“Good place for a inner journey.”
Review of SWAN Yoga Retreat

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Assagao
SWAN Yoga Retreat
Tallinn, Estonia
“Good place for a inner journey.”
Reviewed February 10, 2014

We were in Swan or a one week and we experienced very,very good people and emotions.
Our day started at 6.30 and which was very surprising (in a good way) that everything really happened on time, no delays or something what could be "normal" in India.
I should say that to start a meditation at 6.30 in a middle of a small jungle in dark surrounded with all these fantastic voices of nature is something I don`t have words to describe.
We rented houses with our private balcony and these were very clean and simple, but tasteful and comfortable and cozy.
The meditations were very good and really helped me to deal with some isuues inside me.
Yoga classes are really good for even those who have never done yoga. They are easy and well guided, no feelings that you can`t make it.
Food was delicious and staff is abseloutely great.
I loved, loved, loved our teacher, who was a very good teacher, but also a fantastic person, which was like a balm to my soul and was exactly what I was looking or: a balance. Not only praying in front of somebody`s picture denying the outside world, but it was a good and I would say healthy balance between these two.
I would defenately go back there.

Room Tip: I think all the room types are very ok. All rooms are very quiet, because the location is excellent.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Gavle, Sweden
Reviewed February 3, 2014

... its serenity and stillness, SWAN Yoga Retreat is an ashram I'd love to come back to. Co-founders Shivendra and Gyanmitra, as well the rest of the staff, welcomed me and the other members of the 12 day yoga course warmly and enthusiastically. Between intense daily yoga classes and meditation, the ayurvedic yoga massage therapist Anand perfected my stay at SWAN. Anand worked deeper and deeper with me for each session. His professional approach and his understanding of the human body and mind made profound changes in me, physically as well as mentally.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed February 3, 2014

Swan Yoga Retreat is a wonderful place, a oasis in the jungle. Green surroundings with banana trees and monkeys in the forrest. I lived in a beautiful cottage with a big tiled bathroom. It was nice and clean and with a lovely small porch.
The food was one of the things that really was a highlight in Swan, made by the chef Mokesh. I think the food was the best Indian food I´ve ever tried, three times a day. They also serving hot te made of herbs from the garden all day.

The founders of Swan Yoga Retreat Gyanmitra and Shivendra are the most lovely and nicest people you can imagine and there is always time for a good laugh. I had many of those...;) They have built up Swan from the ground up and preserved environment in the most loving way. And all the staff like Hanuman with his warm smile and pleasant manner, makes you feel at home.

Another of my highlights here was the masseur Anand who really is a amazing bodyworker with his healing touch and strong hands. Sometimes it was painful (I wanted to beat him sometimes) but most of the time it was a nice experience and I felt that my enegi began to flow freely in the body again. All my tensions and blockages disappeared. He really did wonders to my body and mind after only a few sessions. Before this I was a little stiff in my hips and joints and now I feel free in my body again. This was a unique experience. He´s the best bodyworker I ever tried. I can highly recommend him.

I´ll be back, thank you all.
Om Shanti
Sloka

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 7, 2014

This peaceful and friendly retreat was set in a luscious, natural clearing next to the jungle. My room was surprisingly big with an ensuite tiled bathroom. Everything smelled good and was very clean. The food was delicious and well balanced, I arrived run down and stressed and left feeling well and ready to face the world. The masseur Anand worked intuitively and is an essential if you visit.

In many respects the yoga teachings were basic and a disappointment compared to other ashrams I have experienced in India, and there was very little opportunity for yoga asana. However I took from it what I needed and for me the highlight was Gyanmitra the co-founder of Swan yoga retreat who led excellent meditation and held the centre together with love, wisdom and integrity.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
5 Thank jen34a
Loten, Norway
Reviewed November 25, 2013

