“Afternoon Tea”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Penkridge
walsall
“Afternoon Tea”
Reviewed September 14, 2013 via mobile

Went to the hotel for afternoon tea on a group on voucher. Staff were very welcoming shown to a nice table in the restaurant. I've done lots of afternoon teas and this stood up well - good sandwiches and cakes and we couldn't eat it all! The waitress brought fresh tea when we asked for hot water. My only slight criticism was a lack of earl grey - apparently they had four that day but they had all gone!

• Stayed September 2013
HotelManagerStafford, General Manager at Mercure Stafford South Hatherton House Hotel, responded to this review, September 16, 2013
Many thanks for your review, please accept my apologies for lack of Earl Grey on this occasion

Kind regards

Jeff Brimble

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
Reviewed September 12, 2013 via mobile

Had a cream tea with my elderley mother today with a groupon voucher purchased for £12 . This entitled us to two cream teas suposedly valued at £32.
I suspect that anyone paying full price would be extremely dissatisfied. As it was I paid somewhat less, but I did expect to get an equivalent offering, otherwise what would be the point of a voucher??
It seems to me that we had a substandard tea, because we were groupon customers.
This is a repeat performance, as we have previously used groupon vouchers at this hotel ( for an evening meal) and the standard of that meal was extremely poor too. My daughter who is vegetarian was given something inedible supposedlymade of cauliflower.
Not good value!!

• Stayed September 2013
HotelManagerStafford, Manager at Mercure Stafford South Hatherton House Hotel, responded to this review, September 13, 2013
Dear Max 6053
Thank you very much for your feedback regarding your Groupon Afternoon Tea. I have passed on your comment's to my team .

Kind Regards
Peter Miller
Deputy General Manager
northampton
Reviewed September 8, 2013 via mobile

We go to quite a few of the Mercure hotels for the all inclusive weekends as they are such great value for money, these guys were so attentive and made our stay special, food quality is high and the wine was very drinkable...!! We contacted the hotel a few days before and request some extras and everything they said they would do they did, with no extra cost, location may not be quite as good as Telford Madeley etc but well worth a visit for the big local markets and great bakery's, well done guys you did a great job...oh and the sauna, and swimming pool was a great bonus..

• Stayed September 2013
HotelManagerStafford, General Manager at Mercure Stafford South Hatherton House Hotel, responded to this review, September 9, 2013
Great - Thank you for your kind words, I am really pleased you had a good stay and look forward to welcoming you back.

Kind regards

Jeff
staffs
Reviewed September 4, 2013

Went on a midweek Groupon deal for 4 of us. Presented ourselves at reception where we were immediately greeted by a friendly Lady who escorted us to our table. Ensuring we were happy with the table the Lady offered to move us if we wanted, caring and attentative 10/10. The table waitress appeared immediately and explained the format 10/10. Prompt service with a choice of tea or coffee. Served a glass of Prosecco, very nice. Within 5 minutes came an array of finger sandwiches, scones with bowl of cream and jam and petit squares of victoria sponge and delicious carrot cake. All in all a very nice afternoon was had by all. Only criticism is that the table waitress could have returned after 10/15 minutes to refill the tea and coffee. I know we were on a voucher so cannot expect too much.

Room Tip: Unable to comment as on a day visit only.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
HotelManagerStafford, General Manager at Mercure Stafford South Hatherton House Hotel, responded to this review, September 5, 2013
Many thanks for your kind reveiw - I hope to see you again

Jeff
Herefordshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 31, 2013

There are several commendable features of the Hatherton House including a good location, and based on my 1 night there, a large well-equipped room and a very large and very comfortable double bed.

However if booking a double, my advice would be to avoid Room 311 which is in the original part of the house, virtually directly above the main entrance. Although particularly large with some original architectural features, the large single-glazed sash window is no barrier to noise of any sort.

I was woken by a couple of other guests standing chatting outside the hotel's front door, and directly beneath my window, before 7 am. After that there was a steady stream of noise including guests sitting on the outside terrace next to the hotel door, drinking coffee and/or smoking, and chatting - I could hear every word of the conversations, and could smell the cigarette smoke in the room!

What exacerbates the problem is that the room has no form of air-con, so the only way to get the temperature down to a reasonable level on a warm evening such as when I arrived is to open the window.....

I did mention the noise problem on check-out, but the response that "I'll mention it to the duty manager" didn't convince me that anythng would actually be said, or any action taken.

In fairness I should mention that cleanliness was excellent, and the breakfast was very good, with friendly and attentive service.

Room Tip: If you aren't stone deaf, avoid room 311!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Penkridge
The Moat House
Hilton at St George's Park, Burton upon Trent
Oak Farm Hotel
Oak Farm Hotel
#1 of 2 in Hatherton

Been to Mercure Stafford South Hatherton House Hotel? Share your experiences!