“Stay at Penkridge”

Mercure Stafford South Hatherton House Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Penkridge

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
staffs
Reviewed September 4, 2013

Went on a midweek Groupon deal for 4 of us. Presented ourselves at reception where we were immediately greeted by a friendly Lady who escorted us to our table. Ensuring we were happy with the table the Lady offered to move us if we wanted, caring and attentative 10/10. The table waitress appeared immediately and explained the format 10/10. Prompt service with a choice of tea or coffee. Served a glass of Prosecco, very nice. Within 5 minutes came an array of finger sandwiches, scones with bowl of cream and jam and petit squares of victoria sponge and delicious carrot cake. All in all a very nice afternoon was had by all. Only criticism is that the table waitress could have returned after 10/15 minutes to refill the tea and coffee. I know we were on a voucher so cannot expect too much.

Room Tip: Unable to comment as on a day visit only.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
HotelManagerStafford, General Manager at Mercure Stafford South Hatherton House Hotel, responded to this review, September 5, 2013
Many thanks for your kind reveiw - I hope to see you again

Herefordshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 31, 2013

There are several commendable features of the Hatherton House including a good location, and based on my 1 night there, a large well-equipped room and a very large and very comfortable double bed.

However if booking a double, my advice would be to avoid Room 311 which is in the original part of the house, virtually directly above the main entrance. Although particularly large with some original architectural features, the large single-glazed sash window is no barrier to noise of any sort.

I was woken by a couple of other guests standing chatting outside the hotel's front door, and directly beneath my window, before 7 am. After that there was a steady stream of noise including guests sitting on the outside terrace next to the hotel door, drinking coffee and/or smoking, and chatting - I could hear every word of the conversations, and could smell the cigarette smoke in the room!

What exacerbates the problem is that the room has no form of air-con, so the only way to get the temperature down to a reasonable level on a warm evening such as when I arrived is to open the window.....

I did mention the noise problem on check-out, but the response that "I'll mention it to the duty manager" didn't convince me that anythng would actually be said, or any action taken.

In fairness I should mention that cleanliness was excellent, and the breakfast was very good, with friendly and attentive service.

Room Tip: If you aren't stone deaf, avoid room 311!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
walsall
Reviewed August 27, 2013

We had afternoon tea this afternoon, and I have to say it was a very enjoyable experience. All the staff were very polite and helpful, and catered to our exact needs.

I would highly recommend this venue - keep up the good work guys.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank WalsallWolfie
HotelManagerStafford, General Manager at Mercure Stafford South Hatherton House Hotel, responded to this review, August 28, 2013
Glad you enjoyed it - thanks for coming, I hope to welcome you back in the future have you looked at our Christmas brochure ? - we have a diva tribute night and also an Abba tribute night as well as 80's night - something for everyone !

Thanks for your review, kind regards

Reviewed August 25, 2013

We chose this location for a family get together as it was ideally placed for travelling. We booked an "all inclusive" 2 night break and we had a great time. The hotel is quite old and other reviewers have referred to its "tiredness" but it was spotlessly clean and the rooms were large and well appointed also the bed was very comfortable. The food was beautifully presented and was of excellent quality. We had lunch, breakfast and evening meal as part of the deal and each meal was enjoyed by all. The staff were exceptionally attentive. We had my elderly father in law with us and nothing fazed the staff and believe me they were kept busy! I would definitely visit again and I would certainly recommend it especially the all inclusive deal.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Jan W
HotelManagerStafford, Manager at Mercure Stafford South Hatherton House Hotel, responded to this review, August 27, 2013
Dear Jan W
Thank you for your feedback of which i have passed onto my team,hope to see you all again soon.
Best Wishes
Peter Miller
Deputy General Manager
West Yorkshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 20, 2013

Not far from the motorway, but close to a nice village (walking distance) although you could probably hear the trains if in front of hotel. Plenty of parking, hotel well laid out. Bar and restaurant a good standard and comfortable. Room reasonably comfortable, a little tired and good do with updating but acceptable. Our room had windows overlooking the pool boiler room, and the staff entrance so we had to keep the curtains drawn. The staff were very helpful and welcoming.
The leisure suite could definitely do with an overhaul, it is a little run down. The pool area is showing it's age and not overly clean. Also, despite there is a route through the hotel, they make you walk right around the building to enter the leisure suite.
Overall, there is much to recommend the hotel and you can have a nice stay here. If you visit the village, I can recommend the Dickens of a Tea Room where you will find a warm welcome.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
HotelManagerStafford, General Manager at Mercure Stafford South Hatherton House Hotel, responded to this review, August 21, 2013
Many thanks for your feedback I will reveiw with the team

Kind regards

Jeff
Also consider these accommodations in or near Penkridge
Stone House Hotel
Oak Farm Hotel
Oak Farm Hotel
#1 of 2 in Hatherton
Hilton at St George's Park, Burton upon Trent

Been to Mercure Stafford South Hatherton House Hotel? Share your experiences!