“Worst experience ever”

Phi Phi Hotel and Beach Resort
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Morong
Reviewed May 25, 2014

Service: The management did not reply to our queries after we made the downpayment. The staff were unorganized and we always had to follow up the requests every time. No manager was visible to attend to the guests as well. Our food came 2 hours after we ordered.

Food: Their food is cold when served and the utensils that we used were plastic. I doubt that the glassware were even sterilized.

Amenities: Their swimming pool is soiled and the water also most like came from the sea.We did not even dared to swim in there. Even our bathroom water is salty so even if we rinsed after swimming it still feels sticky.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
10  Thank Joanne F

Reviewed May 7, 2014

This just confirm the same frustrations we experienced with the past guests of the beach resort, which should cater for corporate outing or team building rather than for family outing. So Instead of consuming the paid 2 reserved nights via agoda, we just stayed overnight with everyone (8 pax) full of frustration including my grandson of 6 yrs old..

1. ROOMS: We booked for an "Island Dorm" facing the swimming pool area, but was instead given one facing the basketball/playground area (No. 9), with the reason that there was no more available room on that side.
a. The air-con was not strong enough to cool the room the whole day that we kept it working.
b. Although the comfort room was clean and with heater, the unbearable foul smell was so terrible that we even bought deodorizer to neutralize it but to no avail.
c. One of the double deck wooden beds have crack and may collapse injuring the person in the lower deck.
d. Only 3 towels were provided for 8 of us, with the reason that the place was so full and not enough towels were available. Also no blanket was provided even for the kids, so we have to use towel as their blanket.
e. My wife, son and his wife, and a maid have some unexplained feeling and easiness during their sleep, and when they were sharing and discussing about their experiences, my grandson of 1 year old suddenly showing some peculiar behavior as if looking for something and reacting to it for almost half an hour.

2. RESTAURANT: When we went to their so called "Dining Area" and asked for their menu, they don't have any one at all, in which the waitress have to asked from the kitchen what is available.
a. How about the buffet meal? The staff don't have idea about it, so what kind of food shall be served to the kids for dinner? Their funny answer was that only 1 chef report on that labor day (May 1) to accommodate hundreds of guests if not thousand. We even called and inquire from their office before we booked, and was informed that there shall be a cordage fee of Php 100/pax, for food to be bring in but buffet were always available.
b. Since we did not expect this kind of situation, we have to go and source our food from the small kitchenette in the town proper, and just content buying some groceries, improvising tools to grill the fish and meat bought from the market, what's an experience to be back in boy scout days again.

3. SWIMMING POOL: Although we saw them filtrating the water in the morning but NOT cleaning it, The quality of the water is not safe and sanitary, since its quite blared and greenish, so the tiles of the pools is not visible at 3 ft., same with the kiddie pool. And when I try to swim for a few laps, the water taste salty and smelly too, so instead of enjoying the pool to quench the heat, I just have to compliment myself enjoying the cool shower rather than being treated with skin diseases.

4. BOATS RIDE: Although this may not be related to the beach resort, but those banca rental were making a kill on tourist particularly to foreign tourists.
a. For island hopping, they charge Php 2,000.00/banca for 10pax but Php 5,000.00 for foreign tourist.
b. When I tried to hire a boat for fishing, they would charge me Php 1,000.00/hr, that means If we left 5:00am and return noon or about 7 hrs., they would charge me Php 7,000.00.

Feel so sorry to my family members for choosing this hotel,

available room on that side.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
9  Thank rolenghc
Reviewed August 24, 2013

Budget hotel. Food is alright and nothing fancy thou it took a very long time to be served. Phi phi has two swimming pools. The rooms were alright but some rooms are located on the other side of the road. Free wifi thou you can mainly use it only on their dining area as the signal wasn't sufficient enough in our room. Beachfront is good enough, typical brown-ish sand.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank JayPascua
Reviewed March 30, 2013

This is my first time in Bataan, and hope that my choice of stay would be enjoyable and relaxing, unfortunately , I feel sad because I expect too much with the "hotel" ( my son who is 8 yrs old) told me that it's not a hotel, it's more of a house with many rooms.

