“Wedding review - 23rd August 2013”

Mercure Stafford South Hatherton House Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Penkridge
Reviewed September 24, 2013

I just cannot thank Peter Miller enough for the effort he put in to making our daughter's day so perfect ! right from the start nothing was too much trouble . It is such a worry putting your trust in a wedding venue especially when you have not heard of anyone using it before, this is why I have taken the time to write this review so future couples need not worry ! The room layout was just right ,little things make a difference like the swans for the bride and grooms place setting made out of their napkins. All our guests commented on how nice the food was and there was plenty of it ! the staff were professional , efficient and very friendly, nothing was too much trouble. As so many of our guests stayed over we had our own breakfast room and the choice of food at breakfast was fabulous, there was something for everyone ! the staff had even taken the time to lay the tables with our wedding breakfast centre pieces and set out our Mr & Mrs signs for the newly weds! My daughter got married in Penkridge Church and the hotel location was perfect, some lovely grounds for the photos too! we all enjoyed the day so much we could do it again - the only minor criticism would be that some of the rooms are in need of a bit a revamp - but this had no effect on our weekend at all - big thank you once again to Peter and all the staff.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
HotelManagerStafford, Manager at Mercure Stafford South Hatherton House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 3, 2013

Dear Jackie,
Thank you very much for lovely comment's of which i have passed on to all my team.Hope you all had a nice holiday & a good rest.Thank you very much for the thank you card & hope to see you soon with the photo's,sorry it as taken me a while to reply but i have been on holiday myself to sunny Stafford.

Kind Regards

Peter

Reviewed September 21, 2013

Went here with a friend for afternoon tea on a groupon voucher. There was a wedding on and so nobody could care less about us. We were shoved in the far corner by the fire exit after having asked twice to be seated (at reception and at the bar) as no waitresses were around. We were brought our afternoon tea which, if I'd paid full price for it, I would have sent it back and refused to pay. Poor choice of cheap sandwich fillings with cheap bread, shop bought scones and a couple of cheap little bought in cakes. A tiny pot of tea which was in a stained tea pot and no offer of a refill. In fact, we didn't see the waitress again and our table wasn't cleared despite being there 2 hours.

There was only one other couple there who also looked unimpressed with their afternoon tea. The idea of groupon is that you provide excellent service and quality to attract new customers back. How wrong you have got it - I would never come back and would never pay full price. I enjoy going for afternoon tea and have payid between £25 to £50 for it at other hotels. Obviously i didn't expect it to be the Ritz but I at least expected it to be worth the stated price.

The hotel is tired and out of date and needs a full refurb, change in menu and change in staff. Perhaps you should consider going on 'The Hotel Inspector'.

A place with great potential but management haven't got a clue.

• Stayed: September 2013
HotelManagerStafford, General Manager at Mercure Stafford South Hatherton House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 24, 2013

Thank you very much for your review please accept my apologies for the poor service experienced this is not our usual standard, we have enjoyed positive reviews for the standard of food so am somewhat surprised by your comments but will review the content with the chef.

Many thanks

Jeff Brimble

Reviewed September 17, 2013 via mobile

We visited yesterday and had a very tasty and fresh afternoon tea.
The sandwiches were of very good quality and the scones very well presented and baked to perfection . The gentleman who served us was very polite and attentive . We had more coffee and thus was no trouble . I was very pleased and would visit again .

2  Thank blighter48
HotelManagerStafford, General Manager at Mercure Stafford South Hatherton House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 17, 2013

Thank you so much for your very kind reveiw I look forward to welcoming you back in the future

Jeff

Reviewed September 14, 2013 via mobile

Went to the hotel for afternoon tea on a group on voucher. Staff were very welcoming shown to a nice table in the restaurant. I've done lots of afternoon teas and this stood up well - good sandwiches and cakes and we couldn't eat it all! The waitress brought fresh tea when we asked for hot water. My only slight criticism was a lack of earl grey - apparently they had four that day but they had all gone!

• Stayed: September 2013
HotelManagerStafford, General Manager at Mercure Stafford South Hatherton House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 16, 2013

Many thanks for your review, please accept my apologies for lack of Earl Grey on this occasion

Jeff Brimble

Reviewed September 12, 2013 via mobile

Had a cream tea with my elderley mother today with a groupon voucher purchased for £12 . This entitled us to two cream teas suposedly valued at £32.
I suspect that anyone paying full price would be extremely dissatisfied. As it was I paid somewhat less, but I did expect to get an equivalent offering, otherwise what would be the point of a voucher??
It seems to me that we had a substandard tea, because we were groupon customers.
This is a repeat performance, as we have previously used groupon vouchers at this hotel ( for an evening meal) and the standard of that meal was extremely poor too. My daughter who is vegetarian was given something inedible supposedlymade of cauliflower.
Not good value!!

• Stayed: September 2013
HotelManagerStafford, Manager at Mercure Stafford South Hatherton House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 13, 2013

Dear Max 6053
Thank you very much for your feedback regarding your Groupon Afternoon Tea. I have passed on your comment's to my team .

Kind Regards
Peter Miller
Deputy General Manager

Reviewed September 8, 2013 via mobile

We go to quite a few of the Mercure hotels for the all inclusive weekends as they are such great value for money, these guys were so attentive and made our stay special, food quality is high and the wine was very drinkable...!! We contacted the hotel a few days before and request some extras and everything they said they would do they did, with no extra cost, location may not be quite as good as Telford Madeley etc but well worth a visit for the big local markets and great bakery's, well done guys you did a great job...oh and the sauna, and swimming pool was a great bonus..

• Stayed: September 2013
HotelManagerStafford, General Manager at Mercure Stafford South Hatherton House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 9, 2013

Great - Thank you for your kind words, I am really pleased you had a good stay and look forward to welcoming you back.

Jeff

Reviewed September 4, 2013

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
HotelManagerStafford, General Manager at Mercure Stafford South Hatherton House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 5, 2013

Also consider these accommodations in or near Penkridge
Holiday Inn Express Stafford M6 Jct. 13
The Moat House
The Moat House
#1 of 1 in Acton Trussell
Travelodge Stafford Central Hotel

Been to Mercure Stafford South Hatherton House Hotel? Share your experiences!