“Madness at this hotel!”

Hotel La Forge
Ranked #15 of 15 Malmedy B&B and Inns
“Madness at this hotel!”
Reviewed July 27, 2011

Upon arrival I paid by credit card, both of the owner couple were present as I paid. They seemed to have an argument about paying by card, I think the wife would had wanted payment in cash. At 11 in the evening my friend was sleeping and I was still awake as I heard someone opening the door with keys. The wife stormed in screaming that we have not paid and should leave in five minutes. She wanted cash, I think she was out of drinking money, she seemed to be drunk or in drugs. Thankfully I found the receipt from credit card payment, showed it to her and she left without saying anything. After that I blocked the door. She tried to throw other people out the same night as well. The hotel restaurant was not open at all and the husband didn't seem to bother about doings of his crazy wife. DO NOT GO TO THIS HOTEL!!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
4 Thank juhani_s

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Canterbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 19, 2011

Booked and stayed in this hotel as part of a 6 strong motorbike group on a 4 day trip to the nurburgring track , had to pay for the whole stay on arrival , secure parking was a garage with No lock on it !!! ,
Hotel bar / restaurant was shut most of the time , breakfast was never available , so had to eat in a bakers just up from the hotel. The town has lots of cafes and restaurants , so no problem there.
Seems a funny setup at this hotel , as we wanted to spend money , but had to go elsewhere for food and drink ,.
Would not recommend this hotel , as they see guests as a inconvenience .

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
5 Thank merdalf

Travelers are raving about these Malmedy hotels

Barnsley, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 8, 2011

I have to concur with the last reviewer who had the same unbelievable experience as me. I too have stayed in this Hotel before, about 4 years ago when it was under different ownership and on the strength of having had a good stay, decided to book again for a trip with a friend to the Spa Francorchamps race circuit over the first weekend of July 2011.
I booked a twin room via Booking.com and even contacted the hotel directly 5 days before travelling regarding motorcycle parking. All seemed well as I received a positive and quick response.
Upon arrival we found the hotel closed, a few people outside scratching their heads and a scribbled message (which I couldn’t understand) taped to the window. We managed to gain entrance via a rear door and after 5 minutes of frantic bell ringing a man appeared who in one breath told us to find another hotel as his wife was ill, and in the next breath that his wife was drunk. The place was a mess. Un-cleared glasses in the bar from the night before, papers strewn across the reception desk and all the while, as I stood there in disbelief, more bookings spewing out of the fax machine.
This man, who showed absolutely no concern for the situation, couldn’t get us out of the door fast enough.
Luckily, and with no help from Mr. Hotel La Forge, we found accommodation in an apartment owned by the St Gereon Hotel which was nearby and I would join the previous reviewer in recommending this helpful and friendly establishment. The apartment was clean, comfortable, spacious, well equipped and serviced on each of our three days stay.
As for the La Forge, I would advise the owners to sell to someone who takes their business seriously and knows the meaning of customer service.
My final bit of advice – avoid – avoid – avoid!

Room Tip: Dont bother
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
6 Thank GlenVine
Carlisle, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 6, 2011

We stayed in this hotel the previous year, and found it ok, so much so we planned to return again for our visit to Spa and the Nurburgring. We reserved 3 rooms for 3 nights and paid the deposit by bank transfer. On arrival, all doors to hotel and restaurant were locked and flower shop next door told us "there are problems!". They told us the police had previously been called by guests as the hotel had been taking deposits and not honouring bookings. After waiting for someone to enter the side door we managed to get in, and said we have reservations. The hotel informed us that no rooms were ready for us. We asked for our deposit back, luckily we had copies of the exchange of e-mails when booking. They gave us our deposit back in cash.
We managed to find alternative accommodation in an apartment owned by the Hotel St Gereon just down the road, which I do recommend.

Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
7 Thank Redleader02
York
Reviewed April 23, 2010

We arrived unbooked, looked at a room and liked it. We were offered a rate of €70 B&B, less than the list price, so stayed two nights. It is a bit unfortunate that at the time the building next door was being rebuilt so the outside ambience was diminished. However the room was quiet. The countryside roundabout is stunning for walking, we got a map from the tourist office which showed all the marked footpaths.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Malmedy
Val D'Arimont Hotel
#2 of 15 in Malmedy
Suite & City Apartments
Suite & City Apartments
#4 of 12 in Malmedy

Been to Hotel La Forge? Share your experiences!