First I can't complain about the staff, they are friendly , when we arrive at around 1230(which I may say is too early) , they told me to stay in the dining area, and have lunch 1st before checking in, since check in time is at 2pm, so I order our lunch, what's so frustrating, is that their restaurant has limited food to offer, did you know that ordering a " pancit guisado " will take you an hour?.....
Their food range from 250-300++ per order, small serving good for 1 in my opinion but they told us its good for 2-3 person. Lunch was serve after 45 mins, staff are friendly, but the food, they still have to add more .
by then, I hope the 2 rooms are already available, well lucky for me only 1 is available , while the other one was being clean up, (word of advise , after your room being clean, please open the room to aired the smell of the cleanser that they use to mop/ clean the rooms, cause if not it will give you headache the whole night, )
Rooms are clean and spacious , since we booked on a suite room, (picture is the same one on their website), don't have much, 2 beds that is good for 4people with 4 pillows ( I order extra ph50/pillow), tv is still the boxed type, 2chairs and 1 folding table, the bathroom? Well beside the fact that it is too small, sad to say there is also no water :(
Pillows/ linen for bed are clean but the detergent they use are so strong that it stick on the clothes that you wear , maybe they can try a different brand that is not too strong.
Luckily we bought our own water, since there is no complimentary water as well.

Pools are not clean, as I said don't be deceive with the pictures, we thought that pool are big, well sad to say its not. Good thing there is the beach, but it is best to swim on the other side since its cleaner compare with the one in front of them.

Try riding a Banca going to the side where morons star is, the water there is much cleaner .

All in all, if you just want to have a place to sleep in, this is fine, but don't expect too much with "any" amenities, since there is none. It's just a place to sleep on.

I never thought I would say this, I would never recommend this place if you are looking a place that looks like Hyatt or diamond hotel in Manila.

Room Tip: Try another hotel
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
6  Thank anjieqc
Reviewed March 18, 2013

This is our second trip to Morong and our second stay at Phi Phi Hotel and Beach Resort and we enjoyed our stay there both times!

The first time it was just me, my wife and our daughter. We had a fun, relaxing time there which included Valentine's day 2012. Facilities were kept clean, air conditioning worked well, shower, cable TV, etc. were all functioning with nary a problem. Some channels for the cable were in Mandarin yes, but you cannot blame the hotel for this because this is what the cable service can offer in their area. I can't complain regarding this because we didn't go there to watch cable but to enjoy the beach.

On our recent trip, we brought our pet shihtzu and he had a blast playing at the beach! This is a big plus for us pet lovers. However, if you intend to bring your pet, make sure your pet is manageable and that you will practice responsible pet ownership (clean up after him, don't let him poo at the beach, etc.).

The sand on the beach is not white but clean. Roel, the manager, sees to it that the area that belongs to Phi Phi is maintained well. The staff were constantly being trained and preparing for the summer holiday/peak season during our stay and I must say that Roel has been doing a good job.

The internet connection was good. It has been that way during both of our visits. I was even able to work (because I still had to) in both of our stays there. However, expect it to go slow when everybody else goes online. That is normal in any network, but I do hope internet connectivity still improves now that they are working on a new building.

Yes, Phi Phi Hotel and Beach Resort is working on expanding and all the workers were busy as bees constructing a new building right beside the original one when we were there. Maybe its 80% finished by now, I don't know; but I wish them all the best.

The staff were friendly, always greeting us with a smile. They were helpful too and would go the extra mile when I ask them for something that they don't have.

The food was great though they ran out of beef when we were there. Just your common Filipino menu and that suited as fine but I do hope that they expand their culinary offerings.

Will I go back! Of course! We will bring along our friends as well!

(Oh, and last year we went to Pawikan Island. This year we just stayed at the beach and simply relaxed.)

