“My Stay There”

Ranked #2 of 3 Bettyhill B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“My Stay There”
Reviewed March 17, 2012

Booked this Inn after finding it on the Internet because really needed a quite relaxing break and that is just what i got it was lovely .

A little Inn tucked away in the North of Scotland with a friendly welcome and a very clean and comfortable room which had a brillant shower with tea and coffee on tap in our room.

Karan did wonderful Breakfasts and also dinner which was much needed after long days out walking ! Also Farr Beach is just a 5 min walk from the Inn and what a beautiful beach it is sandy and clean .

Really enjoyed my stay and i think that if you need a quite break then here is the place. It is a family run B&B/ Inn with its own charm and yes it has a bumpy track to drive up and the bar has lots of locals that come in daliy who are very friendy and happy to add you into there chat and help you with places to visit all in all had wonderful break Thank you

Room Tip: we had the blue room which was big
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Susie m

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 6, 2012

The drive is a pot hole disaster, the pub a run down dank, dark, cold, smelly unwelcoming hole. The car park has an interesting array of broken down 4 x 4 vehicles, the web site refers to a residents lounge, Not now! no where to sit apart from a small uncomfortable bar that is frequented by the dirtiest uncouth selection of people who seem to arrive late evening and stay until the early hours, the noise can be heard in all of the bedrooms. The food is basic and everything is fried, the rooms are cold, the one I was in had a huge damp patch above the bed with the paint peeling off over a two meter area, no heaters in the bathroom. The owners have a huge hairy Alsation dog which lives in and around the bar, no notice is taken of the unhygienic problems this causes. all in all a terrible place. Avoid.

Room Tip: Go to a different hotel to get a good room, I understand that the Borgie Hotel a couple of miles wes...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank Kevin R
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 24, 2011

Popped in here on a motorbike tour of Scotland. I was shown to a lovely spaceous, clean room. They didn't have a single room so put me in a twin room at no additional cost. The hotel is ideally located right next to a beautiful fine sandy beach which looks like it belongs on the continent somewhere.

I had dinner and breakfast in the hotel. The staff (particularly Karan) are very friendly indeed and make you feel so welcome. I felt as if I was visiting family.

I spent one night here, visited the beach and had a paddle, enjoyed a nice breakfast and watched a movie in my bedroom from the staff's extensive collection of borrowable DVDs. I travelled for 5 nights and this was the best place I stayed.

Thoroughly recommend. Cheers guys. Very reasonably priced too. xx

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
3 Thank Cheezy_munkey
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 26, 2011

this is a family run b&b and i have stayed there more than once and will stay there again ( looking forward to it) happily. i found the staff more than helpful and the food to be off a good slandered. the locals who use the bar are some off the warmest people i have met and if you are not to tired i would recommend spending you evening in the bar with them as they will make you feel at home. this is also a good place to use as your base for exploring this part of scotland

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank davidmcmahon
Inverurie
Reviewed October 7, 2010

Stayed here for one night of a tour round the Highlands and Islands, a warm welcome was extended to us, accommodation nicely sized and in very good order, food and drink of good quality. As mentioned elsewhere Bettyhill does not currently have a TV signal post digital switchover however all rooms have DVD players and a good selection are available. The owners have plans to hook up to Freesat in due course.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank IanH42
ORKNEY
Reviewed September 20, 2010

Drove up to the Inn.
The entrance into the car park was an obstacle course of water filled pot holes.
The outside of the Inn is not preposessing.
Dirty windows & generally run down appearance.
We entered the Inn through the side entrance & rang a brass bell for attention.
The entrance stank of fish & the Public Bar just stank.
Someone appeared and charged up to our room with my wife & myself a short distance behind. The stair carpetting was pretty grotty.
He opened the bedroom.door and waved vaguely at the bathroom and left us to it.
Our car was visible from our window and we watched as a small boy, about twelve years old, drive a 4x4 vehicle too close to it for comfort.
The bedclothes smelt OK, but several exposed dowels in the double bed framework didn't really appeal. The shower cabinet didn't meet the wall in the bathroom and looked a bit unsafe. The decor was tired and a bit Sixties.
We debated whether to stay for the night at least, but on reflection chickened out.
My wife and I have stayed in various B&B's and Hotels the length and breadth of Scotland and the accommodation offered was the first we have refused to stay in.
My wife handed back the room key and told someone behind the Bar that we wouldn't be staying. He was puzzled , but didn't seem too bothered that we weren't staying.
My wife is an ex Bar Manager and wasn't too impressed by either the drinks gantry or the condition of the bar itself.
I might recommend this Inn to an enemy, but certainly not to a friend.
We find some of the reviews on this site regarding the FBI a bit hard to believe.
My tip would be to stay in Thurso .......... not in Bettyhill and certainly not in the Farr Bay Inn.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
6 Thank ORKNEYBEAR
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 10, 2010

For the past 18 months the Farr Bay Inn has been run by a couple from Essex bringing a touch of east London to northern Scotland but for me it didn't work! The food was bland (evening meal and breakfasts) including sausages which seemed to come from a supermarket 'value' range and toast made from thin sliced 'cotton wool' white bread. Not the fare expected in Scottish establishments and compared poorly with other B & Bs on by touring holiday.
The Farr Bay menu in general reflected the convenience foods of southern Britain, rather than the seafaring and farming Highlands, renowned for its local produce, home cooked. The TVs in the rooms couldn't receive programmes and seeing cats sitting on dining tables was a complete turn-off, so on my second, and last, evening I dined elsewhere.
The current Farr Bay Inn website is inaccurate, misleading and out-of-date, referring to the previous owners, and should be closed down or updated.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank Windyman_10
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bettyhill
Bettyhill Hotel
#1 of 9 in Thurso
Strathy Inn
Strathy Inn
#1 of 2 in Strathy

Been to Farr Bay Inn? Share your experiences!