“Better than we even hoped!”

Club Med Sahoro Hokkaido
Reviewed January 26, 2013

I am always using Trip Advisor and so I read the many positive reviews about this Club Med and then some of the complaints...I like to take a balanced view!

Let me asure you...any 'concerns' about food or the rooms were unfair...we travel a lot and I thought the whole property was fabulous..rooms, food and the staff.

This was our first skiing trip and we could not have had a better initiation! Even with two accidents and a trip to the local hospital...we would still say this was an amazing experience! The GOs and GMs were all so friendly...and so nice to my wounded son and husband!

We travelled from Sydney to Tokyo and then on to Obihiro which took about 90 minutes by bus.
Glad it wasn't any further though! We just wanted to get there.

My kids, aged 14 and 12, felt home there immediately. We knew they were safe...and they would just go to their room when they wanted too...or off to meet new friends.

Special thanks to Yuki who went with my husband and son to the local hospital and acted as interpreter. She was a star!

The rooms were large...we had two and it was perfect. The bathrooms were the one downside. But luckily I read on Trip Adviser that is is a good idea to take two rooms rather than a quad as two small bathrooms are better than one!

Ok you might balk at the price. But friends pay more than this for a week at Thredbo (in Australia) without lift tickets and meals...so all in all..value for money! Especially if you like a post skiing drink!

We met one Australian family who had been 10 times to this Club Med! There were many other guests that had been at least 3 times!

As the big man in the movies says..."we'll be back"!!!

Room Tip: Ask for two rooms rather than a Quad! You will need two bathrooms!
1  Thank Holidayhumphs

Reviewed January 20, 2013

We have 2 young children and Club Med Sahoro took great care of the kids and they made many friends. We ski without having to worry about the kids. The resort offers more than just ski. There were so many activities and fun things to do beside skiing. Food is great and changed everyday.

Reviewed January 20, 2013

Many people told us before we left that the snow in Japan was the best place to learn for beginners, and they were right. My family and I were there for just over a week and it snowed nearly everyday which was perfect for me being a beginner snowboarder spending most of my time on my bottom. With the fresh powder I never ended up hurting my bottom. My family and I enjoy the Club Med atmosphere as everynight there was always something to do starting off with a show than followed by the dancing at the bar. Club Med Sahoro was the third Club Med we have experienced and if tomorrow I could get on a plan and go on a holiday to Club Med I would gladly go. As we have meet so many amazing people as all the staff are so kind and cheerful and so easy to get along with. My favourite GO would have to be Manu (Emmanuel Salomon) he made me my speacial drink everynight without me even asking, all I had to do was smile and say one please, he showed me and my family magic which he is unbelievable and very talented, he made me a flower out of a napkin. Just overall all staff members said hello and put a smile on your face. I would recommed any Club Med destinations :)

1  Thank Kylee-Ann T
Reviewed January 15, 2013

Arriving:
- bus agent at new chitose airport has a tiny sign and is hard to find
- bus to resort from new chitose is over two hours with a comfort stop two thirds in
- most guests prefer the local airport (Obiharo) unless they flew CathyPacific direct
- they overload you on arrival, just get your ski passes from reception and book your lessons for tomorrow before dinner

Staying
- Japanese deluxe rooms very comfortable and big enough for 2 adults 2 kids
- cleanliness and attention to detail wonderfully Japanese (even if not everything is new)
- food includes the usual low common denominators but if you focus on the specials then world class (and we travel a lot)
- few visitors bother with the higher quality paid wine and the bar serves many premium drinks for free
- staff and service quality is stunning (think Westin intellect staff with a sense of fun and some glamour)

Resort
- snow and weather amazing both trips we have made
- stunning range of facilities for all
- try to avoid sat and sun for 5 day trips as the locals triple the very light traffic on the lifts (the resort was planned for 8 hotels and there are just 2)
- kids find it a magical place due to make your own ice creams, slurpies, chocolate fountains and constant entertainment (pantomines to mini circuses) and child care options
- swim pool perfect but accessible from the change rooms for toddlers (dangerous) and the lift doors don't have touch sensors so with all the powder outside are the largest source of bruises
- shows can be hit or miss but are generally surprisingly good, the adjacent bar always has a buzz if the show is not to your taste
- club med has closed down its lower quality resorts and appears to have dropped much of the kitschy singalong club feel so now is more akin to a high quality cruise ship experience, and for those families who travel together a luxury ski club due to a sense of privacy and community

Cost
- Return transfers to new chitose 5000 yen, less than half the price travel agent charged
- No cost and little hassle to bring your own skis and invest the 1000 usd rental cost in your own equipment
- not cheap so book early to get the early bird discount

Net net: much greater than the sum of its parts, would recommend as your first choice for a family ski holiday for families filled with beginners and advanced intermediates who are not on a budget

