & every showtime. The shows was also noticeably less in quantity, quality & enthusiasm; largely replaced by guest shows, there were no additional show (ice skating, discos etc) like previous years & the circus team weren't very well rehearsed.The restaurant food is fine if a little unvaried but I was a little disappointed as the chef brought out 'specials' for the french guests(Club med being French) making other guests feel second class, he brought out two racks of lamb insisted they ate the whole portion even though they didn't want it & refused to give to other guests the same upon request! The restaurant is also very poorly ventilated & you clothes will be infused with the food aromas. The staff was generally less enthusiastic about greeting & servicing guests than previous years.

2  Thank familyman888
Reviewed February 24, 2013

My husband really wanted us to go to Club Med Sahoro for holiday. I was a bit skeptical. The trip was quite a bit more expensive than our usual vacations. I thought it would be better to go to Niseko or another Hokkaido resort on our own. We are a reserved family (two kids 9 yrs and 5 yrs old) who tend to stick to ourselves rather than socialize with strangers. After our trip, I have to say in writing: my husband was right!

We spent a long day traveling and arrived at Chitose Airport, not quite sure where to go (go to Group Tours, ground floor at the far end of the domestic terminal, counter 6). We finally arrived at the resort after a 2 hour bus ride. Honestly, I found the exuberant and cheerful welcome at our entrance to be a bit much. Everyone around us was so happy.

We rented our equipment there. It was a bit of a wait and not cheap, but subsequent changes and adjustments were very quick and easy. I was worried that eating at the buffet restaurant 3 times a day would get old. But actually, I enjoyed each meal, and not having to decide where to eat was refreshing.

Overall, we had an amazingly wonderful vacation. While each aspect of the resort was good (rooms, food, amenities, activities), I think the real value comes from all the little things that are noticed only when something goes wrong. Nothing went wrong on our visit! The entire place was spotless. The G.O.s were incredibly helpful and friendly and pleasant at all times. Not an easy task with grumpy travelers, kids running amok, and everyone speaking in different languages. Not once did I get a "that's not my job" response to any of my requests. Even the ladies vacuuming the hallways in the morning were pleasant. The G.O. helped with our kids all the time (picking up dropped gloves, helping get juice at the buffet, etc.) - not just while on their watch. I felt comfortable allowing my children to run around the club on their own, which let me relax and actually enjoy my own vacation rather than catering to my family's needs the entire time. The Club is very well organized - one afternoon I saw my daughter on the mountain with her class, and wanted her to ski with me. The instructor had a form and pen on her, so I was able to sign her out on the spot and enjoy the rest of the afternoon with her. The checkout process at the end of our holiday took about 30 seconds. The last night of the stay, we all (kids included) enjoyed the dancing and festivities. By the end of our stay, we were happy and exuberant! And my kids learned to ski! And, except for the day that we arrived at the Club, they never even ASKED for iPad time.

We are Americans living in Shanghai. We've also vacationed in Thailand, Singapore, Vietnam as well as other locations within greater China. Club Med Sahoro is by far and away the best vacation we've had, and we are anxious to plan other trip there before we relocate back to the States.

2  Thank Julie W
Reviewed February 16, 2013

I stayed in the resort with my 2 boys, 6 and 7 years old, for 5 days right before Chinese New Year. My husband could not make it due to work. This was our 1st stay at a Club Med resort. The friendly staff made my stay with 2 energetic boys easy and enjoyable. We all enjoyed ski. The GOs and ski coaches were excellent. But there is one thing they need to improve is that they need more ski coaches. 1 coach for 13-15 kids in the mini club is not the right ratio. We would like to see 1 coach to 7-8 kids. It was also difficult to book private lessons too due to shortage of coaches.

1  Thank annecHongKong
Reviewed February 14, 2013

I loved the genuine friendliness from all the GO's, thanks for helping to make our hoilday extra special. A special thanks to Chris for being so patient teaching me beginning skiing and Roland for his amazing snow boarding! Thanks to the excellent GO's at mini club, especially Melissa, Anges and Dada! And thanks to Manu for the great drinks at the bar.

• Stayed: January 2013
2  Thank PembyMum
Reviewed February 8, 2013

We got back from our 8-day holidays at Club Med Sahoro last night (this was the 5th time for my husband and I, but 1st time with our 4.5-year old son), our muscles are still burning from the snowboarding and skiing, but we thoroughly enjoyed every minute of our stay there. The GO's were all extremely friendly and did everything they could to make our stay most enjoyable. Our son loved the snow and was very fond of the mini club GO's. They loved children and were patient and fun. The snow condition was amazing and the instructors were well qualified and very professional. We learned and improved so much from the lessons, not to mention the fun we had and the wonderful powder snow we went for! This season they were a little short of ski and snowboard instructors though, we tried to organise a private lesson for our son but was unable to get one due to instructor shortage. Our son looked forward to the show every night and loved dancing with everyone! We had a fabulous time and will definitely go again next winter!!

1  Thank smylinkau
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shintoku-cho
Sahoro Resort Hotel
#3 of 8 in Shintoku-cho
Hotel Fusui
Hotel Fusui
#1 of 6 in Shikaoi-cho

Been to Club Med Sahoro Hokkaido? Share your experiences!