“Ate the poop of the civet cats!”
Review of Satria Agrowisata

Satria Agrowisata
More attraction details
Owner description: Coffee plantation where you can try and buy coffees, chocolates and teas. Also sell luwak coffee.
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Ate the poop of the civet cats!”
Reviewed August 9, 2013 via mobile

I finally get to see the peculiar coffee making process of the kopi luwak here! The tour guide showed us the whole process starting from feeding the civet cat with red coffee cherries. Then they showed us the aftermath 'poop' that was cleansed and roasted. I even get to try one of such bean. It tasted awfully bitter! After which, we were brought to a short coffee tasting session where the coffee guide lady promoted like 11 assorted flavours of drinks such as ginger coffee,vanilla coffee,lemon grass, coconut coffee, rice tea, and etc. We then entered into a souvenir shop where we can buy these coffee powders. D

Visited August 2013

• Indonesian first
  • Polish first
West Milford, New Jersey
34 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 62 helpful votes
“poop coffee!”
Reviewed July 29, 2013

Yea its definitely a tourist trap, and the shop is expensive, but its fun! the people who run the grounds are very nice and knowledgeable about the coffee they are serving you, and most of it actually tastes pretty great. the tasting flight is of course what you want to try, the numerous types of teas are fantastic and the coffees are good. The crown jewel of Sartria is of course the famous Luwak coffee. You know, the coffee eaten by civet cats and then pooped out, roasted and made into a delicious, and somewhat sour, brew. The basic idea of this weird process is that civet seeks out the very best of the best coffee cherries and basically gobbles them up whole. The acids and chemicals in the civets stomach help process the bean which is then popped and roasted. Of course since this coffee is fantastically expensive, they change an extra 5000 rupees to taste it. give it a shot, support the locals!

2 Thank aRedLetterLife
Basel
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Very bad quality of purchased shop goods”
Reviewed July 7, 2013

Infact its a nice place to visit and the people working there are quite friendly.
Especially the coffee degustation with 12 different kinds of "copi" is very nice and they explain everything to you. Besides, feeding the luwak cat with coffee cheeries is a very funny experience too.

However, do not visit the shop - the goods are really expensive and of very poor quality. I indeed bought a package of copi luwak for IR 260,000 which is (I think a lot of money) but here back in Switzerland it does not even work. They told me it was an instant coffee which you just prepare with hot water - this does not work at all! It does not even get the taste of coffee and looks like the lightes "coffee-tea" I've ever seen.

After the nice experience there I feel betrayed now being back home left with some junk powder of something which looks only loke coffee.

3 Thank Aaron B
Beringen, Limburg, Belgium
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Too expensive shop”
Reviewed June 22, 2013

It's indeed not really a plantation. But it only shows some coffee trees, spices and of course the cevit cat. The views must say are beautiful.
The guide did a good job to explain everything. After a garden tour he served me several kinds of tea and coffee. Later they show you the shop. I wanted to buy some luwak coffee, but as I know it is expensive I only bought a very small package of 100gr for 50$. After all I really enjoyed the tour and the excellent degustation.

But today I just went to a normal supermarket in Ubud city center. There you can buy a lot more different kinds and brands of Bali coffee. I really was surprised to see the luwak coffee was sold here as cheap as only 20$ for 200gr...

I always feel very bad when I discover things like this...

My advise, just go there and try the coffee and tea degustation... Which is part of the hous, buy a cup if the luwak coffee (is the only one not free, 5$)... But buy all your tea, spices, coffee in a normal supermarket... The supermarket in Ubud center does sell all of these stuff as well, much more choice, nice gift package as well... But at 2 to 3 times less the prices as at Satria!!!

Visited June 2013
5 Thank Michiel H
Singapore, Singapore
25 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 62 helpful votes
“Joke- Do not see the appeal!”
Reviewed April 15, 2013

This place would have had to been the most disappointing attraction on our trip. I thought it would be neat to see a coffee plantation and my husband wanted to try Kopi luwak coffee. The plantation is not at all what I expected. Basically there is a trail through the jungle and there are random plants that are pointed out to you. There seems to be no order to this plantation. Everyone else mentioned that they had a nice informative person to take them through this plantation. Our girl rushed us through, sat us down at the table and brought the samples to us. They are basically sales reps, they walk you through the 'plantation', serve you the samples and then walk you through the overpriced giftshop while hard selling the products. My husband did buy some tea and Kopi luwak coffee and since my young daughter was not that impressed and quite bored, we said she could get some chocolate. It was $11 USD for a large block of chocolate. The best part was when it was opened, it had another company's name on it (we googled it- some Chinese company) and the words Flamboyant written all over it.

Finally when leaving, my husband drinks alot of coffee and wanted to get a cup to go for the road. He had to chase the lady down to get our change. She was not busy, she was simply avoiding him. The place is a scam.

Visited March 2013