So, now’s the time for my review of my stay at Swan Yoga Retreat!
I had a hard time deciding which place to choose in Goa, because there is a lot of yoga- places to choose from, and I was very new to yoga. I went with my gut-feeling, and my God, how happy I am for my choice!
So, I start from the beginning, when I entered the gates of this Garden of Eden. A wonderful green oasis next to the jungle. I was shown to my cottage, a cozy and surprisingly big hut, with a huge tiled bathroom. Everything smelled good and was nice and clean.
I was blessed with a wonderful yoga-teacher which also is the founder of Swan Yogaretreat, the swami Gyanmitra. He’s an amazing warm, wise and loving man. I felt in the best hands I could be! With patience, I was taught the principles of yoga. At Swan you get the whole package of yoga! Meditation, assanas, pranayama (breathing exercises), yoga nidra (deep relaxation), detoxing and more. There were other students there as well, with many years of experience in yoga, but we all got exactly what we needed. They have several kinds of special and wonderful treatments they offer to those who might need it. But I think, the thing that will stick to my heart forever, is that feeling of coming Home to Swan!! They are all bending backwards for you to feel home and relaxed. The co-founder Shivendra, also was there, always nice and helpful, with his warm smile. Open for a nice chat, good advises and explanations. I was full of questions about this new lifestyle, and this was very helpful for me  No question was too dumb to be taken seriously, and I always got a good answer.
Every day , wonderful ayurvedic/ vegetarian food was served, to breakfast, lunch and dinner. The amazing chef Mokesh made this trip also to be a splendid culinaric experience!
In the afternoon, I was free to do whatever I wanted. Sometimes I used the opportunity to explore Goa, with all the wonderful beaches and villages. I found it perfect, not to live in middle of this western lifestyle, as I consider the beachlife with all the tourists to be, but rather take small trips to different places now and then.
I can highly recommend this place to ANYONE who want to explore the yogic way of living! You will get to know some AMAZING people at the same time!! I’ve already started to save up money for my next trip  The sooner, the better!!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank IngeborgSt
Fremantle, Australia
Reviewed November 19, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here about 5 days in November 2013 and my experience was very positive.

I had been traveling through north India and was thoroughly over the noise, pollution and overall madness of these highly touristed areas. Upon stepping through the gates I could feel the serenity and peace enveloping me. It was such a relief.

The rooms are simple, clean and allowed for such a deep and restful sleep. The food was tasty and simple and to my great relief not anything like the typical indian restaurant style, ie excessive amounts of refined oil and spices.
The staff were friendly and allowed you your own space to relax. They didn't 'hang over' you like some places.

The classes and practices they offer are genuine, balanced and effective. I can say this based on many years of studying and teaching yoga and meditation in both Australia and India. You see in India, anybody can become a yoga and meditation teacher overnight. And many do. Even westerners now are becoming teachers after a few weeks of training. Who will stop them?

As a foreigner in India it is very difficult to find a place that offers genuine integrated yoga teaching (ie not just asana or postures) from people who have actually studied and practiced under the guidance of a reputable lineage of teachers. Classical, uncorrupted and integrated yoga teachings are very hard to find these days, but at Swan they propagate the real deal. Gyanmitra is one of the few persons I would recommend to learn from. He has trained in a number of very respectable yogic traditions for a great number of years (not weeks). And he regularly returns to his teacher and ashram at the Bihar School of Yoga for guidance from a living teacher. (This is very important as many places and people start doing and teaching incorrect and unjust things and nobody is there to stop or correct them) He offers classes not just in postures, but also the deeper and more subtle aspects such as breathing practices, deep relaxation, various concentration and meditations, mantras, fire ritual etc.

The managers, Gyanmitra and Shivendra are genuine, honest (a word that I can rarely use in India I might add) and caring people who are not out to make a quick dollar nor have double standards like so many are. From my observation they are running this resort to gain satisfaction from having the opportunity to share the teachings of yoga to those that are interested. And this is felt and reflected in the sincerity and integrity of the management and classes.

There are so many yoga retreats in Goa, but few can compare with Swan based on some of reasons outlined above. So for this I highly recommend going.

• Stayed November 2013
1 Thank Madhavananda
New Delhi, India
Reviewed November 9, 2013

I would fall short of my words praising for this place that i happened to stay between 25th Oct to 05th Nov on my visit to Goa. Morning as i stepped in to the Ashram it gave me such a serene feeling, hearing chirping of words and so was every morning, i was just amazed. The Resort is so beautiful dat i just forgot the rest of the world for a moment. I felt like so connected to nature seeing the lush green around. The resort is all green all around and quiet big one. Cottages are beautiful and well maintained, Staffs are so friendly that i didn't feel away from home. By the time i was leaving the resort, i got so close to the staff working there. Ayurvedic Food was awesome and the staffs were very cooperative and friendly. The tour/yoga class package is very well in budget limit and worth 1000 times the value of money spent.

The Best experience was the awesome Yoga classes from one of the finest Yoga teacher, Dayamurti. Her words were so soothing to ears and the Yoga classes and meditation classes alongwith special techniques classes were excellent. Daya tried to share best of her knowledge to us and besides she was so caring. Given a chance i would love to visit this place again and again. For me its going to remain as lifetime experience....Thanx to Swan Team and Thanx to Dayamurti....

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Niitish
Also consider these accommodations in or near Assagao
Nilaya Hermitage
#7 of 8 in Assagao
Resort Mellorosa
Resort Mellorosa
#15 of 15 in Arpora

Been to SWAN Yoga Retreat? Share your experiences!