“Mixed experience”

Mercure Stafford South Hatherton House Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Penkridge
Reviewed December 7, 2012

We stayed here for a weekend with friends, enjoying the countryside,especially walking around shughborough hall close by. The deal looked very good with all inclusive and spa facilities. The spa however has a very small pool, sauna is separate (bit strange for a European). So we did not stay very long there. Food was very good, but on Saturday night when it was busy some orders were mixed up. The staff seemed to be quite overworked and on long shifts as we saw lots of the same faces at all times. Overall ok, but with ups and downs.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
HotelManagerStafford, General Manager at Mercure Stafford South Hatherton House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 11, 2012

Many thanks for your comments on our food I am pleased you enjoyed it and apologies for any mix ups, we are fortunate enough to have hardworking loyal staff, I can assure you do they do get time off !

Kind regards

Reviewed December 1, 2012

The hotel is very close to the rail station in Penkridge which was ideal for the five minute journey to Stafford. On saying that the trains are not noticeable from the hotel.

I did not have a car and used the train to get to and from Stafford. There is a short cut through a hedge into the hotel car park and this saves either a walk through the church graveyard or a longer walk down the country road (with no path or street lighting). I would recommend having a car.

When I booked I asked for a large quiet room and I certainly received this with room 311. This room was huge, tastefully decorated and would certainly be classified as a junior suite in many hotels. The 12 foot tall ceilings just add to the feeling of spaciousness. The room itself was based in the original old house. This does carry certain disadvantages. Firstly the heating was poor and I was cold (note, I come from Scotland and I am used to cold) and there was no way to increase it in the room. The second issue was the original single glazed sash windows which there was a cracked pane.

Overall I was pleased with the room which was exceptional value even compared to the Premier Inns up in Stafford. It had character to say the least.

The other major benefits of the hotel are the use of the large, well equipped gym and free wi fi.

The restaurant is fine, perhaps above average in cost, but service is okay. The second night I had to wait a long time for my meal and had to send my dessert back as a table spoon of custard with syrup sponge just wasn't good enough. Breakfast is fine, but if there is one thing the hotel could do is invest in a good coffee maker as what they serve is utterly horrible.

The other small issue, is please could the hotel find and strangle the cockerel that started at 11pm and again at about 4am.

Would I stay again? On balance, yes.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank JonahAJ
HotelManagerStafford, General Manager at Mercure Stafford South Hatherton House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 3, 2012

Many thanks for your review and please accept my apologies for the Cockerel we know not from where it came! - The RSPB came and were unable to catch it, it comes and goes and to date has remained at large. The coffee we use is Lavazza which is a very good brand but clearly has not been made correctly I will speak with the team, thank you for highlighting the maintenance issues we will get on with this today.
Thanks again I look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed December 1, 2012

The lane immediately outside the hotel car park had deep floods (about 18 inches) on 2 of the 3 days I stayed. No help, advice or warning from staff. I could not have driven my small hatchback through it. Fortunate to get lift with colleague in 4x4 first time. Moved car out and left if up the road the night before the second time when it became obvious it was going to flood again. I feel hotel staff should give advice about moving vehicles and put pressure on relevant authorities to deal with the presumably blocked drains to resolve it.
Housekeeping of a very poor standard. No bin in my room, left a note requesting one: not only was it ignored, the bed was not made. Agree with other comments about noise/lack of soundproofing. I found the restaurant OK although hot breakfast quantities did vary on different days. Had one evening meal which was fine - and was correctly billed! (Many hotels in my experience get this wrong if you eat with colleagues, they just split the bill equally regardless of who had what to eat or drink).

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business

Thank you for your review, my apologies regarding the lane being flooded we do highlight it to the local authorities but to date have not been successful.
I will discuss your review with the housekeeping team as all rooms should be serviced daily it appears yours had not on this occasion.

