All reviews coin operated shower room limo bus american village cottage ac tv supermarket amenities airport location
Selected filters
Reviewed September 30, 2018

I have the cottage near to the beach for my stay. If you booked for the cottage, you need to check in and out at the main building which is on a different side but short walking distance, Small little room with TV, bed and coin-operated aircon 100 yen for 4 hours works out well. The shared bathroom with hot shower was fine, the shared kitchen(need some cleaning and updo) you can use and the place were not noisy, so able to rest well after a full day out, A lot of restaurants and a supermarket nearby. Walking distance to American Village. To get Hamby, simply take the limo bus 720 yen from the airport. Overall, If you are not a fussy person, this place is good.

Date of stay: September 2018
1  Thank Mary L
Reviewed May 17, 2017

Do not let the word resort fool you, this is NOT a resort.
Cottage 311:
Its called a cottage but It is more like a tin shed. The fan is kept on all day and A/C is 500 yen a day extra. It is just one room with a small single mattress, thick blanket, low desk and a big flat screen tv (no usb port to bring your own movies sorry! limited channels) and A/C unit. I went in May which was hot but not that hot so i didnt need to use A/C but i imagine in the hotter months A/C would be necessary as there is no ventilation in the room. There was enough room for my carry on luggage and a place for me to put my shoes. Very small quarters, good for one but would be tight for 2. No wifi in the cottages.

Location: The place is very easy to find, you can catch a Limo bus from Naha airport which is cheaper than catching the local bus (around 900 yen). The limo booth is right at the exit of airport. The bus takes around 1 hr to get there, get off at The Tower Chatan and walk 10 minutes. A cab here from the airport cost 4000 yen.
The place is split into the shared dorms and private cottages. The cottages are right next to the beach - like 1 minute walk to the pathway. Amazing location.

You can walk for 12 minutes to American Village, there is a big shopping centre and big Daiso about 5-6 minute walk in the opposite direction for cheap groceries. There are plenty of restaurants near the cottages though and there's 4 on the same small road.

3 showers and 2 toilets for woman, these are not renovated or high tech. They are very basic and could do with an update if I am honest. It looks a little dirty. There is a tiny kitchen with one stove cooker. And a microwave. Rice and eggs are free so that is a great bonus for breakfast! Oil and condiments provided. Towels, shampoo, conditioner and body wash provided.

Staff
Staff can speak very little English but can help. Tours should be researched on your own and as they couldn't provide much assistance.

Local Bus:
The local bus 20 and 120 are great buses to get you to the Aquarium if you wanted to visit. Staff can help with the bus timetables, it took about 2 hours one way.

I think this is a great place for travellers on budget and who dont spend alot of time in their rooms. It really is amazing for location and the beach is a family friend beach. There is just the basics provided and the place is shabby. The vibe around the area is very chilled, you will alot of Western cuisine in the area and not much Japanese food. I recommend for those who can rough it and just want to be near the beach.

Date of stay: May 2017
Reviewed March 4, 2016

I would not call this a resort, more like a hostel but such a lovely place!

Rooms:
Cozy
Could be a bit cleaner but at this price, can't complain

Premises:
Nice rooftop area for relaxing, making friends, having a bbq
Cozy
Great location, borrow a bicycle for free and you can explore the beach which is just about 5 minutes or less away or the Chatan shopping district

Staff:
Polite and friendly

Date of stay: April 2015
  • Trip type: Traveled with friends
Reviewed February 4, 2016

The room is very basic--bed, coffee table, lamp stand. It did have a flat screen TV with about 6 Japanese stations. The floor is linoleum and was stained. There was something running down one of the walls. The bed was a bit firm, but comfortable enough. In order to get to the bathroom, you have to walk in an exterior, but covered walkway. The decking was wet when raining. The exterior doors are never locked and often standing open. It was in the 50's when I was there, so it was quite cold in the walkways and the unheated bathroom. The bathroom had two stalls and two locking showers. I think the bathroom was the nicest part of the stay. They had a free washer and paid dryer. The lobby had a table for playing cards and two computers. They also had a small kitchen for guest use.
A lot of things went wrong the last day of my stay. The heater in my room stopped working. The hotel staff offered to allow me to move rooms, but initially I declined. After deciding that would be a good idea, the front desk was closed (it closes at 11:00 pm). As a result, I couldn't change rooms, nor could I get extra blankets.
I used the washer and dryer on site. I dried my clothes for an hour (3-20 minute cycles at 100 Yen each) and they came out still wet.
Finally, as I was attempting to wash up in the morning, there was no water in the bathroom. I left at 10:00 AM and the front desk was still not open. It would have been nice to get some of the yen back I wasted on the dryer and the broken heater.

Date of stay: January 2016
Reviewed May 9, 2015

I stayed here by myself for 6 days in a single room. The hotel or what I would probably call a hostel was relatively easy to get to and I managed to catch the bus from the airport directly there. Once I got there the hotel was relatively easy to find as they have put up a few signs to direct the way once you get there. Staff at the reception desk were very friendly and gave me a tour of the place. The lady I spoke to also spoke quite good English. I had to pay upfront and especially as I was visiting in golden week it was very cheap. The room itself was very clean and had all the basics including a bed, a bedside table, a coffee table but it also had a TV, DVD player and an air conditioning unit. The AC unfortunately is coin operated and costs 100 yen for 4 hours and 500 yen for 24 hours. However I found that 4 hours was sufficient during my stay as you can stop and restart the timer as you desire. There is no room cleaning service but you can collect clean towels as and when you wish and there are also washing machines available to use for free including detergent. There are separate male and female shower rooms, each containing two normal toilets (no holes in the ground!) and they also have two mirror stations in which there is a hairdryer to use as well as free mouthwash, razors, toothbrush, combs, cotton buds and shampoo and conditioner available to use. There is also a communal kitchen in which there is free rice and eggs available. You can also store any food that you have bought in the fridge. During my visit I accidently brought the wrong adaptor with me and the staff were kind enough to lend me a phone charger. The hotel is located near a few restaurants including a McDonalds and has two main supermarkets nearby: the drug store and hamby town. I would definitely recommend that you walk a bit further to hamby town for food shopping as it is cheaper and there is more variety. The hotel is also a 5 minute walk away from Araha beach and about a 10-15 minute walk from Mihama American Village and Sunset beach. Unfortunately I personally did not like either of the beaches as I felt they looked very man-many with imported grainy sand. The netted swimming areas were are also quite small at both beaches. There are definitely some nicer beaches on the island. Nevertheless, I would recommend hotel hamby to other travellers on a budget as it is really great value for money and has everything you need.

Date of stay: May 2015