6  Thank Busibusiman
Reviewed January 14, 2013

This was our first time staying with a club med and it was awesome. We stayed as a family of six in 2 rooms. We were greeted with hot towels and tea upon check in, where upon we were taken for a tour through the premises and shown were kids club, ski hire, restaurants, bar and our rooms were. Very welcoming.
We had to pay for lunch on the first day as we arrived well before check in time.
Kids club was amazing. Our 3 kids, aged 5,7 and 8 loved it. They got to put on a mini club show for all the adults on one night. They were also all presented with ski medals for the levels they had attained in there ski classes. Great for us to be able to spend the day ski-ing knowing that the kids were so well looked after. Kids club runs from 8.30 through to 4pm.
The rooms were neat and tidy and were remade every day with fresh sheets and towels.
The food at the buffet was very good with a huge variety to satisfy anyone. There was always a roast of the day, noodles, soups, heaps of specialty bread etc. the beer pouring machine in the restaurant is amazing, I want one for home.
The bar area was a great place to meet every afternoon after a day on the slopes, and pretty much anything you want to drink is included in the package. Bar staff were also very friendly and catered to the kids awesomely.
The GO's were awesome. Every single one of them was friendly and made you feel like part of the family. They even went as far as learning all out kids names by the end of the first day, an amazing touch that made us feel very much a part of it all.
Ski lessons were ample and catered for every skill level.
Internet is available though you need to go to reception to get a password and ID. Would have been nice to be told this when you arrived and checked in. Also the ski passes were again available for pickup from reception but this was not mentioned at check in.
Ski and snowboard hire is not cheap ( cost us approx $1480 for 3 adult and 3 child) but it was good equipment and fitted to you.
All in all this was a fantastic holiday with the kids with everything you could want included. We will definitely be saving up to go again soon.

1  Thank Brett F
Reviewed January 10, 2013

It was our 5th stay at CM Sahoro. I will comment not on the absolute level of quality, but rather on how it evolved relatively to previous years.

The high: circus team is top this season, with up to 4 GOs on the ropes/trapeze, very professional and impressive, remarkable considering all 4 just came in. New this year: circus with GMs everyday 4~5pm.

The low: who's in charge of comedy ? The level of fun elements in shows is clearly downhill since the great Ketut was sent to CM in China two years ago. Most shows now seem to be left-overs from his legacy, half-hearted executed. Ketut was a genius of comedy who could improvise and was deeply involved in his act, kids laughed of course but adults laughed also on a different level. I saw him in Kabira and he was brilliant there as well. Sahoro needs someone of his caliber back.

The restaurant is slowly turning into North Asian cuisine at the expense of South Asia flavors. Indonesian, Thai dishes are mostly gone. Instead, a smell of kimchi covers the whole salad bar. Not to my taste; is that what the global clientele wants ?

Philippe replaced Lydia as General Manager. Well he doesn't have her energy and commitment. When she was on stage, she would instantly hypnotise the crowd, get everyone involved, she was a show in herself. She seemed to be very well interacting with the staff, maybe Philippe needs more time for that. Or maybe she was simply exceptionnal.

Robell is now head of the ski school, well deserved promotion, very good team there as usual. Ryo still in his perfect environnement as Mini Club head, total success despite the high number of kids during our stay. Excellent and friendly bar and boutique staff as usual, and no complaints anywhere else.

4  Thank nsa_sya
Reviewed January 9, 2013

My first time in ClubMed. I went with my husband and 2 sons aged 22 and 18. We were told by Club Med we would be met by their staff at the New Chitose Airport for the coach transfer to the resort. Having waited at the arrival hall for 30 mins, we decided to ask around and was then told to go to a counter where they might have Club Med staff there. Then the staff at that counter instructed us to wait for the coach at another point at the airport. Obviously this was not good enough service.
When we finally get to the resort, we were welcomed by the staff followed by orientation which went all smoothly. The rooms we were staying were standard rooms. The rooms were in need of renovation. They looked very tired and the bed linens were old and ugly. The toilet was most disappointing and claustrophobic. My room was overlooking the ski slopes and it's great.
I would say at least 90% of the guests were from Singapore. There were children everywhere. Every table except our had at least a child. At the restaurant it was like a merry-go-round. Cheerful enough but not the kind of atmosphere we wanted.Occasionally there were staff joining us for the dining which was quite enjoyable. The buffet food at the restaurant was disappointing. We were hoping to have more Japanese food. Food quality was very average and the Chinese food was disgusting. I used the indoor swimming everyday and it hardly had anyone there before 3pm. The ski shop only hires out ski gears and they do not sell ski parka & pants.

Room Tip: ask for a newly renovated room if they have any
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank MaroochydoreLam
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shintoku-cho
Sahoro Resort Hotel
#3 of 8 in Shintoku-cho
Hotel Fusui
Hotel Fusui
#1 of 6 in Shikaoi-cho

Been to Club Med Sahoro Hokkaido? Share your experiences!