“Ok, but not only for 1-2 nights” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel du Vieux Chateau du Dades

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Boumalne Dades
Hotel du Vieux Chateau du Dades
Ranked #25 of 40 Boumalne Dades B&B and Inns
Waterloo, Canada
“Ok, but not only for 1-2 nights”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2010

This hotel was chosen for us by our tour guide as part of our excursion to Southern Morocco and the Sahara, as it was one of the hotels in the Dades Gorge that was popular with the tourists. I had read some bad reviews here so I was a bit concerned, but figured we were only there for 1 night so it was worth saving some money. I must say, I was pleasantly surprised at the condition of the rooms and the bathroom. The room was very spacious, and it had air conditioning. It was clean and quiet at night. We visited in the summer, so I cannot comment about how the heating is in the winter. In our room rate we had included dinner and breakfast. Usually, hotel food is not the best, and usually catered to tourists, but this hotel had fairly authentic Moroccan dishes (probably the best crochettes we had in Morocco), and it was plentifull. Breakfast was also ok - typical with breads, pancakes, tea, coffee and fruit. The bathrooms were nice, and clean, but the only thing that was dissapointing after a long journey was barely any water pressure and no hot water. I think it had something to do with all the tourist coming at the same time and showering at the same time because the hot water returned later in the evening. Pressure however stayed the same. That would be my only complaint about this hotel. The back of the hotel rests right on the Gorge and it has beautiful views of the Valley and the river. They have no internet or phone available. The staff was nice. If this hotel is included in your tour, I wouldn't recommend against it - as it saved us some money, and to me it was probably close to the 'luxury' option that we passed up for the savings.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Travel_Bug81

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Belgium
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2010

due to a last minute change we ended up in this hotel which was supposed to be very good. the superior rooms were dark, dirty and old. we asked for another room, that one was a little bit better, at least brighter, but had half fallen curtains, the door had known better days and the bathroom as well. it was huge though, with a large double bed and 2 single beds. we had a private balcony overlooking the river which was nice. The location in itself is beautiful let's be honest. the restaurant again was dark and not so clean...the food was so-so. according to our guide, the owners have another much newer and nicer hotel a bit further on the road

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
      Sleep Quality

Travelers are raving about these Boumalne Dades hotels

Bologna, Italy
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2010

The stop in this hotel was part of an excursion to Merzouga so I can't really say anything about the price. The location is gorgeous, in a very scenic area of the Dades gorges and the hotel has two terraces over the river.
The staff of the hotel was great: helpful, warm and welcoming.

It was awesome to meet such people after Marrakech, a place where you couldn't really trust anyone, let alone 'connect' in any way with any locals.

After the dinner (which was quite nice, best cous cous that I had in Morocco), part of the staff stopped to chat with us and played music and sang in front of the fireplace.

The real downside of this hotel is that - like pretty much all hotels of the area - it has no heating and in winter the rooms can really be freezing cold. It is also a bit old and the rooms are quite basic, though very clean.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Oslo
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2009

The place has a beautiful location, but "Vieux! is the key word here! It has certainly seen it's better days, if it ever had any!
I start with the positive sides - the staff was very friendly, and the place was quite clean. Also, the location is nice, in the Dades gorge, but to fully appreciate it, you'd have to travel in the summer.

The food was eatable, but nothing more...

And now the biggest problem - the cold!!! The last time I was freezing so much was at 5000 meters above sea level in a mountain hut in Ecuador! There was a heater in the room, all right, but it went off at 10 pm! And not only in my room, but all the other rooms as well! Also, there was not enough warm water in the evening, so I couldn't shower. In the morning warm water came back first at 7 am.
After a night spent at this place it took me several hours to thaw, and a few more hours to get warm. I checked in healthy, and checked out with a bad cold the day after. I ended up with bronchitis a few days later, spoiling the remaining time I had in Morocco!
If you really want to stay there, take with you a lot of blankets or a winter sleeping bag, otherwise you'll get really cold!!!

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with family