Many thanks

Reviewed November 16, 2012

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
HotelManagerStafford, General Manager at Mercure Stafford South Hatherton House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 18, 2012

Reviewed November 13, 2012

A weekend trip to the Mercure Hatherton House became a nightmare, on arrival we were allocated room 201 at rear of hotel, the room needs refurbishing could not change rooms as hotel was full with Birthday event, opening the window gave out burning oil smell from kitchen below,large holes in the carpet were covered with a mat, stains on carpet (this hotel allows pets!) the toilet did not flush, continual trips to reception as swipe card did not work to enter room, we were not informed of Community centre at rear of our room with loud music and raucous shouts till 4 am, Management normally have to get the Police to stop noise abatement.
Our breakfast was also a disapointment having to wait 40 minutes for English breakfast though dining room was half empty!
On complaint to management on Sunday we were moved to a better room, this hotel also boasts a fitness centre (unstaffed) which needs updating, only half equipment in use, do not waste time and money on this hotel, our weekend was ruined!

Room Tip: If using this hotel ask for room on front of hotel, better rooms, but beware you are facing railway...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank bertram r

Many thanks for your feedback I am very sorry your stay was not up to standard, my apologies for the noise and the poor service both matters we are currently working to imporve on.

Thanks again

Reviewed November 12, 2012

I've had the pleasure of staying in a great many wonderful Mercure hotels, both in the UK and abroad. Sadly, this is not one of them.

The main problem with this hotel is the woeful lack of noise insulation. I didn't sleep a wink due to the constant slamming of room doors, the fact that other guests' conversations on my corridor could be heard as clearly as if they were standing right next to my bed, and the noises emanating from the plumbing in adjoining bathrooms.

The other main problem is breakfast. This is usually one of the things that Mercure hotels do well - you can usually count on a reasonably good quality hot buffet. At this hotel, orders for hot items are taken by a waitress. When my breakfast came out, it consisted of little more than a tablespoon full of baked beans, one rasher of bacon, one hash brown, a fried egg, one sausage and one small round of toast.

When you consider that the hotel was asking, if I recall correctly, £13.95 for this if purchased on the day it comes across as a bit of an insult. I paid only £8 in advance and even that was too much.

Aside from this, the rooms are tired and dated with poor design (small desk, tiny bedside shelves fixed to the wall). The shower design is an old fixed type, with the water supplied by moving the hot and cold bath taps as required. The toilet in my bathroom was a bit temperamental when it came to getting a full flush out of it too!

On the plus side, there is plentiful free parking, the staff are friendly enough, and the hotel is very well located with good access to the M6. None of that would be sufficient to make me stay again though.

All in all, this is a property that really lets the Mercure brand down.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank tifosi678
HotelManagerStafford, General Manager at Mercure Stafford South Hatherton House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 13, 2012

Many thanks for your feedback I am very sorry your stay was not up to the required standard, we will reveiw our breakfast offer and improve, my apologies also for the noise.

Thanks again

Reviewed November 11, 2012

Me, my wife and two friends visited your hotel the weekend of the 10th of November, for my birthday. Having read some of the reviews on TripAdvisor we all had mixed feelings as to what the weekend would be like. We arrived mid afternoon Friday and the check in was fast and smooth. The rooms were very clean, homely and warm.
The bar area was spacious and the food was excellent. All the staff were very friendly, profesional and made our stay very enjoyable. Breakfast was spot on, with plenty of choice for even the fussiest of eaters.
The village is really pretty and we even found an outside market, all within 5 minutes walking distance.
Will definately visit again and will be reccomending the hotel to our friends and family.
All the bad comments we read on here, we found to be petty ones, and maybe these people should stay at home.
All in all an excellent relaxing weekend. Thank you.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple

Many thanks for your kind words I am delighted you enjoyed your stay and look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Jeff Brimble

Also consider these accommodations in or near Penkridge
Holiday Inn Express Stafford M6 Jct. 13
#2 of 5 in Stone
Travelodge Stafford Central Hotel
21 mi away
Quality Hotel & Leisure Stoke on Trent

Been to Mercure Stafford South Hatherton House Hotel? Share your experiences!