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank ramcar71
Reviewed February 17, 2013

I'll try and make this short because I'm still tired from our two day trip to Morong.

We had planned to stay somewhere else but my sister, who is horribly afraid of birds, was turned off by the pigeon house in that resort. So we moved to Phi-Phi.

The place looks okay. Resembles a love motel. There's a small pool that goes up to 5 feet, and a kiddie pool. Poolside restaurant and huts for those who brought their own food, which we should have done because the food there is expensive. Unreasonably expensive. Think Php 185 for a tiny serving of tapsilog. Plus it generally took them two to three hours to serve our orders, COLD, and we constantly had to chase staff down for utensils, glasses, etc. I ordered a fried egg and some toast for breakfast, thinking it unlikely that they would take too long to serve it, but it took them an hour. Not only that, but they forgot about my husband's order of scrambled eggs and didn't even give me a fork or a drinking glass. I guess they wanted me to eat the egg with my bare hands to save on dishwashing liquid. It's not like the place was bustling with customers, either: it was just us, a party of uhm around 15, and another family of about 10. Most of our two-day stay was spent waiting for our meals. And the food isn't all that good, either. Thank god my sister brought snacks and booze and the management waived the corkage fee.

Our room was clean but it smelled of poop. It smelled of poop when we got there, and it smelled of poop when we left. We reported it to the staff and a girl came by and promised to have someone clean up whatever it was that was causing the smell, but nobody came. They promised to transfer us to another room, but they forgot. So we had to live with the mystery poop smell for a day and a half.

Enjoy the wide array of cable channels: Nickelodeon... in Mandarin. HBO... in Mandarin. V... in Mandarin.

No free toiletries: just a USED mini soap. Blankets had holes. Heated shower.

When we were leaving, a staff member approached us and told us that our room was missing a towel. We checked the three rooms that we rented: no towels were missing.

The staff are nice but untrained, and horribly underpaid (we asked).

Morong, Bataan, of course is beautiful. Clean, clear water with cute little fishies, nice beaches with hermit crabs and shells and the like. Cheap seafood if you buy it from the locals. The locals were pretty nice: we got to know a nice boatman and his nephew. Generally, Morong, Bataan is a wonderful place to vacation in. Just don't stay at Phi-Phi. It's not worth the money.

Room Tip: Avoid Room 7: that's the room with the phantom poop smell. Always order food at least three ho...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
6  Thank totorohead
Reviewed February 14, 2013

We found a nearer alternative to our usual holy week rendezvous in Iba, Zambales with Morong, Bataan. But with convenience comes a higher rate of course. But I did not mind because I enjoyed the short 2.5 hour trip than the 5 hour trip to Iba. I had no reservations at Phi-Phi last year but we were lucky there was 1 room left in the hotel. The room had 2 quuen size beds and 1 double pull-out bed so it was perfect for us 4 adults and 2 kids. The beach could be seen from our hotel veranda. The food choices in Phi-Phi was limited so we bought food to be grilled in the nearby market. Btw, we never leave the house, if on a roadtrip, without boiled egg and adobo just to be safe. We always bring our water heater and rice cooker which was allowed in Phi-Phi so we didn't have food problems. The beach in Morong is clean but the sand is not white. Phi-phi has 2 pools so my kids enjoyed swimming. I commend the hotel staff - from the receptionist to the parking attendant - for being warm and accommodating. They are always around to help guests. But similar to Zambales, there are no night happenings in Morong. But the good thing with Bataan, upon check-out, you can go to nearby Subic to eat and shop. And if you still have energy, go to Treetop adventure.

• Stayed: April 2012
1  Thank Louie_Sebastian
Also consider these accommodations in or near Morong
12 mi away
#2 of 5 in Balanga City
Mangrove Resort Hotel
Mangrove Resort Hotel
#3 of 19 in Olongapo

Been to Phi Phi Hotel and Beach Resort? Share your experiences!