“"Great food and first class service"”
Review of The Staff of Life

The Staff of Life
Ranked #8 of 56 Restaurants in Lutterworth
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed February 28, 2013

I visit Market Harborough a couple of times a year to see friends but very rarely get the opportunity to eat out of the town. On a Friday evening, we (5 of us) were recommended to go to "The Staff of Life" and were all so glad that we did. We were greeted by Spencer, a very friendly and professional landlord, who was accommodating to our needs. The menu was fantastic for choice, and the time to get served was just as good, and well the food..simply wonderful and truly representative of value. Over and following Dinner, we did indulged in too much of the great selection of wine, which meant unfortunately we had to leave the car and get a taxi home. Spencer again was very helpful and ensured that we enjoyed our time right to the end of the evening. I am one for mixing with the locals and they too were friendly and welcoming. I Will definitely be making time again to visit next time I am in Market Harborough.

1  Thank Grace C

Reviewed February 24, 2013

Visited for Sunday lunch. Busy, nice atmosphere. A bit pricey and a little small on portions. We visited a well known pub near Lancaster last week which was superb and had far nicer food and bigger portions and in different (better) league to this Staff of Life pub. Otherwise, this was nice food, great desserts. I would have preferred to add the mint sauce myself not have it served flooding already over the lamb. However, service not very personal, bored/serious waiters/waitresses ....lacking any smile or attention. I had to wait 30 minutes after asking for my bill and I had to ask two times, even sending son to the bar as well. All I expected was a simple apology for the wait, not a list of excuses. The owner then heard my reasonable complaint and even he failed to apologise. As a result of this very simple failure to understand customer service I shall be recommending all my friends to avoid this pub and I certainly won't be returning! Left a bitter taste in the mouth.

4  Thank Lawrence975
Reviewed December 4, 2012

we ate at the Staff of Life on Saturday evening, returning to a pub that we have always enjoyed in the past. On arrival the first thing we were offered was the wine list. We chose a g and t and a beer. Menu was only on the blackboard but it all looked wonderful. I chose spiced figs starter and the lamb main while hubby had fishcakes and pidgen. At 6 pounds each the starters were disapointing, hubbys fishcakes were mostly potato and my figs were not spicy. Mains were not bad but the onion mash did not taste of onion just mash. At numerous times during our meal we were asked if we wanted wine or more drinks, so much that it became anoying. For desert at 5 pound 50p each we chose the whisky pudding with a congiac sauce. How strange that after advertising the wonders of the resident pudding chef what came out of the kitchen was bog standard christmas pud with mediocre white sauce. Such a shame we wont be returning for quite a while. Come on people get back to great food at reasonable prices.

1  Thank julie b
Reviewed November 25, 2012

This was our 4th visit to the Staff of Life and, once again, we weren't disappointed. We have only ever been for Sunday lunch,and we have no complaints.

My started of poached egg, crispy bacon and black pudding salad was superb. The egg was cooked to perfection and the presentation was beautiful.

My wife opted for the goats cheese tart, which was delicate and delicious.

I chose the pheasant special, which was a breast wrapped in parma ham, and a roast leg. Utterly delicious, and I'd gladly eat it again - right now!

Pork belly with cider mash was my wife's choice. It was, again, beautifully presented, tender, sweet and lovely.

We managed to squeeze in the cheese course, but we were full to bursting point. The cheeses were room temperature, the chutney was superb and we ate every morsel.

We can both highly recommend The Staff of Life. It's 30 minutes away for us, but always worth a journey.

We did wait over 20 minutes for our cheese course, with was a little too long, but this a minor complaint.

The only tiny, tiny complaint is that I prefer the pictures they used to have for sale. We've bought a few and would like some more. If anyone can tell us how we can contact the artist directly, we would be very grateful.

Reviewed October 2, 2012 via mobile

I keep forgetting I am 65 my mind tells me I am 18 so every time I meet a stunning waitress as we did last night I end up making a total fool of myself.

Eight old friends met here last night,superb meal,Scallops,Turbot and ice cream,sounds simple when put like that but food was stunning,atmosphere and company superb.bit of a trek to get there but we owed it to "the judge" to go up to his turf,he never let's us down.

So first class meal and see through tops,what more does a man want?

1  Thank MichaelWhinger